Home Metal Detecting
Options

My first coin!!!

After getting home from work today I decided to pull out my new Bounty Hunter and kill some time by looking around my front yard. My home was built in 2001 in an area that was pasture land prior to the neighborhood being developed. I didn't expect to find anything, but I thought it would give me a chance to learn the machine a little. My first hit ended up being a bottle cap from a soft drink. About five feet from that I got a hit that showed as a penny at 4 inches. I dug and at about 4 inches I found a penny. I covered my hole, and headed in the house to check out my penny. I could tell that it wasn't very old because the Lincoln Memorial was on the back. After cleaning away the dirt on the front, I saw that it was a 1998. I guess one of the construction workers that built the house dropped it. I know that this is worth nothing, but I am estatic. Finding it gave me some faith in my machine and myself. I cannot wait for spring so that I can go out and actually do some hunting. It is hard to do alot in the Ozark mountains during the winter. Anyway, I know this isn't a great find, but it was great for me.
Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.--Heraclitus, 5 B.C.

Comments

• Options
    >>Finding it gave me some faith in my machine and myself. <<

That Sir, Is most important! ! ! I bought a used machine. I still find myself in doubt at times. You know...is this thing working. LOL

Have Fun and Good Luck

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Awesome Sarge! I still have my first coin! (I only got it 4 months ago) Hopefully the start of something great!
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you found the coin at four inches, you will certainly be able to find older stuff. Most of the older coins I find are between four and six inches deep.

Obviously, you'll want to find some older sites to hunt.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    where are you in the ozarks? I'm up in Springfield.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS