Home Sports Talk
Options

Breathe if you hate Duke

Nothing like home cooking to put another 0.6 seconds onto the clock at the end of the game. It would have been one of the biggest upsets in over a few decades...

Comments

• Options
    That was BS. VA Tech probably feels like the 1972 US Olympic Basketball Team!! image

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Well 1.0 or 1.6, it still took a miracle shot to win it.

Duke gets it done...and has one of the classiest organizations and coaches in all of basketball. Hard not to admire that.
  • Options

<< <i>Well 1.0 or 1.6, it still took a miracle shot to win it.

Duke gets it done...and has one of the classiest organizations and coaches in all of basketball. Hard not to admire that. >>

Do you watch much of them? I've seen so many calls go their way it's disgusting. Coach K is always screaming profanity at his players and the refs, and Redick gets away with murder on the court.

BTW, here is the shot for those who missed it got ref$?

Also here is a classic "Duke call" see if you can find who the foul was called on in this vid ACC Champ game Duke GT

Redick (#4) is pulling Bynum's (#11) jersey, but the foul is called on Jack (#3). It later turns out the ref that made this potential game-clinching call for Duke, works at the high school Redick went to, and is friends with him...
  • Options
    well we're probably going to get our asses kicked tonight, but I'll be there - duck fuke!
  • Options
    Duke sucks!! Only school that gets more cheets is Kentucky!! image
  • Options
    K is the biggest weasel in sports...

GO HEELS!!
  • Options

<< <i>K is the biggest weasel in sports...

GO HEELS!! >>

Jealousy.

What coach isn't yelling at the officials, especially in basketball?

Come on...quit whining.
  • Options

<< <i> Jealousy. >>

Duke is analogous to the Yankees. How can you admire one and despise the other?

---

If the game was 30 minutes my team would be a final four team image We'll get 'em next year!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> Jealousy. >>

you got that right
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Im smelling a 20 win season and a Tourny bid in Tallahassee..all that with no players, no drugs and no cheats!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Im smelling a 20 win season and a Tourny bid in Tallahassee..all that with no players, no drugs and no cheats!

JS >>

You guys came sooooo close to beating them in Cameron Indoor and snapping their winning streak!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Jealousy. >>

>>

How do you figure? They have been successful for a long time, playing under the same scholarship rules as everyone else. The yankees outspend everyone by enormous proportions. There's a vast difference between the yankees buying the best players in an unfair economic landscape and Duke having no more to 'spend' on players than any other Div 1-A team in the country.

You guys get on K for yelling at the refs...you'd prefer a passive coach? one who shows no emotion? I want my coach fiery.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> Jealousy. >>

>>

How do you figure? They have been successful for a long time, playing under the same scholarship rules as everyone else. The yankees outspend everyone by enormous proportions. There's a vast difference between the yankees buying the best players in an unfair economic landscape and Duke having no more to 'spend' on players than any other Div 1-A team in the country.

You guys get on K for yelling at the refs...you'd prefer a passive coach? one who shows no emotion? I want my coach fiery. >>

How many Duke games have you watched? They have their own "neutral" ESPN announcer - Duke Vitale for crying out loud!

They are a very "public" team much like the Yankees. Duke draws a lot of money so Duke winning is good for the ACC and the NCAA. Take a look at box scores for Duke games, in particular, the free throws column. You'll see that Duke usually gets to the charity stripe between 50% to 400% more than the opposing team.

As I said a few posts ago in this thread, during the ACC championship game, one of the refs working the game is friends with the star player on Duke (he worked at Redick's high school). Can you say conflict of interest? If you cannot, I suggest watching that replay again.

Sheldon Williams alledgely raped a girl in high school. He announced he going to Duke, and all his problems went away image

I don't see many coaches getting on national TV every few minutes during tournament games to recruit for their schools in the form of American Express commericals.
  • Options
    at least JJ will have a job in 2 years once he bombs in the pros (like almost all Coach K prodigies)...just look at all of his ASSistants....L O S E R S.....or maybe Coach K will groom him like Quin Snyder (heard he was searching for HS coaching jobs around Missouri)
  • Options
    I find it impossible to believe that Duke would have this long a tradition of winning if it was simply because of the refs. You blaming the refs make you sound like a sore loser AKA joe stalin.

Coach K is an icon, and AMEX tapped into that...the other team's coaches are free to do the same commericals, there's no special treatment going on, there's no conspiracy to prop Duke up. It's simple, the players make the shots, they play defense, they win the games.

Blame the refs for Duke's success is plan and simple jealousy...sorry.

• Options
    Again I ask,

How many Duke games have you watched? Most of their games are coming on mid-late afternoon where you are so I'm guessing the answer is not many.

Is it not a conflict of interest if a referee in a conference championship game is friends with Redick?

