Home U.S. Coin Forum

silver eagles

hi to all.
i would like to know what you think about the 2005 silver eagle bullion coin.
at a mintage of 5 million 500 thousand,
how would this years total mintage play on the cost of this eagle in the next 2 to 5 years?
i would like to buy these for its numastic and silver content value.
i estamate the price at 18 to 23 dollars in 5 years.
any thought on the price based on these mintage total in a 2 to 5 year span?

insider at the mint confirms the mintage totals are indeed low in 2005.

thanks for your input.

Comments

• welcome !

i like them silver eagles also. i don't attatch much if any numismatic
    premium to them when buying. They are what they are; bullion.
    If they end up realizing some year or grade premium then thats a bonus,
    Who knows? maybe they will be like all of the other mint coins, having thier "key"
    years and so on. thanks for the tip, i'll pick up some more 05's when i get the chance.
    Whether silver goes up or not is always a guess, but it seems almost certain not to go
    down ?

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    First off welcome to the boards.

I don't make a point to pick up eagles every year, but if the mintage is what you say, I think I will pick up a few for Christmas gifts. Thanks for the info.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• I wouldn't consider 5.5 million to be a low mintage. Yes, for a post 2000 mintage it is low, but from 1986 to 1999 there are only three years with a higher mintage than the 2005. So you have 7 years with higher mintages and about 13 years with lower mintages of which only two seem to command a premium. It doesn't sound like a likely prospect for a big price move.
  • thanks for your input .
    i did a search and found that the totals are in the 6 million area for the 2005 production. the 1997 are at 4295000.00 at 18 a coin red book.
  • Ignore Redbook prices, they can be horribly inaccurate. Examination of eBay closed auctions shows that without too much trouble raw 1997 eagles can be acquired for $12 - $14 including shipping. And silver is considerably higher than when the Redbook prices were compiled.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file