Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Viewing registry sets....(or not)

Hello, I have noticed you cannot view the make ups of some registry sets. These are usually in the top ten. Is this a strategy to insure the top ranking by depriving your "competitors" inside knowledge? If so do you believe this should be allowed. I do not profess the ability to get my collection in the top ten but it would be nice to see the make up of the coins in those top sets. I red with great interest and awe of "The Vault Experience". The Lincoln Cents described are to me unimaginable. This whole collecting thing is new to me and all the varieties of wonderful coins out there are sometimes overwhelming! However I will keep my focus. Happy Holidays, Mark McClary

Comments

• Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

I believe that some collectors choose to keep their sets hidden until they are finished to
    prevent them from being held "hostage" from sellers trying to sell them a coin they need
    to add or upgrade. Knowing that someone needs a certain coin can give them leverage
    in determing the price they want for a coin. The word "ransom" comes to mind. image
  • Options

<< <i>Mark,

I believe that some collectors choose to keep their sets hidden until they are finished to
    prevent them from being held "hostage" from sellers trying to sell them a coin they need
    to add or upgrade. Knowing that someone needs a certain coin can give them leverage
    in determing the price they want for a coin. The word "ransom" comes to mind. image >>

Typically this is why most sets are closed. Although I have not had this happen to me, it has happened to a friend of mine. I do keep some of my sets locked until I consider them complete then I tend to open them back up.
  • Options
    "I believe that some collectors choose to keep their sets hidden until they are finished to
    in determing the price they want for a coin. The word "ransom" comes to mind."

You mean there are unscupulous dealers that would do that? image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closing the set also keeps the other set builders from knowing what you’re looking for on eBay, Heritage, or TeleTrade. Some of the top coins don't come out to play all that often and the completion for them can be heated.
  • Options
    Having the top place locked up by a wide margin and not showing your coins hurts the hobby overall. Just don't post the set if it's still active--or delete it after you see where you stand.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Frankly, I don't see the point of even registering a set if you're not willing to share it with other collectors.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes a dandy online insurance record.

Sometimes opening a collection is a process. Even those that usually have their sets open choose to close them when a big auction is appearing so as to not tip their hand. I can understand both sides of the issue and have chosen to have my sets open. But I won't castigate those who feel differently.
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like to see sets that are hidden.

I also don't like private feedback on ebay.

I think both are a bad idea.

Robert
  • Options
    I hear both sides of the agument and I agree that it sucks to see the sets locked. However I will still continue to lock my sets when I am builidng them and there are only a few coins left to obtain. The reason I do this is to keep certain people from knowing which coins I need.

After I consider the set to be complete I unlock my sets for all too see, like my 1980 mint set. For the better part of this year, that set was locked (feb-july). After the deadline for sets to be complete passed I unlocked that set for all to enjoy.

The next set I am working on, which will take a few years to finish, will probably be locked for a while until I find some of the coins I need to complete it.

Zach
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<Frankly, I don't see the point of even registering a set if you're not willing to share it with other collectors.

Russ, NCNE>>

image If possible post images too.

link
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    Yeah Zach,

I remember that... imageimage
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    I chose to have mine open. I will close it if I am up to something, but I think of my coins as works of art that should be shared. I have worked hard to build an aesthetically pleasing collection, and so why not let other see it?

I have yet to get ransomed...
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have yet to get ransomed... >>

Not surprising. I've yet to see anybody prove that it actually happens. More likely it's just paranoia.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Not surprising. I've yet to see anybody prove that it actually happens. More likely it's just paranoia.

Russ, NCNE >>

Can't be paranoia, all of us coin collectors are too well adjusted mentally. image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I chose to have mine open. I will close it if I am up to something, but I think of my coins as works of art that should be shared. I have worked hard to build an aesthetically pleasing collection, and so why not let other see it?

Then why did you close yours right before Morse? I seem to recall you didn't want to get run up on your coin. image

It happens.

I have yet to get ransomed...

That's because you collect Saints - except for a few coins, they're too plentiful to ransom anyone over. image
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Closing for an auction only makes sense...as for your attitude towards Saints why do yu finance Laura's obsession with them if they are so crappy. HA!
  • Options

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ: It happend to a friend of mine just a few months ago and he was pissed. Although it has never happened to me, yet!

<< <i> Yeah Zach,

I remember that... >>

Ernie: Sorry about that, I just really really wanted to have the #1 1980 set, that year is the most important to me. Good to see you around again.
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my question. I know that a much more exciting off topic thread was going on at the same time...I have learned another aspect of collecting registry sets because of your posts. Happy Holidays, Mark
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I definately think they should stay open. But after reading some of these posts it sounds like a few people have gotten screwed price wise by doing so. The best thinking I have seen so far is to temporarily shutdown before an auction you want to go for but I think it should definately open shortly after for all to see. With PICS.