Home Metal Detecting
Options

Zot 1 - Frozen ground 0

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
Hello,

For your amusement, here's an account of Zot's recent battle against the elements... image

I got into my stubborn head that the ground could still be dug, so I packed my stuff and headed off (near midnight..) to a nearby school.
I set an ambitious target: 1 coin. And setting that target meant that I wouldn't come home without one (Zots are known for a certain degree of stubborness in that department)

Hunting ground in sight! (Well, kind of, for the split second the flash was on..)

It really gets pitch black here this time of year. You can see that there's no snow, but it's certainly cold enough, we just haven't happened to get any more snow since the first snow melted away.
It was like water detecting, I couldn't see anything - not the detector display, hardly even the coil, and definitely not the targets - so it had to be done purely by ear and touch.. As I also knew this place was not particularly coin-rich, I was starting to curse myself for having set a 1-coin target..

Soon I got a solid hit. Target was very shallow, excellent! I thrust my digging tool into the ground --> resulting depth of dent in the ground: 1/8 inch. Ugghhh...
After a couple of minutes the target was out of the "hole". I fumbled around with my fingers until I felt a round outline. Alright, target achieved! No, wait...

The next couple of hits sounded good, but also sounded like they were some 4+ inches down. Right... they might as well have been in China.. I was looking for something that was 1-inch maximum.

I was running very high discrimination to avoid digging non-coin holes. Next excellent signal: Same prodecure as before, and again I felt a round outline...

(this is actually a quite nice looking button, but it certainly didn't make me too happy at the time)

The next target, which I heroically recovered from over 2 inches deep.
I think it's a kid's ring, but when I found I wasn't sure if it was a ring or some pipe fitting etc.. Still am not sure. image
A most curious object indeed.

The next two targets were parts of zippers image. By now I had been out almost 1.5 hours. Then a good signal:

END OF PAIN!

And here it is in all its glory! A 10 penniä 1963. One of the coins I've been most happy to find this year! image
It's graded PITA 70 by ZotCGS. An unusually shiny example.

Happy hunting! image

-Z , down - but not out.. (but for next hunt I will head further south, this place is now officially done for the year..)
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    Nice post Zot! Personally I would have been more excited to find the buttons instead of the 10 penniä, but thats just me. image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice post Zot! Personally I would have been more excited to find the buttons instead of the 10 penniä, but thats just me. image >>

In hindsight, yes. But the coin was my passport to get out of the cold and wind near 2 AM in the morning image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Zot nice going on the find's and you are know officially addicted to this crazy hobbie of detectingimageHH,Tom
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it's a kid's ring, but when I found I wasn't sure if it was a ring or some pipe fitting etc.. Still am not sure. >>

Washer of some sort. Not exactly sure what kind, but I've seen (and found) my share.

I like that one old button.

Wait- I think I know where I've seen those funny washer doodads- on electrical conduits.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think it's a kid's ring, but when I found I wasn't sure if it was a ring or some pipe fitting etc.. Still am not sure. >>

Washer of some sort. Not exactly sure what kind, but I've seen (and found) my share. I like that one old button. Wait- I think I know where I've seen those funny washer doodads- on electrical conduits. >>

Right on!!!! It is a lock nut for electric box adapter. They do sound good on my rig also :-(

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I like the new "Spooky Squirrel" icon! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I've done plenty of night detecting - Though I'm not about to even think about it with zub zero wind chills and a blanket of snow.
    My advice would be to get one of those LED flashlight headstraps.
    Point it at the right angle, and where ever you look there will be a nice, focused flood of light.
    Another peice of advice - Watch out for those monkey bars. They will sneek up on you and clobber you good if you don't watch out.
    JJ
  • Options
    I use a headlamp. It is indispensable for night hunting, which is what more than half of my detecting outings are: night hunts.