Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

To the Management: Please clear the weirdo off the 1960-D thread

Dear People:

I started a discussion regarding the recent auction of the 1960-D Jefferson graded MS 64, Full Steps. Good discussion; lots of great stuff about Jeffersons and full steps: pro, con, left, right, up, down. And a fair share of sarcasm and mockery from those who don't like the Jefferson Nickels -- but that's fine; it's part of the game.

But there there are some real weirdos out there, and some of them have no concept of the limits of civilized discourse. One of them came to that thread. I don't have to tell you which one it is, as you read it you'll know in an instant which one I'm talking about.

Please get that creep off the thread and get rid of his post(s). Coin collectors should not have to wade through sewers to get to numismatic content.

And I know it's hard, but you gotta do things like that or else you'll let the weirdos drive away the people you want -- the serious collectors.

A case in point: about a year ago, a young collector of the US-Philippines started to post under the moniker "Bright Young Filipina." Some creep started harassing her. Every post she made was followed by an obscenity in Tagalog posted by one idiot. Brilliant bon mots like "Kiss my ---". "Eat my ----" TO your credit you cleaned out several of his posts, but you didn't stop the guy from coming after her. She quit and when I met up with her in Manila, she said it was "like being stalked" -- every time she posted, he was right there behind her.

Another case in point: A major dealer recently visited me and this guy had been the class act of the Registry Set Forum. A true gentleman and one with an amazing knowledge of the coins series that he loves. In the course of a two-day conversation, I asked him why he rarely posted anymore. He said essentially the same thing: As soon as he started a thread, the cranks and weirdos would jump in. It just got too discouraging for him and too hard to maintain a coherant flow. The result: you lost an important numismatic scholar to these boards.

So please, do what you have to do to restore basic civility to the thread.

Thank you,

Just Having Fun

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In his defense he usually keeps these baseless attacks in the modern bashing threads
    and he is a very passionate collector. It is certainly aggravating that he refuses to reply
    to counter arguments and just takes the attacks to other threads.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might need to be clear regarding who you are talking about JHF - my initial impression is that each of the above posts are directed at different people.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    so....

Michael is a "Weirdo and a Creep" and you imply he is a stalker and not a serious collector as well?

and this thread titled

<< <i>To the Management: Please clear the weirdo off the 1960-D thread >>

, is definitely "basic civility" towards Michael, right?

I'm not sure what you found so offensive about his comment that warranted a new thread to bash on him under the guise of restoring civility.

Michael is Michael. He doesn't candy coat ANYTHING regardless of the holder or the AGE of the coin.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so....

Michael is a "Weirdo and a Creep" and you imply he is a stalker and not a serious collector as well?
    >>

Please take a deep breath and reread the last page of the thread again. I'll bet you a 1960-D nickel JHF is not talking about michael.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Censorship! The post in issue was one of the wittiest pieces have read on this board. Frankly, I laughed out loud. But then again, they censored Lenny Bruce.

CG
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>so....

>>

Please take a deep breath and reread the last page of the thread again. I'll bet you a 1960-D nickel JHF is not talking about michael.

Sean Reynolds >>

Deep COLD breaths.....out snowblowing......

The Nipple comment?

I found that funny.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    TDN is not a weirdo! A little quirky, perhaps.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    This forum gets weirder by the day. image
  • Options

<< <i>This forum gets weirder by the day. >>

IRISHMIKE It could get worse.image
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed
  • Options

it's been pointed out to me, politely via PM, that I am blind.image
  • Options
    Dear Clad King: I wasn't referring to people like Michael. They come with the with turf. Please read Sean Q's post.

Thank you Trade Dollar Nut and Sean Q: You got it right. Thank you.

Hello Goose 3:

Sorry, but you're wrong on all counts.

(a) I wasn't referring to Michael

(b) I never said or implied that the weirdo was not a serious collector. I don't know nor do I care to find out.

(c) I never said or implied I was being stalked.

Please stick to what I said and go in peace.

And Cal Gold:

You're barking up the wrong tree regarding Lenny Bruce and me.

When I was a young man, I spent two weeks in the hoosegow because I was fighting for his right to say what he was saying. One of my real regrets in life is that his triumph (and mine) came too late to do him any good. Great man, great comic, and I still enjoy the occasional recording friends send me.

And newspapers have an absolute right to print or not print letters to the editor as they see fit. Ditto for the management of this Forum.

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Hi JHF,
    I just ran thru the whole thread and didn't see who you are referring to.

