Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 O Pee Chee Wax Box on e-bay

I would love to see scans of this bust....

Text

Julen
RIP GURU

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Wild, I grew up in Waterford, MI and my main office for whom I work for is also there. Never heard of this Phoenix Gems though? Scans would be nice of open packs, when purchased.

Stingray

• Options
    It looks too good to be true. Feedback just seems too low for someone who happens to own a clean 71 box. Maybe, I am too skeptical.

Steve
    steve
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    The box was up a few weeks ago and did not make minimum. Personally,there seems to be a glut of 1971 opc wax packs around ebay. I believe its real...but it seems to be a mix box. If this does not make miminum, I would tell them to put it in a Goodwin or Mastronet auction.
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Phoenix Gems has listed this box a number of times over the last 3-4 months.

My experience with 1971 OPC is that the overall eye appeal is poor. The rough cut results in chipped edges which makes it difficult to determine the condition of the corners. I've opened a few '71 OPC GAI graded wax packs and would be surprised if anything graded higher than PSA 5 or 6.

Mike
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I bought the box and received it today with overnight shipping. It is a very nice box and was well worth my low ball offer that I made. Unfortunately, or fortunately I won't be opening it to give you guys any pictures.

For the record, I have opened some 71 opc packs in the past year and pulled 8's and 9's on them pretty easily and packs that have been kept in boxes have yielded some nice cards since the borders don't get banged around
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    the seller of that box was the absolute worst buyer i ever had. he bought a 1973 psa 10 butkus from me on a sunday. i sent him his invoice and didn't hear from him fof six days. at this time his feedback was 22. i sent him another gentle note asking him if he still wanted the card and he said he did but made no mention of when he was going to pay me. after another note he eventually told me that he would pay me on wednesday (this was told to me on a monday) and each time i sent him an e-mail it would be another day as a penalty. he added that i should just go ahead and give him a negative feedback and he would do the same.
    that sounded like a no win situation since my feedback is 100% and i did nothing wrong. i turned all of his notes over to e-bay and finally the jerk paid up on a friday and told me that he was doing it as a favor to me, but not waiting until sunday. i sent the card out the second he finally got around to paying, and i was happy to be rid of him.

my advice is to stay away from this loser. i wouldn't trust him as a buyer or a seller.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    packcollector, that's awesome!!!!

do you intend on submitting packs to GAI for grading or you simply storing them for antiquity?

Julen
    T G I F
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    I could find out where that knuckle head lives very easily. Would be a 15 minute drive from were I work.

Stingray
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Julen

I will just be putting it away for a while and probably sell it as a box down the road. I think it will be worth more as a box than individually. after the packs from the mastro auctions stop circulating for a while and keep getting opened I should be able to double my money. 2 years ago 71 opc packs sold for about 300-400 each. I paid less than 100 a pack for this box, the same exact box that sold for 6200 2 months ago. there were 2 boxes in mastro and 2 others that I know about that came to market , before that there were very few known. enough to depress values currently but not long term in my opinion.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Great thinking, I am sure you will (at least) cover your initial investment.

I would have to hide them far away from my curious hands..... temptation image

I have 4 1981 Topps rack pack boxes w/ all HOF and rookies showing on packs from the multitude of 81 rack packs i've busted this year. I plan to keep them, selling them individually would make less money than what their worth to me.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I think you got a hell of a deal, PC! I am with Julen, I would be verrry tempted to open the packs. What do you think a PSA 9 Munson would go for? 10?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    stingray,
    i wouldn't waste may gas if i were you. i did more research when was in the midst of him jacking me around. it looks like he is some sort of jewelery and coin dealer. the last contact i had was when he was bidding against me on 1977 psa 10's. he was out of his league there. after he continually got outbid by everyone he made me a ridiculous lowball offer on the cards he had lost. finally he said he was buying an unopened wax case of 1977 topps.
    he is peddling some high ticket items on ebay, based on my one horrendous experience i would avoid

i am glad in this case packcollector got a fair shake.
  • Options
    I noticed that he had won quite a few 77 PSA 9s and 10s. I did notice all those stones he was selling, some high priced items. I think he buys stuff low and then turns around and sells it for more, making some quick turns.

Stingray