Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

A Thanksgiving find, tell me what you think.......

I was at my in-laws for Thanksgiving, and every time I'm there I drive by this old jewelry store that also advertises they have sportscards. It's kind of in an old blue collar part of town, and the store looks old, dark, etc. I've driven by there many times and was always curious about stopping, but never did. This time I did stop. I only had about 15 minutes, so I figured it would be a quick trip.

I was wrong.

I walk in this place and it's dark, cold, smells, and no one is there. A tv is on but that's it. I walk over to the case and there are several vintage cards, but most are pretty beat up. But then I spot four really nice 1962 Topps - Clemente, Aaron, Musial, and Maris. About this time a guy walks out from the back. This guy is about 75 years old, has one eye half shut, and looks like the Grinch, I kid you not. I ask to see the Aaron. It's a borderline 7. Then I ask to see the Clemente, and he says to me, "all you want to do is look, you're just wasting my time". I hold back my temper and tell the grumpy old fart I really am interested in his stuff. He gives me the Clemente, and it's a NM card. At that point I'm really interested.

I then left and went to the ATM. Here's what I got:

1962 Aaron #320, borderline 7, certain 6. Awesome color and gloss, 65-35 centered, and a couple of slightly nicked but still sharp corners.
1962 Maris #1, EX-MT. Great corners and centering (and color), but some chipping along the edge will knock this down to a 6.
1962 Musial #50, NM. Great centering, a couple of slightly nicked corners.
1962 Clemente #10, NM. Beautiful card. Great corners, 55-45 centering, clean back. Just an awesome card.

I bought 'em all for $300. Tell me how you think I did. I'll try to post scans tomorrow.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Well if your assessment of the quality equates to comparable PSA grades, I think you did wonderfully. Very nice find.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Even if the Aaron turns out to be a 6, I think I still did ok. I'm pretty conservative in my grading. I looped them all when I got home, which confirmed my initial judgment. I don't have many 1962 Topps, so I'm not sure how the graders look at slight chipping along otherwise sharp corners, etc.

They will be going to Newport Beach soon. I can't wait to see the Clemente, especially, in a slab!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items