Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where's the mint mark?

Hello all you coin experts out there! I'm trying to find out where the "D" mint mark would be on a 1914-D $2 1/2 gold piece? Is it usually easy to see, 'cause it's supposed to be there (somewhere) but I'm not seeing it.

Comments

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the reverse, left of the Eagle's tail feathers. May be very faint.
  • to the left of the perch the eagle is sitting on, on the reverse ...........
  • At the very tip of the spear or arrows? Very faint?
  • Hi Raci. Welcome to the boards.

The previous two posts have the right description. Basically, at 8 o' clock on the reverse. The mint mark in this series tends to be weak and subject to wear because of the incuse design, so it will look more like a "blob" than a clear "D".
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the reverse, left of the Eagle's tail feathers. May be very faint. >>

Brainfart. Sorry 'bout my dyslexia. ILD is absolutely correct, the pictures in my head were scrambled.

But it still may be very faint image

• Thanks for the welcome Woodwind. Then the D should be at the very tip of the spear or arrow the eagle is sitting on?

• << <i>Hi Raci. Welcome to the boards.

The previous two posts have the right description. Basically, at 8 o' clock on the reverse. The mint mark in this series tends to be weak and subject to wear because of the incuse design, so it will look more like a "blob" than a clear "D". >>

So let me see if I've got yhis straight: the mint mark should be at the very tip of the spear or group of arrows the eagle is perched on?

• << <i>

<< <i>Hi Raci. Welcome to the boards.

The previous two posts have the right description. Basically, at 8 o' clock on the reverse. The mint mark in this series tends to be weak and subject to wear because of the incuse design, so it will look more like a "blob" than a clear "D". >>

So let me see if I've got yhis straight: the mint mark should be at the very tip of the spear or group of arrows the eagle is perched on? >>

Yes, exactly to the left of the "arrows". For a visual, check out ebay item # 8358228337. The "D" mint mark is actually very clear on this one.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Yes, I looked at it; it was very clear. Thank you so much. Do you have a vote for best grading service?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file