Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

WOW! This one looks really interesting...

Comments

• Options
    Here's what the cards should look like:

1911-14 D304 General Baking Company
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm...BSI. The subject of some legendary PSA Set Registry Forum threads, no? We can only hope that this listing inspires similar wacky hijinx.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    don't worry, the server will go down minutes before auctions end. Especially if the bids don't meet the sellers expectations.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Do you guys think that the seller knew it was trimmed?

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    I think anybody with a rudimentary knowledge of pre-WWI cards could see that it was trimmed. Well, maybe a skosh more than rudimentary. I don't know much about BSI other than what I remember of the since-purged epic thread, but one would think that an authorized dealer would've noticed. Of course, one would also think that "an unbiased group of the hobby’s most experienced sports card grading experts" would've noticed.
  • Options
    Block is a major PSA dealer. he would never knowingly sell a trimmed card.
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    lol
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    You really gotta hand it to this dealer with his description.

He claims that this its the highest graded version of the card...actually he says that this its the only card from this set ever graded by PSA.

never mind that Don Luchios has a complete PSA graded set on the registry!

what an idiot...

here is a scan from his set for comparison

Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Upon further review, I guess it could have been a very liberal interpretation of the posted standards:

<< <i>Poor to Fair A PSA PR-FR 1 card's corners will show extreme wear, possibly affecting framing of picture. Surface of card will show advanced stages of wear, including scuffing, scratching, pitting, chipping and staining. Picture will possibly be quite out-of-register and borders may have become brown and dirty. May have one or more heavy creases. A Poor card may be missing one or more small pieces, have major creasing and extreme discoloration or dirtiness throughout. Card may show noticeable warping. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back. >>

Not sure if I'd count swaths of border as "small pieces," though.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Fletch gets the DaBigHurt award for the day.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

BSI for sure enhances the scans of his cards.I found out first hand on a BEAUTIFUL 56 Aaron card.I just wasn't quick enough to catch it in the auction.The card was nice but certainly not near as nice as what I was paying top dollar for.If you don't believe me,check out some of his auctions.I saw a 56 card yesterday that was a perfect example.Look at the vibrant colors on the card and then check the washed out color on the flip.It is as plain as day. I wouldn't put anything past him,big dealer or not !!

Edited to say after looking at the scan of the card that RustyWilly posted,the red on the socks is an exact match for the red on the flip,isn't it ?? image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I met him once at a Fort Washington show.

that is all I have to say about that ...
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    A year ago, I purchased a 60 Topps Clemente PSA 8. Beautiful scan. Paid around $400. When I got the card, there was black ink all over the upper left area that was not visible in the scan, which I now unfortunately know had been enhanced (including the white borders) and in all likelihood the black "cleaned up".

I saw him at the National (my table was near his and I think his father) and he said that he never enhances any photo or would alter the scan. I showed him the card and the color print of the listing. He said that was the way it comes off his scanner. That might be true. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, I would never ever ever ever bid on or buy another card from this PSA dealer.