Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help from all you computer experts.

Since I do not have a scanner, could I go to a place like Kinkos and have then scan my cards to a disk, so I can use the disk to attach pictures to an email? People are always asking me to send them a scan of a card they are interested in. I have to go find someone with a scanner and have them do it. Plus having the disc with all my cards on it might be real handy to have. All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ed
email address: alohaet@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Buy the scanner or at minimum a digital camera. You'll spend twice as much money at Kinkos if you go that route often.
  • Options

Sagard, I agree. Just one problem, the computer I use is here at work. They won't let me hock one up. I spend time after work doing my web searching.

Ed
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ed
    You don't have a computer at home?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

Mike, Not yet. Maybe soon, any suggestions? I work a lot of overtime (including tomorrow) and after doing my web surfing I go home. Which is just about now.
    It is 7:45 here in Hawaii.

Aloha, Ed
  • Options

<< <i>You don't have a computer at home? >>

Hi, I'm 2005, I dont believe we have met. image
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike, Not yet. Maybe soon, any suggestions? I work a lot of overtime (including tomorrow) and after doing my web surfing I go home. Which is just about now.
    It is 7:45 here in Hawaii.

Aloha, Ed >>

If you are thinking about getting a PC for home, I have been very satisfied with a Dell ordered from their websight. They usually have free shipping which certainly comes into play in Hawaii.

Taking the disk from Kinkos to your work PC is not "safer" than attaching your digital camera to a USB port on the same work PC.

Some newer PCs (mainly laptops I've seen) have slots that read the digital camera disks directly. That would be basically exactly what you'd be doing getting a scan at Kinkos to disk.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You don't have a computer at home? >>

Hi, I'm 2005, I dont believe we have met. image >>

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Ed, I didn't know people like you still existed. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but being on a chat board, living in Hawaii, and in a hobby you buy stuff thru the net, one would assume you had a 'puter.

I also agree with sasgard. Dell is the way to go if you can still get the free shipping in HI. Also, if not you can get a digital cam for pretty cheap and hoook it up to your work PC with a usb and be good to go. I would avoid having Kinko's scan tha cards. Since you say there is a kinko's, is there a Best Buy, WalMart or Costco? All of them usually have pretty good deals too on your basic computer. $400 for everything and you can get on the net. Otherwise, you could hit the Bay and get a P3 laptop for $2-300. That should meet your needs if they are simply browsing the net and scanning some cards.

That's my advice FWIW.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    One piece of advice about buying or even using a scanner:

Scanners are differentiated based on their scanning element. The two most common types are CCD (charge-coupled device) and CIS (contact-image sensor). CIS scanners only work well on THIN objects - paper, photos, etc. The thickness of a slab will blur using this type of scanner, thus I would recommend the CCD type. Generally CIS based scanners such as the Canon LIDE models are thinner (~ 1 in) and cheap. CCD scanners can still be had for about $50 and are a little thicker (~ 2-3 in).

Here is a card scanned with a CIS scanner

And with a CCD scanner

Brian
  • Options

If you have a cell phone with camera. You can take pictures and send to your email.

RIP Snow
  • Options

<< <i>If you have a cell phone with camera. You can take pictures and send to your email. >>

Or if you want you could just sketch what the cards looks like since the quality would be about the same as doing it with the camera on your cell phone! image
  • Options

Thanks for all the good comments. I guess I will be shopping for a computer today. I guess it is time to come into the present.image

I have been putting it off for so long and the people at work are tired of me asking them to do things. So out I go into the world I know nothing about. After 61 years it is time for a change! image

Ed

• Options
    It's really not that hard Ed and I'm sure a smart guy like you knows what he is doing so you will have it figured out in no time!
    Also the scanner advice is 100% so do yourself a favor and get one that is of the CCD type. Your scans will look much better.
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm 2005, I dont believe we have met.

Or if you want you could just sketch what the cards looks like since the quality would be about the same as doing it with the camera on your cell phone!

You are killing me.. too funny
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    Thanks iamthegreatcornholio. Your answer explains were my thin Canon takes does not take great scans. Does anyone have a scanner recommendation for less than $100? I have been looking at getting an Epson Perfection 3490 for $100, but I am open to suggestions?
    Jason
  • Options

<< <i>You are killing me.. too funny >>

I'm glad you are enjoying my comedy stylings! image
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks iamthegreatcornholio. Your answer explains were my thin Canon takes does not take great scans. Does anyone have a scanner recommendation for less than $100? I have been looking at getting an Epson Perfection 3490 for $100, but I am open to suggestions?
    Jason >>

I have an Epson Perfection. I believe mine is the 2580 model, but I'm no where near it to check. I think it goes up to 2400 x 4800 dpi resolution, but I rarely scan anything larger than 500 dpi. I think I paid about $70 for it shipped.

Brian
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a HP scanner - in my opinion they are the most user friendly especially for a newbie. Very simple and easy to connect and use.