Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can CU apply Gemprint technology to coins?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Collectors Universe acquiring Gemprint
"Wednesday November 30, 1:06 pm ET

Collectors Universe Inc. said Wednesday it purchased diamond identification company Gemprint Corp. for $7.5 million in cash, plus performance payments.

Williamsville, N.Y.-based CVF Technologies Corp. (OTCBB: CNVT - News) is a majority shareholder in Gemprint. The company said shareholders will vote on approval of the deal Dec. 19.

Gemprint, based in Toronto, uses its diamond identification technology to digitally capture the light pattern of each diamond that is processed."

Obviously it's not a matter of shining a laser through a coin. But couldn't you theoretically bounce a laser or other light source off of a coin and capture the precise pattern based on surface depth, contact marks, etc?

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/051130/1197064.html?.v=1

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    "But couldn't you theoretically bounce a laser or other light source off of a coin and capture the precise pattern"

That's called photography.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    coins scratch more easily than diamonds, thus affecting the outcome....
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    They already have great photography, so I guess this would be intended to take coin identification to another level. I wonder if they believe they could use this technology to identify specific coins even if they've been removed from a holder and dipped. What if they could use it to detect resubmissions, by comparing it to a database of "coinprints"?

Wouldn't that be interesting?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They already have great photography, so I guess this would be intended to take coin identification to another level. I wonder if they believe they could use this technology to identify specific coins even if they've been removed from a holder and dipped. What if they could use it to detect resubmissions, by comparing it to a database of "coinprints"?

Wouldn't that be interesting? >>

Excellent! That's even better than what I was thinking. A thief might be able to alter a coin's surface by adding a thumb print or a scratch, but you probably couldn't alter 100% of the surface without destroying the value. I think that's how the cops use fingerprints: A % match and it's a lock. So long as that percentage is left in place, a coin could be identified and would be almost impossible to fake.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    An interesting idea.

A three dimensional model of a coin, provided it has enough accuracy to measure things such as hits, wear, and even scratches could certainly help figure out the identity of a coin. Additional hits/marks could be taken into effect up to a point.

Measuring reflected light could also be a possibility, but it would present additional challenges as the reflectivity of a coin is affected by toning which changes over time.

Combining the two above methods could help to identify a coin, however microengraving seems to be a better solution, IMHO...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    A combination of microlasering a bar code on the edge and a digital image would be a benifit cutting insurance costs and theft risk.image I'd pay!!
    morgannut2
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I don't know many collectors who would accept an ID number, however small, being lasered into their gem classic coins. (It would be OK on ultra moderns for human readable etching in the fields as long as the number on the slab did not change!image)
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps so, but the reason for the acquisition is probably not anything to do with the question. My guess would be : Diversification.
    Let's face it, if one of us came up with a business in which the market became saturated , wouldn't we want to do the same thing so as to avoid stagnation ? Plus, it fits perfectly. Why not have the Gemologists come to the same store we shop at ? image

I will say it is an interesting concept you come up with Weiss. I have brought up this I.D thing before to end the "crackout" game, but I really don't think Gemprint technology is for anything but diamonds. IMO
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know many collectors who would accept an ID number, however small, being lasered into their gem classic coins. (It would be OK on ultra moderns for human readable etching in the fields as long as the number on the slab did not change!image) >>

What if it was in between the reeds?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file