Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

1955 Topps Bill Consolo No Name

First time poster here. The Pancho Herrera post got me to thinking.

I've been grading and selling my dad's collection (50's to 70's) on eBay over the last couple of years. Usually I stick with the stars that he'd kept in a book since the 70's. Recently, I had a chance to browse through boxes of commons he still has at home, and I came across a couple of versions of the 1955 Topps #207 Bill Consolo card. The regular version (generic photo link, from eBay):

Also, I found a version that was missing a "coat" of blue. The shades of blue on the card are lighter than the regular version, and the blue bar at the bottom of the card is completely missing, thus no name showing. The position and team name are there in black. I've attached a scan of the card.

I've checked on the net and on eBay, but couldn't find any other variations of this type. I would say the card would have pulled a 6 if it wasn't for a small crease from top to bottom as a result of an accidental near-fold. The card is still in very nice condition. Another strange thing, the card was returned from PSA as NOHOLDER (I guess this is a rare variation). That's my first experience with that, so I'm not exactly sure what that means. I've had some MISCUT's and EV TRIM's, but none of these.

Any ideas of other similar variations in the '55 set, or any ideas how much this might bring on eBay?

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I have this set and I do collect variations/errors. I have not seen this defect before. I think these kind of error cards are more of a printing defect than a variation. Variations typically are cards the manufacuter intentionally changed in some manner in a latter print run for some reason :

The 52 Sain/Page wrong backs and correction

The 59 Spahn wrong DOB and two corrections

The 59 trade/option and no trade/options.

The 89 Ripken obscenity and progeny.

Sometimes it is not clear if the card represent san intentional correction of a defect or just an un noticed printing defect:

58 Yellows

69 Whites

Sometimes a print defect on multiple sheets can become a "set":

82 Blackless

On the other hand some cards that I think of as mere print defects are famous , cataloged as variations, and worth a lot of money:

The 52 #307 Campos black star

The 57 Bakep

The 58 Herrer

And ,some proof cards even get listed as variations:

67 maris Yankee proof.

Cataloged, older variations/errors can go for a lot on e-bay, particularly with interested master set builders. And, front errors tend to be worth more than back errors. But, my guess is that an uncataloged older common player error/print defect card is not going to spark a bidding war on e-bay.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I thnik there were a few VAriations in the 55 topps set. One card 108 Frank Sullivan where the dotted "i" has 2 or 3 types of marks. The other is HArry Elliott who has an extra line of print or mssing a word. Not too sure on the Elliott.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    The Sullivan and Elliot are print defects. I have 5 different Sullivans, from no dot over the i, to a full or various portions of the dot present.

I have 3 different Elliots. The differences are on the back at the end of the print legend. It ends in either "in 53", or "in " or "in 5" with the 5 partially obscured. Lemke had an article some time back on the Elliot in SCD
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al