Home Sports Talk
Options

Tomlinson the best?

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
After hearing Marty Shottenheimer's talk about Tomlinson, I wonder what your thoughts are?

I believe LT is the best in the game right now with Alexander a close second, as far as the best well I gotta go with Barry Sanders.

Ditka mentioned a few guys like Payton, Dickerson, ect.. Also potentially the best but career cut short like Gale Sayers- who knows but I think potentially Bo Jackson could have been the best.
Jim Brown would not be as good with todays athletes in my opinion.
My list... Top Five

# 1-Barry Sanders

# 2-Sweetness

# 3-Tomlinson

# 4-Emmitt Smith

# 5-Dickerson

Comments

• Options
    IMO he needs to do it for a longer period of time before he's mentioned with the greats

It's hard to leave off guys like Sayers and O.J and even a guy like Dorsett who retired as the 2nd leading all time rusher

Lets not forget about Terrell Davis. I don't think anyone ever had a span of 4-5 years as he did
  • Options
    Agreed that he has to do it for a longer period of time before he is mentioned with the greats.

As a fan, I have to say that thus far, LT has been a pleasure to watch and better than Alexander since Alexander has a better line blocking for him. But then again, it is not Alexander's fault......just as it wasn't Emmitt Smith's fault that he played for a great offensive line most of his career.

Also, any list that has greats on it will be filled with should haves, would haves, and could haves. If Bo Jackson this, and Gale Sayers that, Terrell Davis this.....we can all say that, but it is what it is.

One note on Barry Sanders. As a fan, there is no one I would rather watch as he was the most exciting player I've ever seen. As a coach, there are about 10 guys I would rather have than him. We need to remember that for every 30+ yard run, he also had a loss in his rushing totals. I once heard that at one point, no one had more negative yards running than he did. As a coach, that would drive me up the wall. But then again, I'm no coach and am a fan, so he's on my list.

And Jim Brown is the best runner ever. He was a living dream. Every one wishes they were a running back that was way bigger than an average lineman back then. That is what made him great. Size, strength, and speed.

Here are my top 5 from the modern era

1. Jim Brown
    2. Barry Sanders
    3. Walter Payton - not the best runner, but one of the smartest and greatest blockers. Could QB as well and was a great leader.
    4. Emmitt Smith - great runner despite a lot of help
    5. Eric Dickerson - As a Payton fan, I always hated this guy when I was younger because I knew he was a better runner, but not better player.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    He's a more complete back than most anyone else...he's a great runner don't get me wrong, but he does the running and receiving thing better than anyone else I can remember...Faulk comes to mind, but Tomlinson is scary good.

Alexander is more of a pure, 'I'm going to run and there's nothing you can do about it' type of runner. His O-line is incredible, but he's a very special player too.

It's hard to group LT with the other pure runners because he's asked (and does) so much more.

And agreed, both of these guys need to continue for a few more years before they are mentioned as all time greats.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprised that Earl Campbell isn't mentioned here. I've never seen a better back who just "couldn't be tackled" and wouldn't go down - it was just amazing to watch him play. I've seen films of Jim Brown with players just bouncing off of him. I have to rate Jim Brown #1 and Earl Campbell #2 with a big blanket on #3 with a lot of great running backs in there.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earl Cambell was awesome no doubt, gotta love NFL films highlights watching his shirt get pulled off him trying to be tackled, I quess that nobody can truly be put in the category of THE BEST.

• Options
    << One note on Barry Sanders. As a fan, there is no one I would rather watch as he was the most exciting player I've ever seen. As a coach, there are about 10 guys I would rather have than him. We need to remember that for every 30+ yard run, he also had a loss in his rushing totals. I once heard that at one point, no one had more negative yards running than he did. As a coach, that would drive me up the wall. But then again, I'm no coach and am a fan, so he's on my list.>>

Wow, finally someone states what i've been saying for years about Barry.

Also how many of the greats were taking out on goaline situations ? He also was not a good blocker or pass catcher

True Sanders was fun to watch run the ball though