Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

you guys won't believe this! ***pic added***

I had the day off today and took my truck in for repair. Figured I'd hit an antique store or 2 and see if my run of luck would continue after picking up that Ted Williams Moxie bottle last week.

Store number one, closed on Monday....AARGGHH!

Store number two, open and ready for business. Now I've been in this store before and never really found anything. This time is the exception. I strolled through the rooms and saw a few neat things but nothing that grabbed me. Walked by this one table and saw a small cardboard box of plastic army men. Wait, those aren't army men, they're baseball players. Yellow, blue and white plastic baseball players, like the ones you'd buy in a bag for 99 cents. I chuckled to myself as I grabbed a handful. Boy they looked cheap, even had a few cake topper players in there. The one white one in my hand caught my eye as I saw something written on the front....

Pee Wee Reese

Wait.....

Pee Wee Reese

No, can't be. I picked up another....

Mickey Mantle.

Quickly grabbing the white ones was like looking at a 50's all star team. Campy, Snider, Reese (2 of them), Avila, Musial, Mantle, you name 'em.

Now I knew that I had seen these before but couldnt remember where. A quick search of the net yielded my answer. 1955 Tastee Freez/Dairy Queen Big League statues. 18 in the set, some ultra rare ones, bats are easily broken.

Well, I have 11 intact ones (2 Reese). The other 4 have broken bats but are still collectible. Check the current ebay auctions and Mastro auctions and you'll see lots selling for $500-1000.00 Wow!

Coming to an auction house near you soon!

Also picked up a neat ceramic figure of a lion with a baseball and a red letter H. I assume its a city name (Havana?). Got some other little goodies too and now I have some research to do!

Jim

Comments

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Awesome run of luck.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great find. Do you mind sharing with us what you paid?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim
    Congratulations! Those are great items.

What were they asking for them? Did they have any idea what they had?

I think they command a premium if they're still in their original packing?

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭

there are a few more...most of them run $50 or so depending on how nice they are.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    They were loose. Just dumped in the box with the other cheapo baseball player figures. I almost dismissed them as junk. The 4 broken ones broke my heart when I found out how rare they all were.

I'm on the fence about whether or not to keep or auction them. In all honesty, they are pretty ugly little statues. No personal likeness to the players, no team id's. Not even the uniform numbers on the back like the cheapo ones had.

I didnt discuss with the owner what she paid, I just took my figures and other goodies and ran far far away.

To answer the question of the night, they were 25 cents each. Yep, a quarter a piece, and then the lady took another 30% off as they are having a moving sale. Can you believe it?

Here's the rest of what I bought....

a 1976 Cleveland Cavaliers record album, some type of commemorative thing......$1.00

a Baltimore Orioles baseball bat shaped pen. The Orioles bird logo looks to be like what they used in the 50-60's.......$2.00

The statue I mentioned earlier. So far, my research has led me to it being a souvenir of the Havana Lions, a team considered to be the NY Yankees of Cuba. I'm guessing that its from the early to mid 50's. It appears to have been trimmed in gold and it is beautiful...and it was $2.00 !!!

Now, lets see, thats 15 statues at .25 each so $3.75, plus another $5 for the above listed items. $8.75 minus the 30% discount.

I think my luck is going to run out soon!
  • Options
    calleocho - where did you find those pics??? Those are great! The one I have is almost identical to that top pic. The lion and ball are the same but there is a large red H to the left of the lion.

edited to add: calleocho - I found the site you were refering to, The pic shown is my exact item. Its identical.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Here's my top five favorite vintage baseball collectibles (baseball cards excepted).

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)

Sorry, SC, I just couldn't resist. Congrats on a very nice find.
  • Options
    Boopotts - touche' my friend.
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Wow great find! It is nice to see someone turn up a diamond in the rough once in awhile!

Congrats!

Dave
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    Thanks!

I'm not even sure which find I'm more excited about, the Tastee Freez figures or the Havana Lions figure. Both are exceptional finds and I consider myself very lucky.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Boopotts - touche' my friend. >>

LOL--- you're a good sport, SC, and a class guy. I hope your auctions treat you well.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the great finds! I don't collect that stuff but I am sure plenty of people do. Good luck with it all.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the nice comments. I was quite please seeing the results of some of the recent auctions regarding the tastee freez figures. An ebay auction had 15 pieces and was over $500. The Mastronet auction was the complete set of 18 and was $1000+. I figure that the 11 (plus the 4 broken ones) should bring about $400 at auction. That is, if I decide to sell. My wife is pushing, and I'm on the fence.

I hit some more stores today and I swear that I looked at a gazillion pieces of ceramic crap hoping to spot more Cuban baseball memoribilia like the Havana Lions piece. I doubt that much of it exists in the U.S.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for all of the nice comments. I was quite please seeing the results of some of the recent auctions regarding the tastee freez figures. An ebay auction had 15 pieces and was over $500. The Mastronet auction was the complete set of 18 and was $1000+. I figure that the 11 (plus the 4 broken ones) should bring about $400 at auction. That is, if I decide to sell. My wife is pushing, and I'm on the fence.

I hit some more stores today and I swear that I looked at a gazillion pieces of ceramic crap hoping to spot more Cuban baseball memoribilia like the Havana Lions piece. I doubt that much of it exists in the U.S. >>

Let's see, you spent a little over $6, but auctioning should realize around $400. I can only imagine what your wife will say if you keep 15 ugly little statues (with 4 broken!), instead of maybe getting $400 for them?

LOL!

edit: Super find!

rbd
  • Options
    rbdjr1,

My wife is actually very tolerant of my habit (collection). She knows that I dont spend much on myself and only buy stuff that I know is worth something. I'm not dumping oodles of cash on new product that is worth nothing when opened. Now, she also knows that the likelihood of me selling my collection anytime soon is not probable, but knowing that I spent $6 and could make $400 is enough to keep her happy.

edited to add: Saturday looks like a good day for more antique store shopping!
  • Options
    For those who havent seen the 1955 Big League / Tastee Freeze / Dairy Queen statues before, I happened to find a pic on a website "across the street"......just thought I'd show everyone for those that are unfamilar with this issue.

I have a Mantle just like that one and another with a broken bat. All part of that group of 15 that I found. The website across the street says that in 2001, it was selling for about $250....
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    MAntle looks funny!
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Wow, congratulations! You've inspired me to give an antique shop a shot today as well as a flea market.. maybe my luck will change as I've never found any gems like that.
  • Options
    Thank you. I'll tell ya, for a man who hit 37 homers in'55, I can't understand for the life of me why they'd picture Mick laying down a drag bunt!