B00M
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Justhavingfun,

Regarding Lenny Bruce, the other day on NPR radio (I don't suppose you get that in Thailand, pity) Terry Gross was inteviewing the author of a book on Yiddish on her "Fresh Air" program. He pointed out that Lenny Bruce hepled bring Yiddish words into the American lexicon, albiet many were vulgarisms. Terry and the author (his name escapes me) then got into a discussion of the difference between "schmuck" and "putz." Something that would have been unheard of in Lenny Bruce's day.

While you viewed the offensive post as the work of someone who was being a putz, I believe that the person in question was Just Having Fun.

CG
  • Options

<< <i>Hi JHF,
    I just ran thru the whole thread and didn't see who you are referring to.

B00M >>

JHF, same here, I have no idea who you are referring to, or what the offending posts were. Were the posts removed?
  • Options
    The only thing I saw that was lewd was Stewart's Blaytant "full nipple" comment ... talk about wading through sewers to get numismatic content !!! However, that seemed to amuse the originator of the thread rather than offend him.

Sunnywood
  • Options
    I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

There are enough wierdos around here that I'll just have to hope we don't all get banned. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart's Blaytant

how punny... image
  • Options
    Well I know I criticised by way of explanation JHF's comments and supported TDN's criticism of getting all exited about one little area of a coin instead of looking at it overall--I refered to Q. David Bower's quote about looking at the Full Head of SLQ's instead of the (to him and ME!!) full shield rivets and Liberty's boob--image Lord Master Stewart, one the great collectors here, and chimed in about the importance of the nipple too-- presumably over a "good head"-- but JHF seemed to take my critical comments, poor puns, and constructively-meant suggestion of giving a numerical grade on the holder to the steps, in the spirit of a lively discussion.

The only wierd or offbeat comment IMHO pertained to a "turd on a stick" being offered the the explorer Cooke in Tonga and attributed to Bowers and indirectly at my reference. That scarcasm did belong in a sewer (litereally) but then so do most of my comments too, so I just read on-- image One thing I'm SURE about, as we speak some dealers are looking at the steps of their 60's "D" mint nickel rolls for the first time...
    morgannut2
  • Options

<< <i> One thing I'm SURE about, as we speak some dealers are looking at the steps of their 60's "D" mint nickel rolls for the first time... >>

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF QDB can talk about turds on a stick in a national publication, I don't think it is too crude for this place.

EDIT: To the Management: Please move this OT thread to the open forum.
    Doug
  • Options
    It was the Maid, in the study, with a Pipe Wrench! image
  • Options
    Why all the fuss about pocket change ?

• Options

<< <i>Why all the fuss about pocket change ? >>

OK. OK. It's still not funny.

I hate it when stuff gets linked to the open forum. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    JustHavingFun,

It doesn't seem like you're having too much fun, maybe you should reregister with a more appropriate handle. DMWJR actually made an intelligent argument, and used a familiar industry 'known' anecdote to get his point across. Just because you don't agree with him doesn't mean that his posts should be removed. Many people here disagree with your lack of a sense of humor, does that mean that you should be removed?
  • Options
    It's not overly difficult to be offended by the post. Few of us show much sense of humor when offended.

Perhaps it would be best to just let this die. I, for one, would like to see it sink.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    It's funny PERIOD.

shall we go and chastise QDB as well?

maybe we could start a thread about him?

would he be a Weirdo?

Great stuff!
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    QDB is sort of a weirdo, but that's what makes him great. image
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I, for one, would like to see it sink. >>

Try increasing your fiber intake.

That is on topic for this thread, isn't it? image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I, for one, would like to see it sink. >>

Try increasing your fiber intake.

That is on topic for this thread, isn't it? image

Sean Reynolds >>

You're sure the problem isn't the stick or the threat of it? image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    imageOh Brother! Found it. I think it's actually sorta funny!image
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    The cost of a 1960-D Nickel,

"It is a coin that was once touted as the “first $100,000 Jefferson,” ... offered to me (and passed on) at $40,000 ... sold to someone else at auction at $32,000 (I didn’t bid) ... and now again at a (Bowers & Merena) auction, it came to me at a lowly $9,750 ($11,212 including the auctioneer’s vigorish"

The cost of a sense of humor,

Priceless image
  • Options

The cost of a sense of humor,

Pricelessimage

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>imageOh Brother! Found it. I think it's actually sorta funny!image >>