Home Metal Detecting
Options

NOVEMBER SPECIAL GOLD COIN AWARD GOES TO DinoUK!!!!!

Since the November polls have run their course it was brought to my attention (thanks Zot) that we had a gold coin found in November! I have been absent from the boards lately and didn't see the original post made by Dino.
Link to DinoUK's gold stater!

Dino failed to post this incredible find in the November nomination thread so I failed to enter it in the polls.
So I would like to award Dino the Special Gold Coin Award for his prodigious find. This is only the second gold coin award presented since the MD Forum awards were started.

Congrats DinoUK!!!!!image

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Congrat's Dino,that was an awesome find!!HH,Tom
  • Options
    Wow, thanks guys, I never thought to enter the Stater into the polls. Just goes to show how modest I am. image
    All I need to do now is find out how to add the award to my signature...perhaps some kind soul will let me know how to.
    And a special thankyou to Zot.

An update on the stater from Dr Phillip de Jersey, keeper of the Celtic coin index at Oxford University....

"Hello Gerry,
    good to hear from you again, and with a nice coin too. I'll record it in the CCI as 05.0758.
    This is a Gallo-Belgic class C stater, struck probably by the Ambiani in Belgic Gaul in the early first century BC (perhaps 80 - 70 BC, but could be a few years either side).
    These were imported in reasonable numbers into Britain - I'm not in Oxford at the moment so I can't check exactly how many there are from this country, but from memory at least 60 or 70. The type is listed in Spink's Coins of England as no. 5, and in Van Arsdell's Celtic Coinage of Britain as VA 42 - 48.
    The obverse has the very last vestiges of the head in profile, facing right - the cheek is visible on this coin, below the two crescents on the image you sent.
    This disappears fairly rapidly after these were produced and the type turns into the better-known Gallic War stater, with the blank obverse.
    They do sometimes turn up in hoards, so I hope you manage to keep looking in this field!

All the best
    Philip."
    Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>All I need to do now is find out how to add the award to my signature...perhaps some kind soul will let me know how to. >>

From a post by Lordmarcovan.

In case anybody else needs image-posting help for these sig line trophies in the future, I'll repost the pertinent info from that other thread.

If you have won an award and wish to wear your little "trophy plaque" in your signature line, but are not sure how to do this, here's how.

1. ( Ignore this step.)

2. Move the cursor of your mouse over the picture of your award.

3. click the RIGHT hand mouse button and select "Properties".

4. You'll see the web address (URL) of your image. It will start with "http" and have a bunch of other junk behind it. Move your mouse cursor over the web address, RIGHT click, scroll down to "Select All", click that, and you should see the web address highlighted in blue.

5. When the web address is highlighted in blue, move your cursor over the highlighted area, RIGHT click, and select "Copy". Close the "Properties" box you just copied from.

6. Go to the toolbar at the top of the page and click on "profile" to access your profile.

7. You'll see a white box down near the bottom, beside some text that says "Signature: (max 255 characters)". Holding your cursor over this white box, RIGHT click and select "Paste". This will paste the URL (web address) of your image into your signature line, but you're still not ready for it to display as an image.

8. You'll need to put opening and closing image tags around your URL for it to work as an image. Type these "IMG" tags before and after the URL, as I'll show you in the example below. (The BLACK part is the image tags you need to type, the RED part is the URL you should have already pasted in-of course, it'll all be black when you type it). Make sure there are no blank spaces in there anywhere.

9. When you're done pasting in your URL (step 7) and putting the opening and closing image tags in front of and behind it (step 8), you should be good to go. Just click the button that says "Update Profile" at the bottom of your profile page, and your image should show up in your signature line.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Goldrush, the jobs done...thanks.
    Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!
    imageimageimage