Home Metal Detecting
Options

Any of you guys ever been able to return lost property to the owner??

I am sure that this has happened numerous times, but since I am an ultra newb to this I haven't heard any stories. Have any of you guys ever found a lost item and been able to return it to the owner?? I think it would be cool to find someone's class ring, (or whatever) that they lost 30 years ago and be able to give it back to them.
Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.--Heraclitus, 5 B.C.

Comments

• Options
    I was asked to a sheep farm once to look for a gold ring but could not find the ring although I was shown the exact location where the ring was lost. I would have been nice if I could find it for him. Craps and electric fences weren't really metal-detector-friendly!
  • Options
    Why did the guy take his ring off?? Sheep can't tell if you are married or not.
    Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.--Heraclitus, 5 B.C.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was shown the exact location where the ring was lost >>

An interesting statement! image

-Z, aspiring smartass image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Sarge I haven't yet,most jewelry is hard to return unless somebody ask if you could help them find it.
    For class ring's I have seen alot of those returned as long as a name or initial's were in on it.
    As for me I have never found a class ring,but I mainly hunt for relic's and older coin's.

I almost forgot there was one ring I was there when my buddy found it and when he returned it to the gentelman that it belong to.

It was a 14k U.S. Army ring it had the date of 1918 and the guy's name in there.It took my buddy a few month's of some serious research but he found the son as the dad had died in the 60's and the ring know belonged to the son.Who lost it while washing his car in the 70's and my buddy returned it to him last year.I will have to get some more info on it as it actually was really interesting history as his grandmother had a big part in California history.
    He showed us a photo of her with all her children and I have seen the book,I believe it is Women of California or something like that.Will have to check.HH,Tom
  • Options
    CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    LOL on the sheep joke.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I was shown the exact location where the ring was lost >>

An interesting statement! image

-Z, aspiring smartass image >>

We cant seem to have enough.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Funny that you should ask...I had an experience with it this fall.

My mother-in-law asked me if I thought that I could find the owner of a class ring that my father-in-law found while sweeping the floor while in the army at fort knox in 1957.

The ring was marked inside with initials and was from a "Langley High School", class of 1956. I started with an internet search and came up with a Langley High School in Virginia. With the help of what I believe was called Virginia Online Magazine, I posted a search for information and was told by someone who responded that the Langley high in VA was not opened until 1966, but I was also given another lead...that there was a Langley High in Pittsburg. I found the Pittsburg school system website and sure enough, there was a Langley high School there.

I ccontacted the pricipal of the school through E-mail and was told by her that the school had an active alumni association and that she would forward my request and the information from the ring to them. I was soon contacted with the results-there was someone with those initials at the school in the 1956 graduation class and they put me in touch with her.

When the contact came, she identified the ring specifics and told me that her ring was lost when her brother's car was stolen. I sent the ring back to her...she was very happy and suprised to see it again after not having it for close to 50 years. The alumni association included the story in their newsletter and she sent me a copy. She's a very neat lady, even sent me a getwell card after my recent knee replacement surgery. My mother-in-law called her and they talked on the phone. I'm glad that I had a part in the return of the class ring.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have returned several class rings because they had their names on them. Some were grateful and some were not. The grateful ones have taken my wife and I out to dinner or given us gift certificates or cash and the ungrateful almost act as if they have done you a favor by losing their ring so that you could find it.
  • Options
    >>Some were grateful and some were not.<<

One "grateful" makes it worth it. :-)

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once I found a guy's car keys for him- his two-year-old kid had thrown them into a brush pile in the back yard, which he happened to be burning at the time.

After the ashes cooled, I found his keys. They were a bit blackened but still usable.

I've looked for lost rings for people a few times but haven't had any luck- usually they were too vague about the specific area they'd lost the ring in, unlike the car key guy, who knew where the toddler had thrown them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    i found a superbowl ring in the bathroom at the airport on the sink...i knew exactly who it belonged to ( his name was on it ..and the team.... duh )...i sent it to him

next time we played them ( small world ..i played 13 years in the NFL ) ....i had a steak dinner delivered to my room from ruth`s chris
    and an offer to come play for him....( it was the general managers and it wasnt tampering back then )

gregg
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language