Home Metal Detecting
Options

A tale of redemption!

Here is another adventure for all of you poor MDers stuck inside waiting for the ground to thaw...

Today: 60's and sunny

So after yesterday's failed expedition I decided to go somewhere that didn't require a hike to get to and was a little more trash friendly. I headed out to this little old park in the old town of Mesilla west of my home town. Here is a pic of the location...

Once I arrived I went to work near the water fountain, but a group of wannabe thugs came to hang out in the park. They stayed for about an hour laughing quietly from a distance. Screw em, I wasn't leaving until I got my redemption!

Bingo! Pulled a couple of cents from near the water fountain and felt better already. After pulling a few more coins from underneath the monkey bars I decided to check out the adjoining baseball field which also looked very promising (notice the same mountains in the background from yesterday's journey image)

Unfortunately the ground here was really hard and my screwdriver could only make it a half inch into the ground. I wasnt picking up too many signals there anyways so I headed back over near the swingsets in the park. After locating two quarters right next to each other, I found a very large signal coming from 6 inches. For some reason I could not locate this target and ended up digging a much larger hole than I wanted to. (Still learning pinpointing, sometimes it's easier than others) Nevertheless, I was able to find this interesting bracelet object of unknown material:

After I dug this item, there was still a solid .25/.50 signal coming from the hole saying 6 inches deep. By then the hole was so wide that the detector was saying this over void space (6 inches deep). Could this have been the "halo" effect left over from the large bracelet? I wasn't able to locate the second object and my hole was already bigger than I wanted it to be. Too bad too because I really wanted to know what was giving that signal at 6 inches. SILVER?! I filled back in my hole, dumped my trash and called it a day after about 2 hours.

I know that PocketPieceCommems would have found 150 coins in this time, but I'm still getting started. image All in all, we made out with some clad and a funky bracelet. Oh and also some small t-square looking thing with millimeter markings going up the sides. Who knows? image

Haha, well nothing too special but I still have a good time and the weather is perfect. You can all laugh at me in the summer when its 115 F here and I'm locked up inside with the AC. Hope you liked the trip.

Joe
Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm already liking your posts- pics of the sites are nice to see- gives one more of a sense of being there. This is why I love Zot's posts so much- all the action shots and scenery and critters, plus the cool finds!

That's a nice looking park.

What's the little L-shaped corner doodad?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Thanks, the park I was searching in is on land that was heavily occupied during the Civil War period. Much of the land is still like it was back then.

As for the L shaped metal thing... it has millimeter notches with centimeter labels going up the sides. Maybe some kind of drawing tool? Dug it up under the monkey bars.

Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    Nice pics.
    "While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die." ---Leonardo da Vinci