Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ever wish you could go back to 1952?

This photo is in the current Lelands auction. Wow!!

Does anyone want to chip in a for a few packs? The uncut sheets aren't bad either...

Comments

• Options
    WOW!!! I think I had a dream with that picture in it. Somehow I bet Mr. Mint got his hands on some of those very same cards.
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish" - Chevy Chase

"I have a split personality, and he is a regular SOB"
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    SMR of the entire table?

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great picture!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much it was to buy that whole table back then???
  • Options
    i'd be happy only going back last year and buying google for $85/ share !!!! matrix
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Given the heavy promo, I would assume this would be towards the beginning of the season, right? Besides the possibilities of a gem mint Pafko and Snider, who else is a major key in the first series?
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Has anybody here ever had the opportunity to buy a pack from '52? If so, what was the price?

Mark
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    '52 packs go for 3500. -4500. They aren't that hard to find (compared to '53 and '54). There are at least 3 in Mastro and Lelands right now, and 1 or 2 in ebay stores.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    That is truly unique. I have never heard of a photo from that timeframe with the very cards we revere on a display. That is truly great. What's the story of those two 12 card advertising sheets? Do any still exist? Also, love the Munsteresque "Hand" with a pack on the display.

Link
  • Options

<< <i>Ever wish you could go back to 1952? >>

I'm working on my DeLorean as we speak. Anyone have a spare flux capacitor?
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    WOW!

Cool pic. I'd love to walk into a place that looked like that..."Excuse me sir, how much are the boxes? $1.50 each you say? I'll take them all." image

Hey, a guy can dream can't he?
  • Options
    I counted 10 boxes across, 4 high, and about 3 deep. Thus 120 boxes.

Say a current box "wholesales" at $50 k. A cool 6 million in cards!

The auction description said it's from a Woolworths in the Bronx.

Linky...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best vintage shot I've seen this year!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I'd pay $30. for a hi res scan.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Too bad none of the money we take with us would be good...unless you got some old bills that you could use.

But a great shot nonetheless...can only imagine all those fresh, crispy cards waiting to be discovered.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I want to try the gum image
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Dear Group,
    This thread got me thinking...always a dangerous proposition.

1. You can go to any coin shop and pick up a 1934 series $500.00 or $1,000.00 bill with ease.
    That takes care of the money issue.

2. The flux capacitor? I've emailed Stephen Hawking and he's working on it.

But other ramifications, if you somehow hoarded all the 1952 Mantles, would all the Mantles
    in present day disappear from the collections they are presently in?

Has Topps ever revealed the print run on the 1952 set?

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    A great picture!!! I wonder how many full boxes there are? I'll buy $100.00 worth of packs please.........
  • Options
    Thats interesting, I have to save that picture on my computer.....new wallpaper!
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    Print runs were always a big secret with Topps- Sy Berger was asked and never told, to the best of my knowledge. He did mention a total amount of cards printed in the mid '70's, but that included all sports and non sports.
    There is the story about the '52 high numbers, they got them out too late and got stuck with a lot of them, so Sy went out in a boat to Long Island sound and dumped them in the ocean.image

• Options

<< <i>Print runs were always a big secret with Topps- Sy Berger was asked and never told, to the best of my knowledge. He did mention a total amount of cards printed in the mid '70's, but that included all sports and non sports.
    There is the story about the '52 high numbers, they got them out too late and got stuck with a lot of them, so Sy went out in a boat to Long Island sound and dumped them in the ocean.image >>

i'm diving off of the robert moses causeway tomorrow ! come on mickey talk to me ! was it the sound or the ocean? let me know it's a large area. i think i can pick up some pro 10's or at least 9's after being submerged for 53 years in salt water. matrix
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    As a nerd, I've contemplated the ramifications of time-travel many times. Too risky.

Lets say...
    In 1952, some little boy walked into the store and said "Oh wow!" and ran to get his dad so he could buy some baseball cards. The kid's dad is next door at the hat shop. Dad decides that his boy has been a good boy, and skips buying a new hat and walks over to buy his boy some cards. He passes a rather upset looking man on the way out, but doesn't think anything of it.

Lets say that you go back in time and clean out that whole store of it's Topps cards....

In 1952, the little boy walks into the store, doesn't see anything interesting and lingers by the comic book rack while his dad is next door at the hat shop. The dad doesn't really see anything he likes, but figures he'll buy a particular hat anyways, then walks over to get his boy.
    Well, that particular hat was exactly what an upset looking man was looking for. It's not there anymore. Being especially ticked off that someone bought his hat, he recalled seeing a man walk out of the store wearing the hat he wanted, goes over and finds him in the grocery store, pulls a gun, and shoots the dad in the face, grabs the hat, and runs, just to be gunned down by the cops in the street. The little boy is scarred for life and ends up in a mental institution where he later commites suicide. That little boy was your dad!

