Home U.S. Coin Forum

NGC has really CLEARED up their plastic issue.

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are we clear?

I said......

ARE WE CLEAR ???

.......... crystal .......

And that's the story on the new clear plastic for the NGC slabs. As you may remember, I was complaining about the "bubbly" effect making a dark large cent ....REALLY.... hard to look at.
I complained to NGC and they asked me to send the coin in for reholder and they put it in their NEW plastic.

WOW!

There is no clearer plastic anywhere now. Easily as clear as ANACS.

Bubbles....gone.
ahhhhh......image

Comments

• ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Picture? That would be awsome...
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    This is welcome news. It has always been frustrating viewing cameos and deep cameos in NGC holders because the plastic substantially mutes the contrast.

Russ, NCNE
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddbird.... I don't have the old one. It isn't anything that ....I.... could image, but if you've seen the bubbly ones, you won't forget them. The new ones are terrific. Very very clear.
  • ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    No of the new ones...I've seen the old and agree with you 100%.

Cant wait to start seeing em.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I received an order back from NGC today that consisted of about 25 coins and none of their holders have changed.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • That is a much better move (for re-submissions) than a change to a 100 point grading scaleimage

<< <i>I received an order back from NGC today that consisted of about 25 coins and none of their holders have changed. >>

Well....in all honesty, the letter with the coin said that...... "soon" ..... all coins would be in the new plastic. Maybe they dipped into the storeroom for the one they returned as an example.

sooo..... Better soon than never. All I can say is that THIS coin now looks like it's in glass.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is very welcomed news.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image News!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHO ?

^

a lil sarcasm image
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a much better move (for re-submissions) than a change to a 100 point grading scaleimage >>

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let the reholdering begin................................
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>let the reholdering begin................................ >>

Yep. Planned obsolescence has been

around for a very long time. As you

say.

• BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    This is very good news. Someone must have finally made NGC pay attention. The poor optical quality of NGC plastic has been a pet peeve of mine for two years now. But when I commented about it on their Boards a few times, they made me feel like I was nuts. I wonder if they will be using their new plastic at the Baltimore or FUN Shows??
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Other than changing the type of plastic are there any other changes to the holder? Or is this a change that is not going to be recognized and the slabs have been tossed around by collectors and dealers for awhile and they have acquired the thousands of microscopic scratches that haze the surfaces?
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I just hate the white holders so until they get rid of that.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
    conder.... There is no change to the slab whatsoever (on the one I got)

Just that now the plastic is very clear and the coin looks altogether different. Had no idea how bright and lustrous the old copper was in the old slab. The new ones are nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file