Home Metal Detecting
Options

My first gold ring

Found my 1st gold ring today! I couldn't have been more excited. Also found the sterling silver wedding band that it's scanned with.
Found this metal button. Any help on age? Where can I find more information? No writing on it that I can see.
A .357 magnum shell and a .380 automatic shell.
On top of that $1.03 in clad.

Comments

• Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Sweet! Nice digs, how long were you out there? I cant really tell whats going on with that ring pic, but it looks nice.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet! Nice digs, how long were you out there? I cant really tell whats going on with that ring pic, but it looks nice. >>

In order to scan the gold ring and see the stone and I to stand it on the stone and scan it. The silver wedding band is what it is sitting in for support.
    I was out for approximately 4.5 hrs. hunting a city park. Hits all over the place. a lot of iron huits I didn't dig and multiple hits all over the place. COncentrated effort to nly dig +VDI hits. This ring hit in a +0 (Foil) and the bermuda grass had grown up through it and was tangled around it. Made my day as it was my first godl ring. I kept say 'yes, yes, yes' I was so happy.

Here they are again separately. Also noticed the gold ring as diamond chip.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Found this metal button. Any help on age? Where can I find more information? >>

Ivor Noel Hume's Artifacts Of Colonial America lists different types of one-piece flat buttons like that.

The one-piece flat button was in vogue from the Revolutionary War era well into the mid-1800's. Some had backmarks but many are plain like yours. A few had floral designs or sunbursts engraved on the front of the button.

Is your button copper, brass, pewter, or some generic white metal? I can't really tell from the pic.

I can see a seam on the back of your button, indicating it was cast in a two-piece mold.

My best (wild) guess is that your button dates to the early 19th century, judging from its style, but it's hard to say. The really big copper flat buttons are usually from the late 1700's. By the early 1800's they decreased in size a bit. Often these were gilt or silver- or tin-plated but lose their plating in the ground (though the tinplated ones stand the test of time a bit better, at least in our local soils here).

A flat button is a fairly common find on pre-Civil War sites- not worth so much in itself unless it has rare markings, but definitely a good find and the promise of better things. The sites that produce such buttons often are the ones that produce those nice colonial and early US coins!

Where do you live? I forget. Also, what sorta site did you find the button on? (Edit- aha- I see- a park. Boy, the server's been acting up- froze on me three times while I tried to post.)

Oh, there is one caveat to the discussion above: while one-piece flat buttons of that particular style were made during the early 1800's, there's no guarantee that yours is that old. It's entirely possible that it's a more modern button. It looks nice n' old to me, though. And I've dug quite a few early flat buttons on sites here in SE GA.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Found this metal button. Any help on age? Where can I find more information? >>

Ivor Noel Hume's Artifacts Of Colonial America lists different types of one-piece flat buttons like that.

The one-piece flat button was in vogue from the Revolutionary War era well into the mid-1800's. Some had backmarks but many are plain like yours. A few had floral designs or sunbursts engraved on the front of the button.

Is your button copper, brass, pewter, or some generic white metal? I can't really tell from the pic.

I can see a seam on the back of your button, indicating it was cast in a two-piece mold.

My best (wild) guess is that your button dates to the early 19th century, judging from its style, but it's hard to say. The really big copper flat buttons are usually from the late 1700's. By the early 1800's they decreased in size a bit. Often these were gilt or silver- or tin-plated but lose their plating in the ground (though the tinplated ones stand the test of time a bit better, at least in our local soils here).

A flat button is a fairly common find on pre-Civil War sites- not worth so much in itself unless it has rare markings, but definitely a good find and the promise of better things. The sites that produce such buttons often are the ones that produce those nice colonial and early US coins!

Where do you live? I forget. Also, what sorta site did you find the button on? (Edit- aha- I see- a park. Boy, the server's been acting up- froze on me three times while I tried to post.)

Oh, there is one caveat to the discussion above: while one-piece flat buttons of that particular style were made during the early 1800's, there's no guarantee that yours is that old. It's entirely possible that it's a more modern button. It looks nice n' old to me, though. And I've dug quite a few early flat buttons on sites here in SE GA. >>

I don't know what kind of metal it is. How do I tell.
    After reviewing it further, it looks like one piece.
    I found it at a city park which has the site of the 1st jail in the city (peoria, az). After thinking about this further though I found it in the bermuda grass that they put it at one time, so I'm not digging original soil that the site was on. I've pulled a lot of clad from the place, but no silver or wheats, so it's highly doubtful that this button is old either. I just got a little excited cuz I knew I was digging on a site from the 1800s, but not thinking that it wasn't the original soil I was diggning, it was the bermuda grass laid on top of it.
    I cleaned it up in lemon juice, nothing more stands out. Wife thinks it's modern based on design. How can I tell for sure?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened to your pictures of it?

It could well be modern. Hard to say. If the site is from the 1800's, it could also be from that period, regardless of them putting sod in. I have found early-1800's buttons as shallow as a quarter of an inch deep in some places, and an 1829 half dime in the grassroots. You never can tell.

But from what you say, it is rather starting to sound like it might be more modern. Oh well.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Congrat's on your first gold ring!!!!HH,Tom
  • Options

<< <i>What happened to your pictures of it?

It could well be modern. Hard to say. If the site is from the 1800's, it could also be from that period, regardless of them putting sod in. I have found early-1800's buttons as shallow as a quarter of an inch deep in some places, and an 1829 half dime in the grassroots. You never can tell.

But from what you say, it is rather starting to sound like it might be more modern. Oh well. >>

Here's the pics again. Don't know what happened to them..

I tried scanning agin for better details..