Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

They didn't have the 8 pocket pages for 52-56 Topps, so . . .

. . . what the heck, I'll pick up some 9-pocket pages and make my cards fit.

I'll bet knuckles could put some edges on this baby for the winner.

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Hmm. I wonder if the current card companies have ever considered the evil idea of buying back cards, chopping them up into little squares, and making special "Legends of the Hobby" memorabilia cards with them. They could be numbered to 12, so you could try to collect all the pieces.

"Now everyone can own a piece of the legendary cards that are so revered by collectors everywhere." image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $900 - LOL. Perhaps a t206 Wagner without borders would be worth $900 and probably more, but for a 52 Mantle? - not a chance of getting $900 unless it's some naive wife looking for a holiday present for her baseball card collecting husband...and that's probably exactly what the seller is hoping for.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭
    digicat - I think you might be on to something!

stevek - $900 might be a lot, but you have to admit, it's extremely well-centered. Isn't it?

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since it's already trimmed, I think I would have to trim it somemore to straighten up the edges. Boy, that would be real weird - trimming a 52 mantle.

Shane

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    FWIW I have never seen a card get a no holder and a cert number.
    Can anyone shed some light on this? Also I also was under the impression that this card would get holdered as authentic if it indeed was.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    What's the cert number come back to?

That label looks just as doctored as the card is.
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

According to the PSA Certification Database, certification number 31343543 is defined as the following:

CARD INFORMATION
    Year: 1952
    Brand: TOPPS
    Player: MICKEY MANTLE
    Variety: N/A
    Grade: Not Holdered, No Holder Available

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FWIW I have never seen a card get a no holder and a cert number.
    Can anyone shed some light on this? Also I also was under the impression that this card would get holdered as authentic if it indeed was.

SD >>

All cards in a submission get a "cert number" even if they are trimmed, altered, not holder, min size, etc. Check other submissions and you will see that all cards in the order are given a cert, if if they're not graded or encapsulated.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Clean up those edges and you have a PRO 10 for sure!!

I wonder if a restoration expert could replace the borders? Not to grade it or anything, but it would make a nice filler.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I guess you could "Matte" it like a picture in a frame???
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    All cards in a submission get a "cert number" even if they are trimmed, altered, not holder, min size, etc. Check other submissions and you will see that all cards in the order are given a cert, if if they're not graded or encapsulated.

Thanks Southsider

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That reminds me of a story told to me by a dealer I know. Seems a couple came to his table at a card show and asked him if he was buying cards. When he said yes, they pulled out a 3-ring binder and opened it. There in front of the dealer was a complete 1952 Topps baseball set, all in 9-pocket pages!

Seems the couple had come across the cards from a deceased relative, and since they didn't know anything about cards, and only knew about 9-pocket sheets, had, just before going to the card show, cut every one of the 407 cards down to fit in the pages, just to make them more presentableimageimage

Steve
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Unreal! I remember seeing that happen to a '61 Drysdale - but never the likes of a Mantle. And a whole '52 Topps set? It sounds so unreal as to almost be an urban legend.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    If it is truly authentic, I'd pay $100 for it.

What the heck, it's a real '52 Topps Mantle. How many of us can say we have one? Plus, this particular card obviously has one hell of a history behind it!
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't 707 sportscards have one in that condition for more money??
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Every '52 Mantle 707 has is for sale for $$$$$$$, even I suppose, one that looked as thought it was in a rock tumbler.