Home Metal Detecting
Options

A little help please!

I am 21 years old... and when I was younger (9 or 10) if I remember correctly, maybe a little older... my mother lost her wedding ring in the front yard of our house. It was a beautiful ring, however, my mom has sence turned south (drugs, really bad drugs) and I have contemplated taking a metal detector (Im buying one anyways for coins) up to her house and trying to find the ring in hopes of giving it to my upcoming fianciae (family tradition, and if I gave it back to my mom, she would just sell it for drug money... I find it funny a piece of her jewelry comes up "stolen" every few months). What I was wondering... is over the course of 10-15 years, how far down could the ring be?? Is is possible to find it or could it have gone to far down in the ground over the years?? No plowing, a couple blizzards, and a freezing winter (Ohio). Just trying to find out what the possibility of finding it would be. thanks!!!

William

Comments

• Options
    PghpetePghpete Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    IMO, the ring should be no more than a couple of inches in the ground. You need to get as much information as you can as to where in the yard your mom lost the ring. I would do a lot of overlapping with my search pattern and turn my discrimination way down, if not off. Since gold shows up really anywhere between the nickel range and pulltab range, you'll have to dig up every signal. If the search area is relatively small, and your first scanning of the area doesn't find the ring, I'd search it again at a right-angle from the first scanning pattern. Take your time, and good luck.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Could be four feet above ground if someone else found it 15 years ago when it was "lost". Hope you find it for your fiance, it would be a candidate for an award.

Joe
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    I too think you have a good chance of finding the ring. I would guess 2 to 4 inch in depth.
    That should be in range of most detectors.
    Take a sample of the approximate size ring, and run your detector over it. Note the sound/reading that you get.
    Hold the coil higher and try again.

Good Luck

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    This is going to sound pretty horrible, but I have to say it anyway for your safety. Not sure what the situation is, but if drugs are involved......well, maybe some used needles are too. If you get a signal and start digging, make sure you dig with a tool and not your hands. May sound silly, but you don't want to be on the receiving end of a used needle. Good Luck on your hunt and hopefully this whole "lost" ring wasn't just a story you were told as a young boy. If you don't mind me asking either.....what kind of family tradition would take away a woman's wedding ring and give it to her son's fiancee?
  • Options
    I understand your concern... and its not a story. I specifically remember her loosing it. I know she did. And its not a tradition to take away a wedding ring, however, when the grandmother (or oldest woman obviously) passes away, she passes the ring down (she will be buried with her proceeding mother) therefor, my grandmas ring would go to my mom, and then when my mom passes away, her ring would go to my wife, and so on and so forth... I am very close to my grandparents... they raised me from 0-10 or so, and then 15 until I left for the Marines. When I go home, I stay with them, and everything. I know that I will be getting that ring... but I would like to somehow get my mom back on the right track before she kills herself and keep things going.

The ring is in the front yard... and the yard isnt that big. No one ever found it (unless some stranger happened to walk through the yard and somehow find it... lol)

As far as drugs go... shes not doing anything with needles (that we know of) but mostly crack and weed. I still will take your advise because you do never know, and that would really suck.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry your Mom hase chosen that road...If you just want to find the ring and not detect
    I would suggest renting one for that purpose.Good luck.
    Al
  • Options
    Yeah... me and my stepdad have done everything to help, but so far it hasnt worked.

I have wanted to get a detector when I return from Japan just for detecting coins... so I figured I would take a trip up to visit the family and see if I could find it. I just wanted some suggestions as to just how hard it might be finding it specifically.