Home Metal Detecting

Another Celtic gold today...

...only nipped out for two hours this afternoon and managed to rescue this little Celtic gold quarter stater.
I think it is a very early imported one that I haven't ID'd as yet.
It is 10mm across and weighs 1.6 grams which is quite heavy for an almost smooth quarter.
I'll let you know more about it when I have it.
I must remember to put this one in for December image

Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!
imageimageimage

Comments

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

... recovering...

Another awesome find! Please tell me that you've been on a roll recently and typically don't find gold coins every month!? image
    Knowing nothing about these coins- how closely is the weight linked to the face value of the coin? Your full stater was 5.7 grams if memory serves, and this quarter at 1.6 is quite close to a quarter of that..

Are these pure (24k) gold?
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Hi Zot, I'm not particularly on a roll, it's just that the Celtic land I get on is free of crop for the most part.
    A full stater is as a rule of thumb about 6 grams, and a quarter is typically about 1.5 grams and I should imagine that 200 years ago the worth was reflected by the size.
    They are all about 99% pure gold or 24 carat.
    Thanks again for the entry suggestion for last month.
    Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!
    imageimageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Wow...you really suck! Excellent find!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Excellent find once again!! I see I will be making up another special gold coin award this month!

Please be sure to post it in the December "Quality" find nomination thread.

John
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Well, ok, that’s pretty good, but I went out today and found a house key and a 1957-D wheat penny.
    imageimage

That's better than I did, COTC. I haven't been out since August.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't been out since August. >>

Hrmph!!! We poor souls stuck in snow and ice need to be entertained!! image
    imageimage
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
    Hint duly taken. image

My next three days off will be spent restocking my coin booth, but I intend to get out and dig in the dirt a little bit before the end of the year.

Perhaps on my birthday- we will be going down to Florida on the 26th through the 28th, so I might poke around my mother's neighborhood a little. It's old enough for some silver but I have never found any old coins there. I did get this little silver doggie pin there on the last visit.

• phutphut Posts: 1,087
    That's it.... I'm crossin the pond.image
    Nice find DinoUKimageimage