Home Metal Detecting

Didn't think this would happen again: Rare button find (~150+ yrs old)

Last week during the Thanksgiving time off, my family went to visit my folks but
the kids and wife got sick so we came home early. After unpacking and putting
everyone to bed, I decided to go do a little exploring...

Some of you may remember my post last year about a site that produced some
Spanish reales, seateds, bust coins, and old buttons... Well, that place has been
hammered since that time, but I thought I'd hit it last week and go to areas that I
hadn't paid as much attention to in the past.

There is a creek a few hundred feet away from the most productive zone... that area
has also been pounded but I thought I'd see if I could find something that was missed...

I found a little ledge that appeared to be a spot where I think I would sit next to the
water and I started to go around that area. My first solid signal (and signals are
extremely rare now) turned out to be an old, green thimble. I thought- Bingo! This is
where someone most likely sat around 150 years ago to wash clothes and do a little
mending. I then saw a pottery shard and started smiling thinking- oh yes, this could be
good. About 10 feet from the thimble, I got a solid pull-tab signal, dug down, grabbed a
hand full of dirt and saw the target- a small button. I first thought it was a phoenix
button, then noticed that it wasn't the same design, but I thought it looked familiar. Upon
closer inspection, I saw that it was a New York Lancer's cuff button! (my 2nd from this site)
These buttons apparently are very rare and can bring a good price. Here's a link to provide
some details over on TreasureNet.com.

I find this to be a very interesting piece of early (and pre) California history. During those
early years, the East coast put together a militia in order to help protect/police the areas
out here. Some of these men were the first people to see California become a state.
Here's another Link that provides another small piece of the history. I find it incredible to
think about the guy that dropped these items generations ago and the things he must
have seen...

Happy hunting!

Rick image

Group shot (dime added for comparison):

Close-up of the button... not as nice as the first one found but I'll take it:

Comments

• Excellent find Rick! Buttons are my favorite relics, I wish I could find more of them. Now you have been blessed with two nice rare ones! WTG!!
    Cool links BTW!

John
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Cool button.
    I love button's, esp. old buttons!!image
  • Thanks GR!
    First thing I said when I recognized that it was a Lancers button = No Way!!!

Thanks BT!
    The old buttons are at the top of my list next to coins... kind of a tough decision if it was up to me,
    but when a button has a value of a few hundred dollars (now compared to a gold coin, that'd really
    be tough!image)

HH!

Rick image