Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some Ebay impulse buys... and a question.

What can I say, I'm an impulse buyer...

First, a nice little Bern 1 Batzen. Net cost: $16.95

imageimage

Next, a medal that looked quite attractive (Centenary of Vaud independence, 1897). Net cost: $13.60

Lastly, I picked up this nice type set coin. I had NO clue how to gauge its value, since the grade is so far away from the highest that Krause lists.

Krause's highest grade/price is $10 in XF. I paid $94 net for this one. I can't imagine there are that many around in this state of preservation.

imageimage

So how do you gauge the relative value of a coin when the catalog is useless, other than a generic "I like it, it's less than a C-Note, why not?" I've noticed lately quite a few "low dollar" (<$50 Krause) coins going for multiples of Krause as slabbed MS63-65 examples (a lot of the stuff offered by JamminJ for example).

Comments

• Options
    I don't know anything about those coins, but I do like them, and I identify with the impulse buy!image
  • Options
    For what it's worth, in my specialty area I've found Krause to be generally a tad optimistic in the lower grades, but completely out of touch with reality on anything above MS60.
    Roy

• Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So how do you gauge the relative value of a coin when the catalog is useless, other than a generic "I like it, it's less than a C-Note, why not?" >>

For stuff I want to keep and from countries I know Krasue to be more or less accurate, I'll pay 2x the XF price for a generic UNC, 4x for a MS65ish coin and 8x for a superb MS67ish coin.

For your specific coin, Chile is an unpopular country but the coin is exceptionally nice and from the 19th century so $90 is probably about right for a keeper. I've found older Chile coins will well struck breast feathers to be unusual and worth a premium when selling.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chile is an unpopular country

You are probably correct, but I do not understand why. I love the condor theme, but other than part of my Latin American crown collection, I cannot think of a way to structure a separate collection around it.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Chile is an unpopular country

You are probably correct, but I do not understand why. >>

Most of the countries that do well either have a substantial collector base back in the old country (like Greece) or have one here in the US (like Russia). For me, with one exception, Chile always seems to go to someone who just picks up a couple of cheap but nice coins. That does mean there's lots of opportunity right now for anyone buiolding a set to pick up some good coins inexpensively.