My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Yet another impressive piece!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Wow! High grade and only 500 minted - I'd like to have that myself.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the recent Fil-American stuff I've been seeing is really tempting me to stray down that path. I would only be interested in the Sovereignty period, though- the Commonwealth coins just don't interest me as much. It's something about that shield with the eagle on it. I like that so much better than the Commonwealth shield.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Jet, looks like a very good strike. If the fields are clean under that residue, you may have a real gem. Possibly a good candidate for NCS restoration.

Lord M, please, join the bandwagon. I'll hook you up!! image
  • Options

You know what I was thinking about it. So, you think after restoration , submit the coin to NGC or PCGS? Please advise..
    jetblack740il

==================================

Complete US-PHIL Coins for Sale, Circulation Strikes 1903-1945
  • Options

I would say NCS and then NGC. You can submit to both on one form.

• Options
    Superb Specimen!!!!

I appreciate the give-away, count me in!!! image
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    OmiGod-beautiful!!!! Congratulations to you!

Er, what does Possibly a good candidate for NCS restoration. mean?... and why?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I wondered about this myself, actually. In general, I believe conservation should be reserved for coins that need to be helped. But one person's definition of being helped might be different than another's. To me, it's a no-brainer to conserve a coin that is being damaged, ie active PVC. However, beyond that, the line between conserving and not conserving becomes blurry. I believe the subject as it relates to this coin is to improve the rather unattractive fingerprints and cruddy appearance from the coin. I doubt the fingerprints are harming the coin, but I do feel the "beauty" of the coin leaves something to be desired. Next question, obviously, is can NGC actually permanently improve the appearance of this copper without damaging it? I have my doubts, but others obviously feel it's possible.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

Jest, I also don't know if it will work on bronze. I tried it with silver once and it came out beautifully. I don't know what techniques they use, but I, like you, value eye appeal. I guess it's really up to the owner if he wants to spend $10 or $20 to try it.
  • Options
    Dear Jetblack

If you want to fool around with cleaning (conserving) the coin yourself, get some cheap schlock bronzes and mess those coins up first. Don't experiment on a beaut like that 08 proof.

But your other idea is pretty good too. I've heard a lot of good things about the NCS restoration process.

If you go that way, please let us know how it turns out.

And M'lord Marcovan -- We'd love to have you on board as a fellow US-Philiphile, but it would have to be an un-holey collection -- I can't remember seeing any but one or two holed coins, and none since I learned that you collected them.

All the best,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    I have 1908 5 cents proof that has PVC contaminant and send it for conservation. This is what it looks like prior to conservation.
  • Options
    Sorry, that was after conservation.
  • Options
    Attached picture is prior to conservation.
  • Options
    here it is. With the bronze i think i will have to wait.

• Options
    UPDATE: I decided to cracked these two 1908 proof coins after PCGS slabbed it at PF61BN. Sent it to NCS then NGC , came back 1/2 centavo PF62BN and One centavo came back PF63RB. The images of these coins are not available yet. I'll post it when I get it back.
    jetblack740il

• Options
    results after conservation from PCGS PF61BN to NGC PF63RB
    imageimage
    jetblack740il

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Great coin!! By the way, how does one determine if it is a proof or regular strike? image -Dan
  • Options
    business strike was minted in san francisco and the proof from philadelphia
    jetblack740il

• Options

<< <i>Great coin!! By the way, how does one determine if it is a proof or regular strike? image -Dan >>

For 1903-1904, there is no definitive diagnostic (at least, not one that I know of -- and I've asked a lot of people, including someone who used to grade coins for NGC). The fields and devices being different is the tell tale, and the 1904 issues are really hard to see since most of them were struck nicely.

For 1905-1908 (except 1907), I think all coins struck by the Philadelphia mint (no mint mark) are the proofs.
    This is fun! =)