The refs are not giving Duke games, but they are most certainly helping them. Duke has attempted 651 free throws while their opponents have attempted only 425. After losing to Georgetown, Duke has only come close to losing twice. At Boston College, Duke attempted 37 free throws to BC's 13. At home, heavily favored Duke was losing to FSU most of the game, the only thing that kept them in was Duke's 43 free throw attempts to FSU's 11. If those numbers aren't one-way officiating, I don't know what is.

• Options

<< <i>Again I ask,

How many Duke games have you watched? Most of their games are coming on mid-late afternoon where you are so I'm guessing the answer is not many.
    >>

And I ask, what difference does it make if I've seen 1 or 100? You mention them having their own announcer...Notre Dame football has (had?) it's own network for years (NBC), but I don't hear you complaining about it being an unfair advantage...I mean hey, all that free recruiting!

<< <i>Is it not a conflict of interest if a referee in a conference championship game is friends with Redick? >>

Sure, but it's one game, and he still has to make all those shots...you're certainly not saying they are making those shots for him, too, are you?

<< <i>
    The refs are not giving Duke games, but they are most certainly helping them. Duke has attempted 651 free throws while their opponents have attempted only 425. After losing to Georgetown, Duke has only come close to losing twice. At Boston College, Duke attempted 37 free throws to BC's 13. At home, heavily favored Duke was losing to FSU most of the game, the only thing that kept them in was Duke's 43 free throw attempts to FSU's 11. If those numbers aren't one-way officiating, I don't know what is. >>

Wouldn't a team that is CONSISTENTLY winning certainly shooting more free throws, as teams force fouls? Just like a football team who gives up lots of yards in 'garbage time', great teams that win a lot are going to put up more foul shots.

I can appreciate your hatred of the program (as I hate the yankees), but blaming it on the officials being in their pockets is just poor form in my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>And I ask, what difference does it make if I've seen 1 or 100? >>

A big difference. If all you do is check the sports ticker to see they won, you wouldn't know the manner in which they won.

<< <i>You mention them having their own announcer...Notre Dame football has (had?) it's own network for years (NBC), but I don't hear you complaining about it being an unfair advantage...I mean hey, all that free recruiting! >>

I didn't say this was unfair... more along the lines of annoying as hell. If you're watching a Yankees game on YES or the Braves on TBS, at least you know what you're getting in to, but ESPN is "supposed" to be neutral.

<< <i>Is it not a conflict of interest if a referee in a conference championship game is friends with Redick?

<< <i>Sure, but it's one game, and he still has to make all those shots...you're certainly not saying they are making those shots for him, too, are you? >>

>>

The conference championship is one game so is the superbowl, but aren't those games a little more important that an average game? The ref wasn't making shots for Redick, but everytime he put him unjustly at the line, the ref should have gotten an assist image

<< <i>Wouldn't a team that is CONSISTENTLY winning certainly shooting more free throws, as teams force fouls? Just like a football team who gives up lots of yards in 'garbage time', great teams that win a lot are going to put up more foul shots. >>

I agree, a team losing by single digits may foul several times in the past minute. But c'mon, 37 to 13 and 43 to 11 are no where close even after accounting for this.

<< <i>I can appreciate your hatred of the program (as I hate the yankees), but blaming it on the officials being in their pockets is just poor form in my opinion. >>

I'd be nice to know what a former Duke player thinks about the officials. Former Duke player Andre Sweet said this about Coach K and the refs:
    'So, is it true? Does Duke really get all the calls?' " Sweet mimics. "I'm like, 'Of course, it's true. It's Duke.' It's Mike Krzyzewski. The refs were afraid of him. He could get you calls that no one else could get. That's part of playing for Duke.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    iamthegreatcornholio - I have often felt that Duke gets their fair share of the calls. The Boston College game was particularly embarrasing for the refs.
    However, every time I bet on Duke to win the tournament they do not seem to get the same calls image

Duke had the dark years in the mid-90's when a couple of players were suspended for cheating on tests and their were some other alleged violations.

They do seem to get unbelievable talent come their way, but I suspect their lack of depth particularly among their big men will be their undoing at tournament time again.
  • Options
    So was the braves' pitching staff getting questionable strikes called an outrage too?

You give 2 examples of a big tilt in foul shots called...are you saying every close game is determined by the refs? That's quite a charge.

As far as the allegations by the former player, of course he's going to say that.
  • Options
    Look, I never said you have to agree with me. However, I have listed EVIDENCE that supports Duke getting calls in certain games. What have you done for your cause?

I just watched the last few minutes of Duke at Temple on ESPN (thankfully Vitale wasn't doing this game), and when Temple brought it within 5 on a 3 point shot, Redick SHOVED a Temple defender on the in-bounds play, pushing off and got away with it. The ESPN announcers called him out, and rightfully stated when Duke gets away with that, it will add more fuel to the fire.
  • Options

<< <i> They do seem to get unbelievable talent come their way, but I suspect their lack of depth particularly among their big men will be their undoing at tournament time again. >>

I agree, if Williams gets in foul trouble, they could go down. I think Nova or UConn would be a worthy adversary.

