Home Metal Detecting
Options

metal rocks

Found these 'rocks' today. They look and fel like rocks, except that the MD picked them up. Strong VDI of about 30-32 each and every one of them. Funny thing was that I didn't find them in one hole or near each other. They were found in various locations of the tot lot I was searching. I only got aobut 50% of the tot lot searched and it's prbably a 50'x50' area. It wasn't until I got home and ready to scan thme did I see the number 10 on one of them and marks like a ruler. The number 10 is on the other side also. Any ideas on what these might be?What is also interesting is that I also found quite a number of small twisted pieces of metal (that I threw in the trash). Maybe a connection?

Also got $.19 in clad, some decorative squares from some clothing and an "I Am Loved' button.

I found 7 of these, but can't get the scan small enough to show them all and to upload to this site due to file size restriction.

Comments

• Options
    Upload your picturres on another free site there are dozens of them here is one that is easy to use http://www.imageshack.us/.

Metal rocks could always be meteorites.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Hot rocks" are often slag- lavalike cinders left over from ore smelting or coal burning or something like that. I've run across one or two areas that are heavy in such slag.

However, as Man mentioned, there's a slight possibility you could also have bits of meteorites there, which are potentially valuable.

How to tell meteorites from slag? Well, I couldn't really say, having never found a meteorite. Well, once I found a rock that could be a meteorite, but I'm not geologically savvy enough to tell for sure.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, I think “hot rocks” have a VDI # that is like -95; not 30 or 32.
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't know my VDI numbers, not being a White's user (maybe someday!).

I take it the negative VDI's are ferrous metals? Which would mean a 30-32 range reading would be something nonferrous?

Interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Your description of twisted metal and metal rocks reminded me of a site on metal detecting and meteorites I once visited here's the LINKlook around there are many interesting articles.

Did the twisted rock look like the rocks from that site?
  • Options
    Wait, the rocks have the number ten and ruler marks on them? I don't think meteorites crash down with writing on them.
  • Options
    I sure would like to see one, MDless.
    imageimage