Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HOFers this year??

I am biased since I have invested in Sutter and Goose the past few years, in anticipation of their eventual nod to the Hall. However, i am no longer convinced. Somehow, I believe that Steroids, Rose may tighten up the entire lot of voters - perhaps, rightfully so.

What are everyone's views on BB Hall this year? My best guess is that no one gets in, but the order of finish looks like this:

Sutter
Rice
Goose

I think Hersheiser has an outside chance, but it will take quite a few years. He deserves it, along with Jack Morris.
steve

Comments

• Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    The complete ballot:

Rick Aguilera, Albert Belle, Bert Blyleven, Will Clark, Dave Concepcion, Andre Dawson, Gary DiSarcina, Alex Fernandez, Gary Gaetti, Steve Garvey, Dwight Gooden, Rich Gossage, Ozzie Guillen, Orel Hershiser, Gregg Jefferies, Tommy John, Doug Jones, Don Mattingly, Willie McGee, Hal Morris, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Jim Rice, Lee Smith, Bruce Sutter, Alan Trammell, Walt Weiss, John Wetteland

I think Dawson should be in. BTW if anyone can pull some strings and get Guillen into the HOF my collection will become much more valuableimage
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Let's Go--Walt Weiss!!image

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    I would vote for Rice, Trammell and Morris. But agree that no one probably makes it this year, with Gossage and Sutter getting a lot of support. Closers apparently are worth a lot more than they used to be, just ask JP Ricchardi...
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jack Morris and Andre Dawson should be voted in. This is a weak crop. I hope the roids issue will influence the voters to choose guys that might have slight lesser stats, but were clutch or had good character.
    Mike
  • Options
    I think this is the year Jim Rice sneaks into the Hall.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I don't think anyone on that list will make it this year.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Jack Morris and Bert Blyleven have shots.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    I also believe that nobody will get voted in this year; too many good players that will split the vote among them. Unfortunately, none of them were great players. I think Dawson, Rice and Blyleven will be the top three vote getters.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my nine:

Blyleven
    Dawson
    Gossage
    John
    Morris
    Murphy
    Rice
    Smith
    Sutter

Steve
  • Options
    Albert (Joey) Belle
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see Rice finally get in this year. Given all the tremors caused by the steroid scandal in recent months, I think there's new found appreciation for old time hitters like Rice who didn't have to use that stuff.
  • Options
    I'd like to see a few of those guys get it. The problem is that they came along 15 years too soon, as they didnt' get the chance to dominate the garbage players that were forced into action during the late 90's-now. Guys like Palmeiro had the opportunity to separate himself from the league average to a greater degree than guys like Rice, Dawson etc... because there were more guys in MLB that wouldn't have played back then. Plus the rule changes, both outright and 'implied' really favored the power hitters now, than before.

Before somebody says it, no it isn't a world game now like Bud Selig says. Baseball drew from Latin America then just as now. The difference is that there are More Latin players now, but less African American, but it equals out in minority players. There are about three Japanese players that have been above average in MLB, so that has been a non-factor.

Next time Pud Selig says it is a world game, ask him how many Europeans are in MLB, Chinese, India. Last I checked there are no Saudi's or anyone from the Middle East. How many African born players? Russian? None.

The fact is that if guys like Jim Rice, or Dawson all of a sudden had four more teams worth of players shoved into their league, then they too would have dominated to a greater extent. Then add the FACT that the available playing age population of U.S. players was at its high point in the 80's, and then dropped tremendously from the mid 90's to now, you get an even greater loss of talent available.

Then add the all the othe sports that took the players away from now, and it is even worse. When guys like Dawson and Rice were growing up, baseball was the game.

In Summation, the value of players like Palmeiro, or anyone from this era is severely overblown, while the value of 70's-80's guys is severly underblown as that is the most competitive era in the history of the game.

Only when that is taken into consideration will these guys get their fair shot at the hall. Until then, maybe Goose will get in this year. Dawson probably next as defene was great, and he was hampered by knee problems often. Rice has a gripe.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    I think Gregg Jeffries at least gets a vote as the most over-rated prospect of 1988.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Sutter, Goose, Rice will get very high votes based on my observation on how the writers vote. I dont know if its enough to get in, but they will be close at the very least. There is no true standout candidate, so this might be their best chance.

IMHO, because of the steroid scandel, more appreciation for defense, a yearning for a player with integrity, this may the year Don Mattingly could increase his totals from last year. I dont think he will get voted in this time, but I am expecting a higher turn out than in years past.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    How about Dale Murphy? A real class act and the best player in baseball for 2 or 3 seasons. 2 MVP's to boot. Back to back at that. I think everyother back to back MVP winner is either in the Hall or will likely be. Great defensively once he switched to the outfield. Played for bad teams though. Yes, I am very biased on this one.

Damian
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Based on the past voting results I think Sutter and Rice have the best chance.
  • Options
    my choices:

Bert Blyleven, Andre Dawson, Steve Garvey, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Jim Rice, Lee Smith, Bruce Sutter, Alan Trammell.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Dear Group,
    I know it's not going to happen, but maybe the voters will be delusional and somehow vote
    Will Clark in.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. As for Gregg Jefferies, I'd be happy if he received one single vote.
  • Options
    What do the writers have against Steve Garvey? Are his stats that far off the mark? He was Mr. Baseball when I was growing up. Great glove and a lot of hits. Had a great looking wife too.

BTW, where is Kent Hrbek!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Ed Rice. If not this year, then likely never.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    I'd like to see Dawson and Clark get the nod.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but if Steve Garvey gets into the Hall of Fame then there is NO WAY Pete Rose stays out. Aside from sub-par HOF quality stats, Garvey was a amoral hypocrite. My favorite "highlight" from Wikipedia:

"For most of his career, Garvey had a very clean-cut public image. For example, in a TV interview before the 1974 World Series when he explained that "I always try to act as though there is a little boy or a little girl around, and I try never to do anything that would give them a bad example." Garvey even had political aspirations, as he would gain the nickname "Senator." That all changed when two years after he played his last Major League game, it was revealed that he had fathered several children out of wedlock and was engaged to two women at the same time."

Known as a good "glove man" on the field, he certainly wasn't off it...
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry, but if Steve Garvey gets into the Hall of Fame then there is NO WAY Pete Rose stays out. Aside from sub-par HOF quality stats, Garvey was a amoral hypocrite. >>

Difference being that Rose broke the cardinal rule of baseball and Garvey didn't. There are lots of pricks in the Hall of Fame, but they are there because they weren't banned for life for gambling.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do the writers have against Steve Garvey? Are his stats that far off the mark? He was Mr. Baseball when I was growing up. Great glove and a lot of hits. >>

272 career HRs isn't really enough to get a 1B elected to the HOF. Was never considered the best player in baseball and generally was never even considered to be close to the best. He had a nice career, but really just wasn't great.

Tabe
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Hersheiser has an outside chance, but it will take quite a few years. He deserves it, along with Jack Morris. >>

How does Hershiser deserve it? He only had two seasons of 17 or more wins, had 3 seasons where he finished at .500, two others that were losing seasons, and finished with a career ERA+ of only 112. 204-150 with a 3.48 ERA pitching in Dodger Stadium just isn't good enough for the HOF.

Tabe
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Free Dave Kingman

Julen
    RIP GURU