Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help With Idenfitying...

Hi All,

I picked up a couple items which I'm having trouble identifying. The first is a jumbo 7-11 disc featuring Wayne Gretzky with the Oilers. (it's about 4 1/2 to 5" in diameter). The second is a pin, just under 1" in diameter, picturing Willie McCovey. The pin says 1969 MLBPA on the side, which would make me think it's the 1969 MLBPA pins, except I also picked up a Joe DiMaggio that looks exactly like the McCovey only it has a red border-- and there's no DiMaggio on the checklist. Stone has agreed to put up the images (thanks Mike!) so they should be up the next time he checks his email.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the items.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Boo
    As you stated, the McCovey pin is from the 69 MLBPA pin - the blue border for NL and red for AL. Don't have a new catalog so I'm not sure of value - but these have probably not appreciated much so I would say the pin is worth like 15$.

The DiMaggio is from a set that is commonly mistaken for the 69 and it is the 1983 MLBPA pin set - instead of 60, there are 36 pins to the set - 18 for each league with the same color designation. The pin is worth in the 15-20$ range. Some may pay more and some may pay less depending on where it is purchased.

Nice pickup on the pins - I'm not a pin collector but have quite a few.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Thanks for the help, Mike! I picked up the 1969 McCovey, Wills, Santo, Spahn and Matthews pins, and I guess the DiMaggio and Berra '83 pins. I paid around 30 for the whole lot, which intuitively seemed like a good deal.
  • Options
    Just a thought on the 7-11 disc. About 1983-1984 I worked at 7-11 kind of helping out. It included all the slurpees I could drink, so I have a bunch of coins from 83, 84 and 85. I also have a 5 or 6 inch Cal Ripken disc from 1985 and a 5 inch Rod Carew disc from 1983 that was placed on top of the Slurpee machine for promotion. After the promotion, we must have had a list of 30 people that wanted the disc. A perk of the job is I dumped the trash and the disc was mine!!
  • Options

<< <i>Just a thought on the 7-11 disc. About 1983-1984 I worked at 7-11 kind of helping out. It included all the slurpees I could drink, so I have a bunch of coins from 83, 84 and 85. I also have a 5 or 6 inch Cal Ripken disc from 1985 and a 5 inch Rod Carew disc from 1983 that was placed on top of the Slurpee machine for promotion. After the promotion, we must have had a list of 30 people that wanted the disc. A perk of the job is I dumped the trash and the disc was mine!! >>

Yes! I also picked up a disc that pictures Boggs and Rose, and the same guy had a Gooden disc that was this size, so it must be from the same issue.

I'd get them graded, but I have no idea if PSA has a holder that's five inches wide. Anyone know how big the Turkey Red holders are?
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know how big the Turkey Red holders are? >>

Boo
    The T3 is 8 X 5 3/4" - so the thing would kind of flop around in there I would guess.

Plus they charge 35$ for grading and holdering that size item - that is kind of pricey IMO.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Boo,

You may want to check the rest of your pins for the copyright line on the edge. The genuine pins have "1969 MLBPA MFG. R.R. Winona, MINN". The unlicensed (read "fake") pins issued around 1983 don't mention Winona, MINN. The McCovey, Wills, Santo, Spahn and Mathews were all part of the 1983 release. Since McCovey and Santo are the only players you listed who are in the legitimate 1969 set, I'd have to assume that they might be suspect as well.

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Yes! I also picked up a disc that pictures Boggs and Rose, and the same guy had a Gooden disc that was this size, so it must be from the same issue. >>

The Boggs, Rose, and Gooden were Sportflics discs, not Slurpee coins. The 1983 Slurpee Jumbo Coins was a set of 12 players and Carew and Reggie Jackson were the only major stars.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes! I also picked up a disc that pictures Boggs and Rose, and the same guy had a Gooden disc that was this size, so it must be from the same issue. >>

The Boggs, Rose, and Gooden were Sportflics discs, not Slurpee coins. The 1983 Slurpee Jumbo Coins was a set of 12 players and Carew and Reggie Jackson were the only major stars. >>

Hi Bob,

I'm not sure about that, as The Boggs/Rose disc I have says 'Slurpee' on the top, (and 'Baseball Superstars' along the bottom).

Are you sure it's made by sportflics?
  • Options
    Boo,

I probably made a "rush to judgement" there. I also mistakenly remembered the '83 Slurpees as being the jumbo size when they were actually the 1-3/4" size. Not sure what the large Carew disk was (might have been an uncatalogued promo).

Here's a list of the 7-11 Slurpee Jumbo coins (from all years). Jumbo will mean 4-1/2" or larger in diameter.

1984 Dale Murphy
    1985 Alan Trammell
    1985 Dave Winfield
    1986 Wade Boggs, George Brett, Pete Rose [looks like this is probably the one you have]

Sorry about that!
    Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Boo,

I probably made a "rush to judgement" there. I also mistakenly remembered the '83 Slurpees as being the jumbo size when they were actually the 1-3/4" size. Not sure what the large Carew disk was (might have been an uncatalogued promo).

Here's a list of the 7-11 Slurpee Jumbo coins (from all years). Jumbo will mean 4-1/2" or larger in diameter.

1984 Dale Murphy
    1985 Alan Trammell
    1985 Dave Winfield
    1986 Wade Boggs, George Brett, Pete Rose [looks like this is probably the one you have]

Sorry about that!
    Bob >>

LOL! Yes, I hadn't 'turned' the coin far enough to pick up the Brett; just the Rose and the Boggs.

Thanks, Bob, for helping me out. And thanks to both you and Mike for help with the pins!