Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

WHAT IS YOUR "MOST LOVED" REGISTRY COIN?

I thought it might be interesting to discuss the one coin in all your registries that you have that special "love" for. It might be because of its true rarity. It might be because of the difficulty you had in acquiring it. It might be because of its cost to you or its current value. It might be because of its "look". Whatever the reason, let's hear about it.

To start it off, I will tell you that my special coin is the 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent. There is no doubt that this coin is rare. It is very hard to find at almost any price. It took me eight years of searching auctions to get mine at a price I could afford. It is never advertised in dealer ads because I believe almost all of the legitimate ones are now in the hands of collectors who do not want to sell them. It is this sense of true rarity that makes this coin my special one of all the Lincoln cents I own.
Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough question..I think I have more than one. My 14D and my 22 No D. Mainly becauseI never expected to own either in the grades I have. At the time I felt I paid to much for the14 D and it is the one coin I paid the most for. But I thank my lucky stars as the coin has gone up so much (both have) that I doubt i would own either in those grades if I had to buy them today!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I love them all equally, showing no favoritism. I am a good daddy.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    While there are several I hope to keep forever, there is one special coin that has become my favorite.

1892-O micro o graded by Pcgs MS 68.

I first saw it at the Eliasberg sale, in April 1997. During the auction, it went without too much ado at $54,000, and very quickly, we realized it would be THE buy at the sale, for the Barber halves.

By 2002, my Barber set was complete, except for this date. I had desires to obtain one, and almost bought a Peter Shireman duplicate in AU, but then heard that the Eliasberg coin might be for sale. Knowing it would be moon money, I tried to talk another Barber collector into buying it, so I might buy his(Duckor) example in a lower MS grade.

When I viewed the MS 68 again (it had been over 5 years since I had last seen it), I knew I was in trouble. But I had to have it. So, a Proof Stella and a lot of cash made it mine.

Owning the finest and rarest coin of a series is a true delight.

TahoeDale
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have it anymore, but my favorite was my 16-D Merc in PCGS 62 (it was 63 all day) that is listed in my set #11 all-time under Jon and Lindas Mercurys. It was actually #1 in 2002.

Wish I had that set back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    That is one tough question. I guess I haven't really thought about it. I can tell you it is probably a mercury dime, I just don't know if I can figure out which one. Oh! I have a way to figure it out. If I was in need of money and I had to sell my coins which one(s) would I keep? Two coins come to mind. Both were gifts from my wife when we were much younger. I have coins that look better, and I have coins of higher quality, and I have coins of different materials, but I think the "gift" means more to me any of the other stuff.

1) 1941/42 Christmas 1978.

2) 1937-D Three Legged Christmas 1977.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far no coin has been able to knock this one out of its "Top Dog" status.

imageimage

Ken
  • Options
    Canadian 5¢ PCGS MS67 1915, solo finest. Tough year. Beautiful coin.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Ken, I have a nice MS66 1919-S image I think it would make a nice match for your 1919-D image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rub it in Tony. That 19S was/is right up there also but you own it now. Dumb Me, Smart You !!!

The coin I put up here is my 18D. For some reason I have never been able to get the 8 to show clearly.

Ken
  • Options
    Did someone say 19-s?
    imageimage
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't splain why but mom ALWAYS liked you best!! image

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this one a bunch...

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like this one a bunch... >>

WOW I think I can see why. image
    MS67 to boot.
    Dan
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I have two coins that are special to me. One is in my 1957 Mint Set and the other is in my 1957 Proof Set. Both are Top Pop and they are outstanding examples for the type:

MS67 FB POP 12/0

PR68 DCAM POP 20/5
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