Home Metal Detecting

Pinpointing

Hello everyone. Now that school is over I have a lot more time to pull out the Prism III that I bought at the end of last summer. I have been having a lot of fun with it the last couple of days and have found a few dollars in change and bullet. I had a question about my particular detector that I couldn't seem to find an answer to in the instruction manual. I remember reading in a book that some types of detectors pinpoint an object right in the center of the loop while others pinpoint towards the side closest to the operator. Im not sure which mine is because I always seem to have to dig enormous holes right now to find what is giving a signal. It's okay for now because I am digging in the river in a popular swimming spot with picnic tables and walking trails. Since Im digging the riverbottom and filling in my gigantic holes and no damage is done. I would reallly like to learn to pinpoint better to reduce the size of my hole and also to save time and effort. If I tried to detect anywhere with grass right now there wouldn't be any left by the time I was done ! image So for now I'm sticking to the river. Can anyone give me some tips? Anything specific to the White's Prism III would be great too. Overall the detector is great, I'm just still learning how to use it properly.

Joe
Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector

Comments

• Coin Retrieval Techniques In Grass
    There are different tools for different jobs. These tools are for grass retrieval . It may not be a complete list of tools, but they are the tools that I have found that work.

Probe, screw driver, ground shark, gator trowel, sun glasses, electronic probe, and handkerchief.
    Most coin’s can be removed from the grass areas in a lawn area or a athletic field by simply using a screw driver as a probe and once the coin is located with the probe, working it out of the grown with a screw driver. The screw driver doubling as a probe and the screw drive/ removal instrument. One instrument serves two different uses.

Removal for this first technique goes like this: The coin is located using the detector. The pin pointing is done with that detector as per manufactures recommendations. Once the coins approximate location is located, the screw driver is pushed slowly and deliberately into the ground in an effort to find the coin.

You will get better at determining if it is a rock or a coin once you have been at it for a while. Note: notice I said you push the screw driver into the ground slowly . You don’t need to be stabbing the ground. You are searching, take it easy. If you don’t you will scratch your coin. It could mean the difference in several hundred dollars if you have a rare coin under your coil. Trouble is you never know when this is going to happen.

Once you locate the coin, gently enlarge the hole around the coin so as to work it out of the ground.

How to enlarge hole: Withdraw your probe/screw drive, and gently insert it into the ground about a half inch away from the coins location and make a circular motion with your screw driver, after you have it berried to the handle. If this is done several times around the coin it will provide you with enough room to work the coin to the surface without damaging it.

After the coin is removed, another nice trick is to re-insert the screw drive into the ground and push the hole openings closed from the outside, this can be done to some extent to give the lawn back it’s original appearance. You always want to close any holes that you make.

I mentioned sun glasses, I like to wear a pair when I’m using a screw driver to retrieve coins. It seems, it’s always my luck to be prying up on a coin that gives way and I accidentally throws dirt in my eyes. That can ruin your day.

One other item that I think every single coin shooter ought to have is a lock jaw shot from the doctor of your choice. I didn’t mention that you will run up in broken glass, rusty metals of all type’s and have the opprotunity to cut your self to hell and back, so wear gloves when you play in the dirt. I keep a pair handy but I don’t like to wear them a bunch because they get in the way, but if I’m working in the area the there is a lot of broken glass, and rusty metal, I don’t mind putting up with the minor inconvenience.

The only other item I have yet to mention is knee pads. They are a must. Please pick yourself up a pair. They are to cheap not to have them and use them. I use mine in the parks as well as any where else. If you have ever had a hurt knee, you won't even question this logic. A hurt knee will put you on the bench for a whole summer or longer.

Now, let’s cover the Plug Method. I like to use several instruments for plugging, it all depends where I am at, and how careful I must be.

I use the Bowie Knife, it’s a good take off of the bowie knife, it has hack saw like teeth up close to the handle and the knife part looks life a knife , but with closer inspection you can see it is a spade shaped like a knife.

I also like to use a Ground Shark. It’s a cup shovel that has a handle that is about 18 inches long . It also has the saw tooth construction on one side if the shovel blade. It is made out of steel, and has a life time warranty .

There are also times when I just use a gator trowel . Most folks just use the gator trowel when they are working grass areas. This looks a lot like a regular garden trowel but is quite a bit beefier that the common garden trowel and once again this trowel has the saw tooth construction on the side if the trowel for cutting tree roots, if needed.

It depends a lot on the ground condition for me as to which one of these tools I will use. The plug method is used on coins that are deep. What is deep? I would say anything over 7 inches.

A lot depends on your skill at using your screw driver. Some wouldn’t use a plug in the grass for any coin unless that coin was over 10 and deeper.

Anyway, having said that, here is how this method is done. Locate the coin with the detector as per manufactures recommendations. Once you have the coin pin pointed using the detector, set your screw driver at that point by gently inserting it into the ground. Then you can use the bowie knife, ground shark, gator trowel, or what ever your tool of choice may be. Just simply make a plug keeping your screw driver in the center of the plug.

I like to use a drop cloth or a handkerchief to put the plug on. I lay the drop out next to the pug and simply left the plug from the hole and lay it on the drop.

I like to use my bowie knife to cut open the bottom of the plug to find my coin. If I can’t find the coin I use my electronic probe to locate the coin. There are times when you will find that the coin had turned the same color as the soil, and it’s hard to see. You may even need to search the hole to find the coin, it may not be in the plug.

Once you locate your coin, left the plug from the drop and place the dirt from the drop in the hole and place the plug back in the hole. Making sure that you match the plug to the exact way it came out . Always recheck your hole with your detector after retrieval . There may be more than one coin.

There are two things that you can do to insure the next guy will not get ran off for your behavior . Please take all the trash you dig with you, and cover your holes.
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice BoxTopp! Luckily I live in New Mexico so it is still plenty warm enough to be out detecting. Can you give a little bit more info about the electronic probe? This is the first I have heard about this. Does it just signal when touching something metallic? It will still take a lot of practice for me to be able to find a coin with the screwdriver. My pinpointing is still really poor. Sometimes the object is 6 inches from where I thought it was. That would take a lot of poking right now, but I just need more practice with the detector I think. This is all brand new to me and don't have anyone around to show my the ropes. Thank god for the forums! Thanks again

Joe
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Hi!

I remember having seen a pinpointing practicing tip of having someone place some coins on the ground and cover them with paper/cardboard.. Then you can try pinpointing them, marking the locations where you think they are - then looking where they actually are.. Repeating as necessary until you start pinpointing them accurately..
    You can also try pinpointing directly over a coin on the ground (eyes open first and then eyes closed..) and listening carefully to the sound.. In this way you should at least quickly find out where the center on pinpoint is (center or edge of coil)

I'm not familiar with the Prism III, but it should definitely be possible to get much closer than 6 inches..
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro