Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anybody else find this coin store experience strange?

So, I went into this coin dealer and asked him if I could use my electron microscope to look at some coins and he said no....wait, wrong post.

What actually happened is I went to a store near my house I had never been to, mind you, this is an actual store front with posted hours, some display cases with coins, etc. I asked the guy if he had any proof IHC's, and he says "we only sell coins via our website, check there."

Taken aback a bit I asked again if they had any proof IHC's, same response.

Anybody else find it odd they would have a store front but not sell, let you look at, or even answer the simple question?

Comments

• << <i>Anybody else find it odd they would have a store front but not sell, let you look at, or even answer the simple question? >>

Sorry, but I can't answer such a question, other than through my website.image
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody else find it odd they would have a store front but not sell, let you look at, or even answer the simple question? >>

Yes

• Sounds like a waste of rent on storefront space.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Sounds like you walked into an ongoing robbery--I'd have left and called the Police. Not kidding!!image
    morgannut2
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he just needs to get out of the house?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • nope - he runs the storefront as a place to buy coins from little old ladies who don't know any better and then sells either retail on the web or dumps it wholesale...
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I could see getting out of the house, but why have a store front in a fairly busy shopping center, it would be a lot cheaper just to have some warehouse space or something, and why have display cases with the usual, fairly popular junk in them? Mind you, this is supposed to be a place with a couple hundred thousand coins (according to the guy) in inventory.
    Actually, Cecil may have it correct, as it is smack dab in the middle of a huge southern california retirement community.
  • Now that you mention it, it does seem odd. I know of a couple of coin "stores" that operate like that. They either want you to make an appointment or just look on their website. I just never bothered going into such places. On one hand the storefront sign is there to attract customers, but on the other hand, they don't even give the courtesy to answer questions.

Proof IHCs aren't exactly state quarters or dateless Buffalo nickel rolls (I read the microscope thread too image) so it's somewhat surprising to me that they would turn away a potential high-spending customer.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • I like Cecil's explanation too. After you asked about proof IHC's, that person probably thought, "He knows what a Proof IHC is. He's like, a real collector. We can't rip him off. Get him out of here."
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Some Chinese restaurants are like that, too. They've been there for years, but nobody ever eats there.

Could be a front for a numbers racket or some other ne'er-do-well activity.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some Chinese restaurants are like that, too. They've been there for years, but nobody ever eats there.

Could be a front for a numbers racket or some other ne'er-do-well activity. >>

Does anyone "run numbers" anymore?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I bet he pegged you as a knowledgable collector and figured why waste the time. What might be informative is to call instead of visit, and ask if he sells proof sets, and see what kind of response you get.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

How is being a knowledgeable collector a waste of his time (not that I am all that knowledgeable). I buy coins that I like, even if they cost more than usual at times.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I go with the store front is for buying not selling. Maybe they sell common junk, and anyone selling only sees low priced stuff...

Let's see Liberty Nickel I have a basket of those I sell for $1.50 each. I'll pay $1.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

• << <i>How is being a knowledgeable collector a waste of his time (not that I am all that knowledgeable). I buy coins that I like, even if they cost more than usual at times. >>

As a knowledgeable collector, you know that you could, for example, sell a common date PCGS MS-65 Morgan Dollar for over $100.00 on ebay. Because of that, the dealer will assume you know this and he would never be able to buy it from you for $30 and then immediately sell it for over $100 on ebay himself like he could possibly do with someone who knows nothing about coin values.

Why they would turn away a potential high-end buyer remains a mystery. Perhaps that guy up front didn't even know what a Proof IHC was and just gets orders from his boss to turn away anyone with nothing to sell.
  • I know a local dealer that operates in a similar fashion - he'll chase collectors away by telling
    them to come see him at the monthly show if they want to purchase anything.

He is open to buy, not sell, and uses his time at the shop to process the collections he buys.

I still find it strange but obviously it is a successfull business model since so many stores operate this way.

Ken

• << <i>Sounds like you walked into an ongoing robbery--I'd have left and called the Police. Not kidding!!image >>

..........image
  • Instead of meeting at a coin show, we should meet at this place and see what's the deal with this deal!

Jerry
    It would be funny to have a busload of people show up asking to look at various coins and see if they still refer everyone to the website...
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This person was obviously not knowledgeable at all and was sidestepping your question. Maybe he thought IHC meant International Harvester Combine.... ya just never know. Well, so...what is his website addy ? I have met a few dealers in my town and the ones with stores often are very busy. They don't particularly care for customers.... they care for coins. They are only interested in a deal if it is for their benefit, not yours.

I am never surprised at stand alone shops. You meet all kinds. The personalities in some are often met with disdain because of the ANTI-Social behavior attached to one who cares less for the customer and more for the profit.

My advice : Steer clear, or go back and ask for the owner. If he is the owner, ask for his Uncle Guido !
    Well, I actually said "proof Indian Head Cents", I just shortened it to IHC in the post. The website is www.fastcoin.com , from looking at it the owner appears to have been around for awhile so it doesn't appear to be a flaky place.
  • meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    maybe you should have had your geiger counter and opened with "I heard your a scam artist"

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • I know you are trying to be funny by making fun of me and my post about the microscope, but it is like water off my ducks back.

Anyway, come to think of it, it probably isn't a bad idea to ask any new dealer you meet if they are a scam artists just to keep them on their toes and let them know you are a knowlegdeable collector and will not be taken lightly.

Coin dealer's have too big an opinion of them selves and it doesn't hurt to let them know that they are there to serve you, not give you attitude.

I just assume any dealer of anything I meat is a scam artist, why not be honest and tell them? You can work on building a good relationship with them after they have established that you know what you are doing and are on the look out for them to be dishonest liars and cheats.
  • Fastcoin? I know who that is. That is Joel D. Rettew. He's a PCGS listed dealer I believe.

Jerry
    That would be the shop, but I don't believe it was him I spoke with, some other....gentleman.
  • carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Don't know where you live but around here, stores like that are known and are supposed to be left alone or else. Many years ago when I first moved into this area I took my son to a nearby restaurant that was here for many years. No cars in the front of the lot. No people at tables or counters. No waiters or waitresses or hostess. Went in and sat at the counter at lunch time and no menues. A very large guy in a suit came out of the back and said what do you want here. I said we wanted lunch. He just starred at me until a few more people, also in suits, looked out of the back room so I got the hint and left. We also have a few taverns, stores with no names, etc where they are never open but have been there always looking new and open for business. There is a motel near here that always has a no occupancy sign out and no cars in the lot. When ever I've asked neighbors about some of these places they just say best to mind your own buisness.
    Like I said, don't know where you live but if it's like my area, best go somewhere else for your coins.
    However, if you want to have some fun and have a lot of guts, dress up a car like a police car and cruise the area of that shop. Make sure you have a will first.
    Carl
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know you are trying to be funny by making fun of me and my post about the microscope, but it is like water off my ducks back.

Anyway, come to think of it, it probably isn't a bad idea to ask any new dealer you meet if they are a scam artists just to keep them on their toes and let them know you are a knowlegdeable collector and will not be taken lightly.

Coin dealer's have too big an opinion of them selves and it doesn't hurt to let them know that they are there to serve you, not give you attitude.

I just assume any dealer of anything I meat is a scam artist, why not be honest and tell them? You can work on building a good relationship with them after they have established that you know what you are doing and are on the look out for them to be dishonest liars and cheats. >>

Yeah, that'll work.
  • Carl, I do know what you are talking about, but it would be hard to believe this is the case here with Fastcoin and Joel Rettew. He's well known with the ANA and just around. His website has the pushy "fastcoin" look. Somewhere on there you can see and hear an audio of him. I use to get his e-mails and they looked just like his website. Maybe he has gone to nothing but web sales. I didn't check his site for a show schedule. I do also know this. He is registered on the Numismedia site and holds auctions there.

Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file