Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A tough card surfaces in multiples at the same time...

The 1981 Donruss Ozzie Smith is easily his toughest standard issue. As the first card in the set it is often bent or banded in storage. Also, the sheet position is problematic as well as the typical QC issues associated with 1981 Donruss. Anyway, there has only been one PSA 10 ever grace eBay and only a handful of 9's...ever. Today there are 3 9's up and a 10. The 10 has a very reasonable opening bid. Just an interesting rash of a card that rarely makes it's way to public auction. For those not familiar with the look of Ozzie's 1981 Donruss issue, it's a really awesome lookin' card...

81 Donruss Ozzie

dgf

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I use to have that set in uncut sheets years ago. I remember buying those cards and liking them, but I bought a pack about 6 months ago to check them out again, what a terrible set, bad centering, horrible photography. Guess that it why must be hard to find in high grade. Just a set I do not like anymore.

Stingray
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I actually got a box of 81D a few years ago and there were 6 Ozzies and 6 Ryans. I have to check how bad those Ozzies are.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't resist.

Here are four that I own. If you have enough to drink you will see no centering problems at all. image

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    What are the 9's at onn ebay. I have one in my collection and just found another that should grade a 9.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    The 81 Donruss set is the set I work on the most (after 1977 & 1978). It is years in the making. I love it. The "bad" photography" is taken primarily at Comiskey Park and Wrigley Field. Since that is where I most often saw these players in the flesh, the set has a special look to it for me. It looks like stuff my Dad & I would've shot at the games. I like the old school uniforms as well. The Astros rainbows in Wrigley Field, the Padres softball uni's, the Orioles goldenrod jerseys, and of course, the White Sox home whites with the collars. Just awesome!

Barf,
    Your 81 Ozzie in the lower right actually has a nice image for the issue. Sham 'bout that cut, however.

dgf
  • Options
    millbro,
    I'm thinking 10-20 bucks. Maybe more/less given your timing. But that's your ballpark. If you priced that card according to it's difficulty it should be a bit steeper, but hardly anyone knows it's difficulty and many find the entire 81 Donruss effort repulsive, thus they just look the other way when a card like that is listed. Myself, I love how primitive and unusual it is.

dgf