Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My first and only Barber dime!

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just received my frist Barber dime in the mail yesterday and I'm soooooooooo excited!

I'm now the proud daddy of a 100 year old 1905-O "Micro-O" PCGS G06 Barber dime! PCGS has graded only 8 of these! It has no heavymarks and clean rims. Nice even wear and a very distingushing tiny little "O".

I have no way of showing it off, so you will have to go to eBay and checkout #8354410607. Maybe someone will be nice enough to scan it or set up a link.

Let me know what you think!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    Looks nice here is a link of the auction, and the pic:

I think I own a couple of those darn things somewhere, only a couple of g-vg common date type stuff.

Zach
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a few days that number will be 9, I've got one in on a submission that is due to post any day. Is that really the going rate for those? I've seen them in similar grades raw trade in the $20-25 range.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Nice looking coin.....congratulations!
  • Options
    ZKCOINS, thanks for the hookup!

I think that it was well worth th C-note I paid for it. Personally I do not know alot about Barber dimes, but with 8-9 total graded, you would think that the trends were way too low. This is a semi-key/key date coin and it is a sleeper. This "Micro-O" may rank someday with the half.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>ZKCOINS, thanks for the hookup!

I think that it was well worth th C-note I paid for it. Personally I do not know alot about Barber dimes, but with 8-9 total graded, you would think that the trends were way too low. This is a semi-key/key date coin and it is a sleeper. This "Micro-O" may rank someday with the half.

Later, Paul. >>

Paul no problem. I personally do not know that much about this date or series. I do know that I like the look of that coin. If you think it was worth the money then it was!! That is what collecting is all about, buying what you want in your collection!

Zach
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Great thread! The pop report is now at nine. I cracked out my NGC graded XF45 micro o and PCGS also gave it a 45. Just got it back a few days ago. I'll post an image later.

I don't think 05 micro o will ever be on par with 92 micro o half as far as rarity, but it is extremely tough to find in higher grades. David Lawrence rates XF-AU examples as an R6.

Edited to add image:

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Stooge: Great pick up ! Coin looks alot nicer than a G6. Now that you've located one of the tougher Barber dimes, why not try and assemble the set ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Stooge: Great pick up ! Coin looks alot nicer than a G6. Now that you've located one of the tougher Barber dimes, why not try and assemble the set ? >>

MFH, I'm really excited about this coin and I don't know why. It must be because deep down, I love the Barber series. Plus I love collecting dimes. I've had my head in the clouds for so long collecting Roosies that I've missed out on other series.

Heck, I don't even own a Mercury dime!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Well friends since I bought this dime, I have since bought 2 other micro-O's and 6 other dates.

I'm offically hooked on Barber dimes.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no, more competion, that's all I need.

Paul, I have the micro o in AU but it is raw. Hope PCGS agrees.

Welcome to the Barber dime club!

Later, Jon
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, thanks for bumping this. The example I mentioned earlier in this thread came back from PCGS graded VG8, here's a pic of the coin in the holder:

Total pop at PCGS is still just 10 coins.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I bought ( in May, 2000 ) the 1905-O / Micro O - in raw state from JJ Teaparty ( graded by Liz @ AU 55 ) ... had them send it to NGC Variety Designation before I would commit. Coin came back NGC AU 58.

My first variety in the Dime series.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I bought a couple of old beauties that came back in a GO04.

Look about the same as the on pictured, but ever so slightly worn more then this one hence the 04 grade.

It is for sale if anyone is interested.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.