Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Should I sell as singles or partial set?

Just finished updating my 76 Topps FB set. Purged all the cards I have updated and ended up with about 220 cards (170 PSA 8/ 50 PSA 9). Thats about 44% of the set. My question is, should I try selling this as apartial set or break it up into singles. My inclination is towards a partial set, just because the listing fees alone would be almost $80 listing as singles, plus you never sell more than 25-33% the first go around. I guess as I am writing this, I have answered my own question.

My other question would be, should I take the time to list this as a set in the registry? I am thinking it would jump in at # 3 or #4 all-time. Then use the registry as a selling tool. What do you think?

Anyone want to make an offer?

RobBob
Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

Comments

• SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    With a true no minimum bid, you will sell 100% the first time around.
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Just a thought - since I know nothing about '70s graded: I would think your market for high graded singles will be limited to the registry whereas a partial set would have a much broader appeal. You could probably get away with an opening bid of close to the minimum of what you would hope to net in a singles offering.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • RobBob,

I have had good success with listing partial sets and large lots using the fixed price with the "Best Offer" option. Personally, I would list the partial set with a fixed price of about SMR and allow "Best Offers". Possibly wait until the next fixed price listing day if you are in no hurry to sell.

If it didn't sell that way, I would list it as a regular auction with an opening bid around the minimum you are willing to accept for the partial set and a higher BIN less than SMR (maybe 80% SMR). I don't like listing partial sets with a real low opening bid (e.g., $9.99) because, if the right buyers don't come along, you might be forced to sell it for less than you wanted.

My two cents worth,
    Mike
  • RobBob,

I recently did a similiar thing with my 1970 FB set and I listed them first on the trading board as individual cards each at ~75% SMR. I ended up selling all as a single lot. You might give this a try before putting them on Ebay.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭✭
    List it on the registry with scans of each card. Then sell it as a partial set with a price you'd be very happy with. If it doesn't sell then you can either lower the price or break it up, at least all the scanning will be done. Going the partial route is far less work when shipping time comes. Nothing like have 100 different people buying 2 cards each to make you rethink if the extra couple bucks was worth it.
  • Sell the 9's individually and sell the the 8's in 10 card lots.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion