Home Sports Talk
Options

Joe Thornton a Shark

yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
Not that there's much hockey talk here, but I can't believe he just got dealt. What happened, Bob/onlypsahockey?!? This guy was the franchise, the future of the team. Of the game itself. Is the situation that grim in Beantown? I know it's probably worse here in St. Louis, but at least nothing was expected of the Blues.
imageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    LETS GO RANGERS BOMP BOMP ... BOMP BOMP BOMP

LETS GO RANGERS BOMP BOMP ... BOMP BOMP BOMP

• Options
    btw Yawie, i agree . I hadn't heard any talk about him possibly being dealt beforehand
  • Options

<< <i>Not that there's much hockey talk here, but I can't believe he just got dealt. What happened, Bob/onlypsahockey?!? This guy was the franchise, the future of the team. Of the game itself. Is the situation that grim in Beantown? I know it's probably worse here in St. Louis, but at least nothing was expected of the Blues. >>

WTF!! A little early in the year to get desperate. Reminds me of the Whaler-franchise-killing Ron Francis trade.

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Steve - This trade never would have happened if Harry Sinden were still alive.

Mike O'Connell has confirmed his status as the worst GM in hockey. He should have been fired before this travesty of a trade could happen.

OC has made one dumb move after another. The only way they can justify this trade is if Thornton's back is bothering him so much that they think he will never dominate again. He has been playing on the periphery this year but to move him when they have no other centers is absurd.

BTW - Just sending you an email regarding the V145-1's.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, this looks like a steal for Doug Wilson. I guess they're losing some depth, but it seems like the kind of deal that could resurrect the Sharks' season.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

BTW, Harry Sinden IS alive and well. He's just not the GM any more.
  • Options
    Aweful trade for the Bruins, giving up one of the top stars in the league for... ummm.. Brad Stuart? Wayne Primeau? and Marco Sturm? Why wouldnt they go after someone who could put the puck in the net, rather than some 3rd and 4th line players.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, Harry Sinden IS alive and well. He's just not the GM any more. >>

Not only that, but OConnell still confers with Sinden on most major moves for his opinion. Although OConnell is the GM and does not necessary need Sinden's approval (I believe his position is President of the Org now), he would have not made this move unless Sinden also thought that it was good idea.

Personally, I think it's good move. The team has been going no where for years now. They need a shake up from the ground up. Thornton has never lived up to his potential anyway so this might actually be a good thing for him as well. This may be just wake up call he needed to really kick in the gas and be the player that he has the potential to be.

This is the Bruins. The same team that traded away Phil Esposito, Bobby Orr, Gilles Gilbert, etc.. There are no love affairs with this organization.
  • Options
    This is the Bruins. The same team that traded away Phil Esposito, Bobby Orr, Gilles Gilbert, etc.. There are no love affairs with this organization.

Well let's not be so quick to sweepingly bash the Bruins organization. Through the 60s, 70s and 80s, much under the direction of Harry Sinden, the Bruins were a model franchise making some fantastic player moves. The Bruins teams of the 70s and 80s were as beloved and popular in Boston as the Red Sox of today (well, close, at least). Since then, it sure ain't been too pretty though...

One thing they've never done well though, is draft. Last major draft choice to make a significant impact on the team?... Ray Bourque I think. Maybe it just doesn't happen anymore, as in most sports, that teams rely on the draft in NHL. Until recently, I've been a closet supporter of O'Connell, having bucked the trend and smartly drafted both Thorton and Samsonov. Cornerstone of the franchise going forward! Cheap and under Bruins control for years! Um, yeah...

But, I think history has shown everything else O'Connell touched has gone to s**t, and now, basically, the Thorton draft has gone that way as well. I suppose this is a good move, in that something, anything, needed to be done. They really are miserable this season. But it stinks of desperation. Desperation they put themselves in by how miserably they handled the team and contracts and free agents through the lockout and up to the start of this season.

Personally, I don't see O'Connell lasting much longer around here. And as much as he seems like a good guy, same for coach Sullivan as well. The team, as it's been constructed and is coached, just can't compete in the "new" NHL. Jacobs will quickly realize, if he hasn't already, that he desperately needs to bring in a GM and coach who understand that.

Have heard some comparisons between Thorton and Drew Bledsoe this morning that I think are valid. Two overall #1 choices, great talents, great performances, but always something not there, always something missing that kept them from really becoming the franchise leaders who could take their teams to a championship. Unfortunately, there's no Tom Brady lacing it up for the Bruins though...
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    ~"They really are miserable this season. But it stinks of desperation. Desperation they put themselves in by how miserably they handled the team and contracts and free agents through the lockout and up to the start of this season."~ I could not agree more.

I realize Sinden is actually alive and the President.

The B's and OC have managed to screw everything up for the past 8 seasons. To think of all of the quality players that have gone through the organization and what they are left with is just sad. The way they treat hold outs has hindered the organization as much as anything. When they finally got a decent goalie in Dafoe, they refused to give him a decent contract and than when he finally signed he played terrible after missing so much time. Even this year the way they handled Boynton and Raycroft is inexcusable and set the team back considerably.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the Bruins. The same team that traded away Phil Esposito, Bobby Orr, Gilles Gilbert, etc.. There are no love affairs with this organization.

Well let's not be so quick to sweepingly bash the Bruins organization. Through the 60s, 70s and 80s, much under the direction of Harry Sinden, the Bruins were a model franchise making some fantastic player moves. The Bruins teams of the 70s and 80s were as beloved and popular in Boston as the Red Sox of today (well, close, at least). Since then, it sure ain't been too pretty though..... >>

Well, this wasn't a bash, just a fact. The Bruins have never let personal feelings get in the way of making cold, hard decision if they thought that it could help the team. They would trade anybody regardless of tenure with the team or popularity with the fans.
  • Options
    It's not like boston does these deals to improve the club...it's all about money
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    on the major sports radio station in Boston, I did not hear 1 person call in who liked the trade.
    But it does seem to be a lot like the Bledsoe situation.
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage