Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wow. 1980 Pepsi cards go for over $1000 each

I thought I could get the Carew for around $250. Looks like I misunderestimated.

1980 Topps Pepsi Unpublished Card. Rod Carew ANGELS $1,136.00
1980 Topps Pepsi Unpublished Card. Dave Winfield PADRES $820.00
1980 Topps Pepsi Unpublished Card. Hernandez CARDINALS $204.52
1980 Topps Pepsi Unpublished Card Reggie Jackson YANKEE $1,414.00
1980 Topps Pepsi Unpublished Card. Paul Molitor BREWERS $510.00
1980 Topps Pepsi Unpublished Card Mike Schmidt PHILLIES $1,535.00

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Is that the same set the Palmer is from? They are limited to like 3-5 or something- correct?
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Dont know the pop numbers. test issue that was never released.

I think Palmer was int it. Dont know the size of the set though.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Too bad PSA won't grade them either.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I wondered about that. Did you call em?

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    PSA might grade them. For what it is worth - I do not think the prices are outrageous. Unlike the proofs - these unpublished examples are likely either singular in nature or one of two or three that might exist.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dont know the size of the set though. >>

22 in the set
  • Options
    I underestimated as well on the Schmidt, although I bid $1500! Keith H was a bargain!
  • Options

<< <i>I underestimated as well on the Schmidt, although I bid $1500! Keith H was a bargain! >>

Dang! Sutter went for more than the Schmidt! That Keith Hernandez certainly was a bargain wasn't it.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Was told that there is not enough information to grade them. Should be interesting to see if this stays true or not. I have vintage press plates and proofs of Carew that they won't grade, so i can't see how they would grade these.image
  • Options
    WOW! $1966.00 for the Bruce Sutter card? More than Jackson and Schmidt? This must be the very rare card of the set. The bidding does look a little bit funny on this card. I really need to get a second job to pay for my hobby.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW! $1966.00 for the Bruce Sutter card? More than Jackson and Schmidt? This must be the very rare card of the set. The bidding does look a little bit funny on this card. I really need to get a second job to pay for my hobby. >>

Actually - it does seem bizarr-o in retrospect, being that the bidder just joined Ebay two days ago. That being said - there are no cards in the set rarer than any other. Each unpublished card is as rare as the last. The second bidder does seem bizarre - but, in general, I think any card from this set could potentially have a huge range of prices due to a determined player collector. These cards in the unpublished final card form are essentially the pinnacle of a player set collector - as it is probably the only truly 1/1 card that was made during a player's career
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Wanted to bump this thread after seeing a single card up in BBCE's e-Bay store. Anyone here own any of these cards? Never heard of them, but just Googled it. Pretty neat and rare.

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017 9:06PM

Robert Edwards Auctions has a Ron Guidry from the set that's getting a lot of bids. (I like reverse negative cards so this would be somewhat of a holy grail, I guess.)

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=48739

• Options

Those are some cool looking cards. The color really makes them pop.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options

@BeRoyalKC said:

+1

I can't believe that Pepsi didn't want to go ahead with the set (stupid Pepsi).

1980 Topps Pepsi-Cola All Stars

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Bob-- can the set be completed in both blank back and regular back ? Are the blank backs rarer than the already rare regular backs ?

You ought to buy a share of Pepsi stock and show up at the next shareholder meeting and demand to know who was responsible for discontinuing the production of the set.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Meant to add thanks for posting the album. Very nice collection.

Al
  • Options

@bishop said:
    Bob-- can the set be completed in both blank back and regular back ? Are the blank backs rarer than the already rare regular backs ?

There aren't really blank backs--these are simply proofs that are missing one or more colors.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

I indubitably dig that J.R.

Many thanks for sharing!

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I love those. That digital album is the bees knees!

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I click on the album link and then click on the set there are different cards listed and the cards do not have grades and grades are notated for the cards listed. Strange.

Does PSA not grade these and they just put them in holders?

Obviously based on scarcity super cool set you have Bob!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    When I click on the album link and then click on the set there are different cards listed and the cards do not have grades and grades are notated for the cards listed. Strange.

Does PSA not grade these and they just put them in holders?

Obviously based on scarcity super cool set you have Bob!

I could be wrong but I don't think they're actually in the holders. Besides no grades, there are no cert numbers and the UPC bar code pattern is the same on all of them. Is this a default framing provided in the PSA website's software for if you create a virtual album with scans of your raw cards?

• Options

Because they are unissued prototypes ? Is there a difference in grading criteria among prototypes, versus proofs, versus unissued test cards . For example the Topps B Robinson 1968 3D prototype versus an unissued proof from that issue like Rick Monday. ( as opposed to the limited released cards which are graded)

And I have seen grades on unissued test issues like the Topps 1961 Dice cards, which I assume are not viewed as prototypes or proofs

Well, Bob ?

Al
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Great album and set - thanks for sharing.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

Oops, sorry for the confusion. These are not graded, but I like the digital albums so much I needed to find a way to make that work. I use flips from cards that have no value (or little), enter them into the registry, create a showcase with said cards, scan the cards I want in the album (photoshopping them into PSA slabs with the correct info), and then attach front and back scans of the cards I want in the album. A lot of work but I couldn't figure out another way to do it.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@bobsbbcards said:
    Oops, sorry for the confusion. These are not graded, but I like the digital albums so much I needed to find a way to make that work. I use flips from cards that have no value (or little), enter them into the registry, create a showcase with said cards, scan the cards I want in the album (photoshopping them into PSA slabs with the correct info), and then attach front and back scans of the cards I want in the album. A lot of work but I couldn't figure out another way to do it.

Bob, is there a story behind how you acquired these? Thanks for sharing!

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

So do we really know the quantity printed? I thought I saw these at a card show some 20 years ago in San Antonio. These weren't given out to some of the district managers throughout the country? It seems they were running a couple of hundred bucks back then and I thought they were just a gimmick or something. Man, guess I was wrong...
    ...again

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options

@waxman2745 said:
    Bob, is there a story behind how you acquired these? Thanks for sharing!

Not really. They appeared on eBay, and I bought them (with money). There are supposedly three of each. I'd almost guarantee that there at least two Molitors, since one is currently on eBay and one is probably in a stack of cards on my basement floor (as Al will attest).

• Options
    edited October 17, 2017 4:25PM

I so attest...along with some 61 Dice cards, 68 3Ds, 70 cloth and other assorted stuff. You can trip over the stuff down there and hurt yourself . But no guinea pigs down there yet.

Al
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Never knew these existed. Maybe I should hold on to my 1981 Coca Cola cards.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    edited October 18, 2017 3:29AM

This sheet was auctioned off at the 2011 NSCC by Topps.

• Options

I am getting old . Was 2011 in Chicago where they had the briefcase full of cash, on a table with guards, that Bartman was invited to come and pick up at his convenience ? And a lot of dealer types arrested by the FBI on the floor ?

Al
  • Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

Could you imagine if Rickey Henderson made it into this set? WOWZERS!

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options

@mouschi said:
    Could you imagine if Rickey Henderson made it into this set? WOWZERS!

Would have been quite an impressive item, you're right. A Nolan Ryan would look nice in that set too. For some reason, I'm suspicious they would have outpaced some of the others like Jim Sundberg and Ken Landreaux when it came to individual sales...

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weird thing is, with a print run that low, it's almost impossible to predict what any card would go for. I could see a common going for more than a Ryan if two St. Louis collectors just went at each other's throats. It's all about who sees it on that particular day and how much they have to have it.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

No Pete Rose?

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    No Pete Rose?

Not in this 22-card set. That doesn't mean there isn't a Pete Rose in the world, though. Stay chipper.

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

BBCE sold the Molitor, wonder if another card from this set will surface soon?

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I think things like that then come to the realization that had those actually been made, they probably would have printed a billion copies and they'd be about as exciting as the 1982 Kmart cards are to us now.

It is a cool looking set, but I think for me it is cool because you never see them. I can't really think of a set off the top of my head that looks really cool that isn't also hard to find. For example, the 68 Topps 3D look so much cooler than any set Kelloggs produced during their entire 3D run, probably because I have seen endless copies of Kelloggs cards and the Topps cards are scarce.

@bobsbbcards said:

@BeRoyalKC said:

+1

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2017 9:45PM

I think there is some truth to that mrmopar. One example for me is the 1987 Topps Boardwalk and Baseball set. Small off beat set easy to find and cheap to buy. But the set can be completed without a slash line between the B and B on the front. Tough and relatively expensive ... and more interesting....to me

And in your area of interest, I have a set of the 1980 Topps Coins...only 3 involved, that includes what may be the toughest Topps Carew issue . I really like them, even though they are butt ugly, just because they are fairly unique .

Another example is the Topps 1980 Coke set, which involved team sets and header cards. There were 12 cards in each set, 11 players and the header card, except for the Yankees for which only 3 cards were issued. But proofs or prototypes of 8 other Yankees exist. I have found 7 of them and they seem cooler to me than the issued cards :-))

Maybe there is some undiscovered proof or variation to the 1982 KMart set too

Al
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Another example is the Topps 1980 Coke set, which involved team sets and header cards. There were 12 cards in each set, 11 players and the header card, except for the Yankees for which only 3 cards were issued. But proofs or prototypes of 8 other Yankees exist. I have found 7 of them and they seem cooler to me than the issued cards :-))

Al do you mean 1981? If there are Coke cards for 1980 than this is big news to me as I have never heard of this. Im an avid 1980 collector is why I ask. Thanks for the help!

Jimmy

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

My bad Gem, 1981

Al
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Personally, I think its a really cool looking set. Love the colors.

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

This could be the scarcest set ever to leak into the public's hands. I think it will rise exponentially with collectors over time...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

Nice to see SGC will grade them.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

@bobsbbcards said:

@BeRoyalKC said:

+1

How do you submit these cards to have them labeled with no grade? I have hand cut proof cards that I would just like to get in a holder. thanks

• Options

@vols1 said:

How do you submit these cards to have them labeled with no grade? I have hand cut proof cards that I would just like to get in a holder. thanks

Mine aren't actually in PSA cases--I just PhotoShopped cases around the cards because I like they way they look. That said, PSA should definitely look into holdering cards that they don't grade (hint, hint).