• Options
    Don't hate tha playa'...hate tha game!!!

Coach K rules!!!

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Was it not the Florida State-Duke game where a ref was suspended by the ACC because he incorrectly tossed Florida State's best player out of the game for committing a foul he did not commit?
  • Options
    You're right - I forgot about that.

link for axtell
  • Options
    losing to a bunch of freshman on senior night - priceless image

hopefully bye, bye #1 seed if they don't win the ACC tourney
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Duke is not deep enough this year. I think Nova would spank them, and UConn (much as I hate to say it) would probably run them dry as well. Can't wait for the tourny to start!
  • Options
    They beat Memphis by 3 on a neutral court - that might be a good rematch.

Duke is a two man band. Although it's been a while since I've seen Chewy get in foul trouble this early in a game, and Redick throw nothing but bricks image

I can't stand UNC either, but they may end up going farther in the tourney than Duke.
  • Options
    Redick's last NCAA game is the worst game of his career image

• Options
    S UUUUU WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT
  • Options
    And the haters come out in force.

Let's not forget Duke has been to 9 straight sweet 16's, second longest streak of all time.

Don't hate them because they're successful...they have great recruitment, and Coach K is a class act.
  • Options

<< <i>9 straight sweet 16's >>

When they play an decent team with UNBIASED refs, they go bye bye image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the door just opened a little wider for Villanova!!!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See ya Duke!!! Ha! Ha!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>9 straight sweet 16's >>

When they play an decent team with UNBIASED refs, they go bye bye image >>

Please.

Who's your team? Have they gone to 9 straight sweet 16s?

Didn't think so....

• Options
  • Options
    Gonzaga blows a 17 point lead - it's a great night to be a hater image
  • Options

<< <i>Gonzaga blows a 17 point lead - it's a great night to be a hater image >>

So do you have a school, or just hate kids and programs that work hard and blame shady refereeing?

• Options
    Better go finish dusting off your Yankees pennants - you just have a hardon for winning programs.

BTW, I've made my college team apparent.

Who's yours? It seems you have one for every sport - USC for football, Duke for basketball
  • Options
    Duke's game consists of 3-pointers and free throws. Their inside game is just average.

If they don't shoot 2 or 3 times more free throws than their opponent, they lose.
  • Options
    New players and a new season, but the same old Duke. 6 of their last 8 points were made from the free throw line, and the refs put too much time on the clock to allow Duke to hit a layup at the buzzer.
  • Options

<< <i>Well 1.0 or 1.6, it still took a miracle shot to win it.

Duke gets it done...and has one of the classiest organizations and coaches in all of basketball. Hard not to admire that. >>

Coach K does not care about anything but winning. The following is all you need to know.

First to reinforce the point let me point out the following similar incident from this past season. George Mason's best guy hits an opponent below the belt in a conference tournament game which they lose. The NCAA and CAA do not punish him. Jim Larranaga suspends him for the first game of the NCAA Tournament anyway so his players know it is wrong. This despite knowing there is a good chance they will not get in the tournament because of the suspension, much less win a game. Now let me set the stage for the Duke incident. Flash back to the 1991 regional final between Duke and Connecticut. You must forgive me because the UConn players name escapes me. In any event Laettner and a UConn player dive out of bounds for a ball. There were no fouls on the play, only the officials decision as to who gets the ball. Flash back to the beginning of the 1992 tournament. The NCAA decides to suspend the aforementioned UConn player because he elbowed Laettner while both were laid out diving for the ball. He was called for no fould of any kind, and was obviously not under anymore control on the play than Laettner. At the time it was thought to be a terrible decision. Flash forward to the 1992 East Regional Final between Duke and Kentucky. Christian Laettner gets a rebound and comes down on the ground. He then lifts his foot and stomps a fallen Wildcat in the chest. He got teed up and everything. The NCAA decides not to punish Laettner despite many people calling for it in the wake of the UConn player's suspension. Coach K realizing he needs to send the right message to his players did the right thing and ... oh wait a minute, no he didn't. Nevermind. That's right classy coach K did not punish Laettner either and they went on to win their second straight national title. Considering they had to rally to beat Indiana in the semifinal it is not to out there to say they would have lost without Coach K. By the way if you need any other proof that Coach K will take a win over his principles you just needed to read his response to Larranaga's decision. He essentially said it was gutsy and he does not know what he would do in that situation. I personally wanted to tell him I know what you would do in that situation because you already did it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hating Duke and Coach K for winning?

Pure comedic gold. Keep it comin' guys!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    In all 3 brackets, I had them losing in the first round.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I always smile when I hear about Puke losing. Makes me warm inside.

GO BUCKEYES!!