Home Sports Talk
Options

NAACP Leader Rips McNabb; QB Answers Back

stevekstevek Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
NAACP Leader Rips McNabb; QB Answers Back
Philadelphia Branch Head Says Quarterback 'Played the Race Card'
By ROB MAADDI, AP

PHILADELPHIA (Dec. 14) - Donovan McNabb is still taking shots - the latest from an NAACP leader who criticized the quarterback's leadership skills and said he "played the race card" in explaining why he no longer runs the ball.

J. Whyatt Mondesire, who publishes a newspaper for blacks and is the president of the Philadelphia branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, recently wrote that the Eagles' star quarterback failed as a team leader and choked in the Super Bowl.

McNabb responded sharply, but Mondesire hasn't changed his stance.

"He doesn't get it," Mondesire said Wednesday. "If he got it, I wouldn't have written the article."

Mondesire, publisher of the Philadelphia Sunday Sun, criticized McNabb in a column in his newspaper on Dec. 4.

He wrote that McNabb's tendency to run the ball early in his career "not only confused defenses, it also thrilled Eagles fans," but that abandoning that element "by claiming that 'everybody expects black quarterbacks to scramble' not only amounts to a breach of faith but also belittles the real struggles of black athletes who've had to overcome real racial stereotypcasting in addition to downright segregation."

Mondesire said the bottom line is that McNabb is "not that good."

"In essence Donny, you are mediocre at best," Mondesire wrote. "And trying to disguise that fact behind some concocted reasoning that African American quarterbacks who can scramble and who can run the ball are somehow lesser field generals ... is more insulting off the field than on."

McNabb was stunned by Mondesire's comments.

Ronald Martinez, Getty ''When someone of the same race talks about you because you're selling out because you're not running the ball, it goes back to, 'What are we really talking about here?'''

"Obviously, if it's someone else who is not African American, it's racism," McNabb told reporters attending his annual holiday party last Saturday. "But when someone of the same race talks about you because you're selling out because you're not running the ball, it goes back to, 'What are we really talking about here?'

"If you talk about my play, that's one thing. When you talk about my race, now we've got problems. If you're trying to make a name off my name, again, I hope your closet is clean because something is going to come out about you ... I always thought the NAACP supported African Americans and didn't talk bad about them. Now you learn a little bit more."

McNabb's season ended last month when he decided to have surgery for a sports hernia. It's been a miserable year for the five-time Pro Bowl selection, starting with his feud with now-banished wideout Terrell Owens.

Mondesire wrote that McNabb shared the blame for Owens' departure.

"Finally, your failure as a team leader off the field to my mind did as much as anything to exacerbate the debacle that has become synonymous with T.O.'s full name."

Mondesire said the article expressed his opinion of McNabb, not the view of the NAACP. When Rush Limbaugh said on ESPN two years ago that McNabb is overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed, the NAACP criticized the conservative commentator and called on him to quit. Limbaugh resigned from ESPN three days later.

Mondesire said McNabb's agent, Fletcher Smith, called him after the story appeared. He returned the call twice, but hasn't spoken to McNabb.

McNabb had a strong start this season, throwing for 1,333 yards and 11 touchdowns while leading the Eagles to a 3-1 record. But he was bothered by injuries and struggled over the next several games before going on injured reserve.

McNabb clearly wasn't the same quarterback who led the Eagles to the NFC championship game the last four years. He threw a costly interception in the fourth quarter in each of his last three games, and had nine picks this season.

Overall, McNabb passed for 2,507 yards, 16 TDs and had a passer rating of 85.0 this season. McNabb was reluctant to leave the pocket this year. He had just 55 yards rushing on 25 carries, including several kneel-downs.

McNabb's problems with Owens dominated the headlines most of the year. Their issues began when Owens dissed McNabb after the Eagles lost to New England in the Super Bowl last February. The two didn't speak for a prolonged period, but performed well on the field together.

Owens was suspended last month for a series of infractions and critical public comments about McNabb and the organization, dating to his offseason demands for a new contract. An arbitrator later upheld the Eagles' decision to deactivate him for the remainder of the season.

12/14/05 21:28 EST

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    This 'author' really, really sounds like a pissed off fan, not mad at McNabb for not wanting to be a running QB anymore.

How can someone overlook 4 straight NFC championship games, and a super bowl appearance? I by no means am a McNabb apologist, but the author is just nuts and looking to get his name in the paper.

Charles Barkley was on the radio talking about it, and he said 'of all the problems in Philly, THIS is what the guy wants to address?'

Just goes to show that some Philly fans can be completely out of control and really need to learn some constraint.

