Home Metal Detecting
Options

Bounty Hunter Detectors

I noticed that Costco is selling the Bounty Hunter Landstar for $290, and I want a new detector with a depth indicator. Anybody use Bounty Hunters? I mostly hunt in parks and around fir trees and am wondering if I should buy a Bounty Hunter. I'm guessing that $300 is the upper limit of my wife's tolerance for a new detector. Is this one any good?

I want a detector with both a target depth and battery indicator. Different sounds for different targets would also be good. Should also be accurate, go fairly deep, and be pretty easy to use. I'm now using a White's IDX Pro and am ready to get something else. Appreciate any help, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    What are you going to do with the--->White's IDX Pro ??? Sell it???

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Shark!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Shark!!! >>

LOL ----- >;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm probably the only Bounty Hunter fan on this board, but I need to tell you I love mine. While the system will tell you it only detects to 6 inches, mine will detect a dime half way to China! There are differant tones for differant compositions, there's also elimination modes. It's lightweight, and the batteries seem to last forever. I have no complaints, though most will tell you a Bounty Hunter is one step above a toy. Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Hey Mary which model do you have? Is the depth indicator pretty accurate. And yup the plan would be to sell the White's IDX Pro.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always spoken kindly of Bounty Hunters, since I've owned one and seen others outperform much more expensive detectors.

While it's true they're rather cheap (in both the good and the bad senses of the word), they are good machines for the money.

I wouldn't give up a White's detector for a Bounty Hunter, but I see nothing wrong with buying a Bounty Hunter in addition to a White's machine.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Silver, I'll need to haul it out of the trunk of my car to see what model it is, but I'm fairly certain it's one of the least costly models. It was a Christmas present last year from someone who did not have alot of cash, but had a lot of heart. image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Never had much luck with any model Bounty Hunter. Amazingly I keep going back to my early 70's model DEEPSEEKER.
    That thing just TALKS TO ME!
  • Options
    I use a Bounty Hunter pioneer 101, and people say thats one step above a toy, but it works great in my eyes. It finds everything underneath it thats metal if you want. Nice cheap machine, mine was $70 from eBay, so far i found numerous merc's and 1805 large cent and well over $40 in current clad....i dont detect much so thats pretty good for an affordable machine....$300 would be the next model or two up i would imagine.
    I'd rather be driving a titleist

• Options
    Dang, Sammy- I remember that 1805 cent you found. I know you sold it but I hope you kept the pictures of it, at least?

That was an awesome find.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I use a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II. $349 retail but can be gotten for $279.I've been quite pleased with it but it's the only MD I've ever had.

If you're used to a Whites I think you may be disapointed with a Bounty Hunter.
  • Options
    Like LM said, I wouldn't give up a White's for a Bounty hunter either, but it would make a good supliment. You've got your hands on a fine maachine their. I've got a White's Prizm III, and I think all the Prizms can out perform any other mid-priced detector if put to the test. White's is known for that, while Bounty Hunter.... isn't so much, but their still good, just I would upgrade if I were you and not downgrade. trade in your White's and spend the extra cash you're going to use on the Bounty Hunter on a nice White's DFX, XLT, or MXT. It's not worth it to downgrade like that. Bounty Hunters should be a starter detector, not a detector for a full time treasure hunter. White's or Garrett are the way to go.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options

<< <i>Dang, Sammy- I remember that 1805 cent you found. I know you sold it but I hope you kept the pictures of it, at least?

That was an awesome find. >>

I definitely kept the pics image

pic 1
    pic 2
    I'd rather be driving a titleist

• Options
    An absolutely fantastic find- all the more remarkable for having been found with a $70 detector! image

• Options
    Well, thanks everyone for commenting on Bounty Hunters, but I ended up buying a Garrett Treasure Ace 250. I bought it mail order and should receive it tomorrow. I'm trusting Garrett's good name with this as I've never actually held any Garrett machine in my hands, so I hope I like it. I know I should've gone to a dealer and at least looked at a bunch of different detectors, but this one is pretty inexpensive, and I don't have a whole lotta time to kick the tires if you know what I mean. I basically gave the nod to Garrett because his book The New Successful Coin Hunting is such a good read.image I don't know about you but all I want for Christmas is a little bit of silverimage Thinking of hitting some of the grassy strips between sidewalks and roads in older areas but am still a bit reluctant for fear of irate homeowner confrontations. Any horror stories to report?
  • Options
    So hows that Ace working fo ya?

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    Thinking of hitting some of the grassy strips between sidewalks and roads in older areas but am still a bit reluctant for fear of irate homeowner confrontations.

"There's nothing to fear but fear itself!"......go hunt those strips!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    <<So hows that Ace working fo ya? >>

Mixed reviews. Picks up a lot of foil which it confuses it for coins. Seems to find some ghost targets that start out strong and then disappear. This despite going with lowered sensitivity. I think I just need to get used to it and start hitting more productive places.
  • Options
    >>Picks up a lot of foil which it confuses it for coins. <<

That will change the first time you get a gold ring image

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    If it's hitting alot of foil and such then perhaps a smaller coil is in your future?

Northern California
  • Options
    I dont have a metal detector but sure enjoy coming here and looking at all the real good stuff all of you guys are finding. Good job guys. I hope one day to post some of my finds here (if i ever get a metal detector)....Now quit reading this post and go find some more gold and silver for me to look at .....lol

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE
    REFERENCES- TOPOFOHIO, NASH, JRCCRUM, littlecrum, LACHU91, HAILIGUY, MIK, PENGUIN, GIANT, MAGAZINEMAN, GOYANKS, CARDNYOU, FRIEDEL, DREWDOG, 49ERFAN33, MONKAPOP, NATANCHAMP, DSCALLON, COACHVINNY
  • Options
    Scott,
    it's funny but metal detecting gives you that same happy warm feeling like when you buy a nice coin you have wanted. It's so much fun researching old sites and digging up history!

Northern California