Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Morgan and a New Buffalo. Your thoughts. Pictures.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Morgan and Buffalo are the first slabbed coins of this type I have purchased. Being a Newbie with these a little help with slab grading is needed. They both look real clean to me. Please grade from the pictures if you will please or make comments. The newbie needs to learn.

imageimage

imageimage

Thanks Much.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice and I think you made two excellent choices...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    With 7000+ posts-- you're a newbe and want my lowly opinion?? OK, the 1900 Morgan is the first year with the new hub reverse. The obv. strike isn't strong so I'd limit the grade to MS65. Then I looked at mine and it's not any nicer but is in a NGC 66 holder so who's to say!! I like the nice original toning--I know zero about buffalos but it looks nice too!!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    MS64 on the Morgan, unless there is a rub (no way of telling without tipping it, but it is probably ok) where it would be say AU55. Also, never know what the toning might be hiding that the graders saw that we can't here.

So, what was the PCGS gade?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    I'd go with a grade of MS65 for the buffalo. I don't like the carbon spots, but it appears to be a concensus here that carbon spots don't affect the grade. If it were not for the hit by his eye, I would give it a 66. This is assuming that the lustre is all there.
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file