Home Metal Detecting
Options

Wasn;t found with a detector, but pretty neat

Well, this sure isn't metal but I found it in a pile of dirt that was a result of some construction behind an old row house I lived in in Ipswich England back in the 80's. I thought this was very unique in that this appears to be made of flint. I did not think it was possible to get flint so smooth. Stone is about 3in. in diameter, about the size of an average peach. Would love to know what time period it came from and if there is any value to it.

Comments

• Options
    Hey Rhack!

That is a really cool find! I have no clue as to what it is or was used for but I have to agree that it is indeed flint. It shows conchoidal fracturing which is
    "the breakage pattern possessed by most materials which can be successfully flintknapped. When a stone which has this property is struck straight-on, the percussion waves radiates outward from the point of contact in the shape of a cone. The breakage occurs at the outer edge of this cone through the material and if the cone reaches the other side of the piece it will break out in a cone shape."

It is distinctly seen in this picture where it has been broken out.

It would appear to have been drilled by it's aboriginal owner, which maybe a hint at it's use but I'm only knowledgable with American artifacts. I'm trying to find an online site that shows prehistoric artifacts of the UK but have'nt been very succesful.

John
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for looking into it John. Being flint, and knowing that it can fracture so easily I can only imagine how long it might have taken to make the thing. As a side note, there are alot of old churches and homes in the area constructed of flint stones. The outside walls have the stones broken so a nice smooth side is showing. Pretty nice.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    I thought it was a marble until I read 3 inches.
    Cool find. With the old churches and houses being built of the same material, maybe it's decoration for one.
  • Options

<< <i>With the old churches and houses being built of the same material, maybe it's decoration for one. >>

That never occured to me! It's pretty much unheard of in the states, but if old buildings are made of it in the UK that could be a good explanation for it's use.

imageimage
  • Options
    I think it looks too much like a prehistoric tool to be a decoration. I have not seen any type of stone decoration similiar to it. The flint in the buildings does not have any elaborate workings; pretty much softball size stones that received a good whack to split it down the middle for a couple of smooth sided stones. I seen pictures of some sort of North American artifacts that were similiar in size that were used for some type of a game. Maybe used the same there, or maybe as a pestle for grinding spices. Hopefully the mystery will be solved someday. A few years back I was in the British Museum, I was hoping to see one there but no luck. BTW - If anyone ever travels to England for a visit, the museum is a must see.
  • Options

<< <i> I think it looks too much like a prehistoric tool to be a decoration. >>

Or it could be a prehistoric decoration! image

My top 3 guesses would be:
    1. possibly a stone mounted on a septor or staff.
    2. mounted to a short shaft and used as a war club.
    3. one of a number of weights used on a bolas.

It's anyones guess really. image
    imageimage
  • Options
    Very cool .... BBB- Bombs away !!!!