Your greed for cards and misuse of time travel equipment has just erased you from existence. Congratulations.

Your best bet, go back in time, sneak into the warehouse where Sy Berger kept the cards he was about to destroy, and take them all, replacing them with the appropriate weight in blank paper. Sy dumps all the "cards", and you are now in possession of something that was supposed to have been destroyed. No one misses them, and no one gets hurt.... until you unleash your horde of minty fresh 1952 Topps cards into the market, and the pop reports explode.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    "The little boy is scarred for life and ends up in a mental institution where he later commites suicide. That little boy was your dad!

Your greed for cards and misuse of time travel equipment has just erased you from existence. Congratulations"

but if my dad committed suicide in the mental hospital as a little boy i wouldn't know i wasn't born anyway. by the way , where did the hat end up?

matrix
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Some of us may have some of those cards in that display. That's perhaps the neatest thing about this picture.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Lets say that the time-stream is totally linear (as in, no parallel universes). I know that massive gravity wells will mess with time, but we won’t go into that. The second you walk out of the store with the baseball cards, the time line will have been altered so that you were never born, and you would either:
    1) cease to exist and vanish, leaving a big pile of baseball cards where you once stood, ase well as a crowd of shocked on-lookers..
    2) Arrive in the “present” and have no family, no home, no history, no friends, etc. However, maybe you could re-invent yourself with the millions you make from your baseball cards.

The hat? Hmm. Maybe it’s the same hat that Dr Who wears? image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Suppose you went back in time and bought all those. Great! What you did, though, was reduce the supply, and if Topps wouldn't have made any more to fill the void (and subsequently sold them), you'd have less people buying them in 1952, and it's those same people who bought them then that makes the cards valuable today. Those people in 1952 bought them, played with them, lost them, and at some point later in their lives grew nostalgic to have them back, and that's why they are worth so much today. And we buy them today to bring ourselves as close to that experience as possible.

So if you bought them all, you'd be the only one who appreciates them, and that wouldn't do much for their value.

• Options
    Sorry, if I go back in time I'm not wasting it on baseball cards!

• Options

<< <i>As a nerd, I've contemplated the ramifications of time-travel many times. Too risky....q]

You have watched the "Butterfly Effect" too many times.....

....at least it was a post with some thought behind it
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    If I went back in time I'd become childhood friends with Bill Gates. Then I wouldn't cease to exist, my dad wouldn't have committed suicide and I'd be so rich I could afford to buy whatever 52 Topps cards I wanted and my quest for world domination could continue! MWUAHAHAHA.

Or maybe I'd just be childhood friends with Angelina Jolie or Heidi Klum... image
  • Options
    Look, isn't the destruction of the space-time continuum a small price to pay for the glory of chewing that gum with a mint Mantle in hand????
  • Options

<< <i>Look, isn't the destruction of the space-time continuum a small price to pay for the glory of chewing that gum with a mint Mantle in hand???? >>

Yes, but if you did go back it time and were chewing gum with the Mick in hand you'd probably be wishing you could go back to '33 and be chewing gum with the Babe in hand!

• Options

<< <i>2. The flux capacitor? I've emailed Stephen Hawking and he's working on it. >>

I believe you better talk to Dr. Emmet Brown first.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Look, isn't the destruction of the space-time continuum a small price to pay for the glory of chewing that gum with a mint Mantle in hand???? >>

Yes, but if you did go back it time and were chewing gum with the Mick in hand you'd probably be wishing you could go back to '33 and be chewing gum with the Babe in hand! >>

Why bother going back any further? In 1952 you could have the best of both worlds. You could buy current 1952 packs AND ask around to see if anybody has any OLD (T206's, Goudeys, etc..) boxes of baseball cards sitting in their closets that they are too lazy to drag out to the garbage can.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    Yes, but wasn't the Honus Wagner card a desirable card as early as the 1930s? Seems I remember reading it had a "value" of about $60 even then.

P.S.- I'm really starting to enjoy this thread.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, my time machine isnt a DeLorean, but a Ford Pinto. It would only let my go back to the late 1980's. I was able to pick up a few thousand Jordan Rookies at $10 a piece and a few unopened boxes of '86 Fleerfor $30.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Great thread! - I really enjoy thinking about the "innocent" days of sports!

That photo kinda goes nicely with the book I'm reading by Roger Kahn...."The Boys of Summer"....not really the same year, but still good vintage baseball!
  • Options
    By the way, Dallas88, I like your picture. Unfortunately, I don't think even Jesus Christ could help those guys hit a fastball.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Due to over-production from Topps in 52', I wished i was the one that could have stopped them from dumping hundred's of cases in the Harbor. Wonder how many Mantle's are still floating around at the bottom.image
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I don't think even Jesus Christ could help those guys hit a fastball.

You ain't kiddin - I've lived the nightmare since '85!