• Options
    You have to be kidding.....the NAACP has nothing better to write about than this?

How does putting this into print make anything, or anyone better? What is the advantage of the article?

How is this guy defining failure?...not winning a super bowl?.....come on!
  • Options
    The guy who wrote the letter has faxed a letter to ESPN saying not to associate his comments with the NAACP...too late, it seems the president of the organization is taking actions against the author.

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The author is an idiot.

Another chapter in the 2005 Eagles season.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an odd article. In todays NY Daily News the author shot BACK at McNabb's answer and stood right behind every comment he made, and even added a few more. Man, this guy must have lost a couple big bets on the Eagles in the past couple years.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>

How can someone overlook 4 straight NFC championship games, and a super bowl appearance? >>

But Ax, according to your logic used in other threads, these were four straight "NON WINNING" seasons and is the basis in which you use to judge other professional athletes whom you don't like. What gives?

Told you that kind of thinking is baseless image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

How can someone overlook 4 straight NFC championship games, and a super bowl appearance? >>

But Ax, according to your logic used in other threads, these were four straight "NON WINNING" seasons and is the basis in which you use to judge other professional athletes whom you don't like. What gives?

Told you that kind of thinking is baseless image >>

softie-

you're a moron...that is a fact.

What I've said is he chokes under big game pressure...but that doesn't make him a bad QB. Your anologies are flawed (as usual)...but I wouldn't suspect you would understand nuances such as this.

• Options

<< <i>[softie-

you're a moron...that is a fact.

What I've said is he chokes under big game pressure...but that doesn't make him a bad QB. Your anologies are flawed (as usual)...but I wouldn't suspect you would understand nuances such as this. >>

Nope, all I did was point out your biased opinions that are based on your own envy. And THAT is obvious. Thanks for digging your own hole deeper

• Options
    please-

envious of whom, exactly?

McNabb is painted in this article as both a bad quarterback and betraying all blacks because he wants to be more of a pocket passer than a running QB.

He's wrong on both counts...his stats speak for themselves in the regular season. I have never disputed he puts up good numbers, idiot.

What I *have* mentioned numerous times is his inability to come up with the big win (much the same as Peyton) and seems to choke under pressure in big situations. There's nothing envious about that, that is my opinion based on his inability to close out big games.

As much as you'd like to think otherwise, I really don't give football player's lives any thought...it only matters (to me, at least) is how they perform on the field. YOU'D like to paint me as some sort of obsessive compulsive whose life revolves around wishing ill on anyone who's in a better situation. To which I'd kindly tell you that you are dead wrong.

Now, go bark up someone else's tree. I'm through with you, you little annoying gnat.
  • Options
    ax, what are you talking about? I am NOT IN ANY WAY saying McNabb is this or that. Can you read?

What I AM SAYING is that your opinions are extremley inconsistent. In one thread you berate a athlete becuase he has not won a title in five years, and the next you are pumping up a athlete who has done the same.

Does this sink into your granite head? Hey, its not me big guy, its your own mouth that highlites your biased nature.

• Options
    Yes - Mondesire is a jerk. From his description of the way McNabb plays, almost sounds like a Cowboys fan talking - LOL
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    who was the last black "running" QB to win a super bowl? Has one ever won the super bowl? Last time I checked football was a team sport.
    Take a look at the QB's who have rings....Dilfer, Brady, Johnson, Warner......

This guy is an idiot. Defense wins championships, not running QB's

JS
  • Options
    <<< This guy is an idiot. Defense wins championships, not running QB's >>>

Agreed. This jack*ss Mondesire probably has an agenda of some type, but I sure can't figure out what it is and I'm not even going to try.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm confused.

Hasn't McNabb talked in the past about not wanting to be known as a running QB, the reason being that because he is black people expect him to run? Hasn't he made these comments because he does not want to be stereotyped, with his reasoning being that he believes people think running QBs are not mentally capable of leading a standard offense?

Didn't Reid pretty much allow McNabb to avoid running last year and this year?

Now I don't know about people questioning his "blackness" which seems to be the issue in Philly right now. I don't care if he paints his a$$ pink and wears a tutu on off weeks.

The problem for me is this. If physically you are a running QB and you can help your team by doing so, then you had better do it. Capitalize on your strengths and the he!! with what anyone thinks. Who cares if people compare you to Joe Gilliam or Randall Cunningham? Tell them about Fran Tarkenton and Joe Montana.

You get paid to do what comes best for you, not paint an athletic picture of yourself that you hope will be your legacy. You do whatever it takes because the team comes first. That is leadership. Win damnit, then tell everyone to kiss your a$$.