Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Charles I Halfcrown - Real or Reproduction?

Hello, I don't know the first thing about coins or coin collecting, but my wife found what appears to be a Charles I Halfcrown in an old dresser she bought at an antique auction. The only reason I know it is a Charles I Halfcrown is by doing some research on the internet. Does anyone know if there is any way to tell if the coin is real or a reproduction? Are there any tell-tale signs either way? I can take some pictures and post them if necessary, but it looks like all the other Charles I Halfcrowns I have seen pictured online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Matt
cardmrc@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    How about a picture,,or date,,,or why you would think it is Reproduction??
  • Options
    The only reason I have to believe it may be a reproduction is because I have seen several on E-Bay that are reproductions. The date on the coin is 1646 and it says "OBS NEWARK" on the back. I can take a picture of the coin I have and post it tomorrow, but it looks exactly like the picture of this coin I "borrowed" from an E-Bay auction:

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Great, Welcome to the forum BTW. Somebody with some expertice on these will be here and help! But having all the information ready for them is important and we LOVE picturesimage
  • Options
    Ok, thank you for the information. I will wait to see if someone knows what to look for regarding the coin's authenticity.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is mostlikely a reproduction but it is well worth having an expert look at it. I would need to see a picture because the ebay picture doesn't tell me much

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    In doing a little more research on the net, it appears that the "WRL" on the coin in the picture (and on the coin I have) stands for Westair Reproductions Ltd. However, I have been unable to find the same coin on the Westair website. Does anyone know if this confirms the coin is a reproduction?
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In doing a little more research on the net, it appears that the "WRL" on the coin in the picture (and on the coin I have) stands for Westair Reproductions Ltd. However, I have been unable to find the same coin on the Westair website. Does anyone know if this confirms the coin is a reproduction? >>

Yes, I believe it would.
  • Options
    Ok, thank you for your help.