Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I just can't win anything.

I place bids on cards that I think are reasonable and I get out bid everytime. Eample #1; I bid on a 1957 Topps Bob Cousy RC PSA 8, SMR $750, my bid $870. Winnig bid $1212.12. Eample #2; My bid for a 1958 Jim Brown RC PSA 8 was $1175.00 (then add the 15% premium and it is $1351.25) SMR $1250.00. Currently this is at $1225.00 (plus 15% $1408.75 auction closes 1 Dec). I do not think that the average collector like myself can ever get cards like this. The top collectors will always beat our bids. I am not angry just a little sad.image

Ed
email address: alohaet@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Looks like SMR is a little low then if they are repeatedly going for more.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Ed,

I understand your frustration, but do be patient. You are bidding on some super cards. I would say some of the
    best in the hobby at 'reasonable prices.'

Good luck. I am in your same shoes, but my items are far cheaper.

Tom

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    There was a PSA 8 Jim Brown RC on the bay for a long time with a standing BIN of $1150. I haven't checked to see if it's still there or not. I know that card can be had in the $1100 range though (if you're patient). I know nothing about the sales of Cousy however.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    At least with the Brown, centering is really the key. Some of the technical 8's up for sale aren't centered great (still within the grade reqs, though). I don't know the PSA 8 you're talking about, but I'd bet that it has nice centering? I've seen poorly centered PSA 7's go for $300-$400 and a nicely centered PSA 7 go for over $700. Eye appeal is really key on this card.

Good luck, keep trying and eventually you'll get one at your price.
  • Options
    Here is a picture of the Jim Brown card. Centering is very nice and the focus is better than most.

Picture deleted!

Ed
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Ed
    I agree with the sentiment that those are nice cards that will command a bit extra.

But, I also believe if you keep plugging, eventually good things happen.

Ya never know when you'll hit it!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I know how you feel Ed. But SMR is behind on many cards. That Brown card is going to go for $1500+. That's why certain cards garner premiums and others don't. Eye appeal on strong 8's can boost the value of a card by 50% at times. You'll find that once you pay the premium and get the card, how much you "overpaid" becomes history.image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Yes there are certainly varying degrees of "8's" especially with this card. Focus is my primary concern, though the awful one in my collection would say otherwise. Personally, I haven't seen a lot of Brown's with awful centering, I've seen some worse than others but to me the focus is always the key issue. I did a search on ebay and the one with the BIN is long gone apparently. A "high-end" 8 is going to cost you in excess of the $1250 SMR, however, there are ones that are available that are 55/45 all around with good focus and can be had at or around SMR. I'm still waiting for my gem to pop up when I actually have the money in hand. image

...the search continues. Best of luck.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont think this is the best time to buy. The holiday season will increase sales, not just in stores, but on ebay too. Wait in January and you will see more bargains.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Ed,
    Didn't you end up getting the 54 Redheart PSA 8 Slaughter a week or two ago?

• Options

Fabfrank, Nice to hear from you again.image Did you not win a certain football card recently that went way over SMR? You are right about eye appeal. With me centering is my pet peeve.

Benji, Yes I did win tha that Slaughter card. I was surprised that I was the only bidder. Nice card but a little off center left to right.

envoy98, You are right about the focus on the Brown card. This particular one has pretty good focus.

To all, thanks for the encouragement. I will keep on bidding.image

Ed
  • Options
    Count me in as far as I can't win anything. This 67 Yaz SMR's at $175. I have seen it go for $130-$140 range. I finally see the one I want, bid $226 & still lose. What a drag. Ever since the 67 set sold by 67Topps, looks like there are more people trying to finish or start a 67 set. I know the set is always popular & will always remain so, but prices are just going crazy right now

67 Yaz

There are some low pops that just got listed that r going to go through the roof when they finish. Like...

Marichal Checklist

and this........

67 Early

are gonna go for crazy money. Very frustrating right now. May think of trying to get another set, if I can get a large group.

Thanks for letting me vent
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    Fabfrank, Nice to hear from you again. Did you not win a certain football card recently that went way over SMR

If you are referring to the 59 Jim Taylor Rc PSa 9, yep that was meimage
    I guess my point is, once you see a card that you like, use SMR as a guide (key word guide) and pay what you feel comfortable with. If it's 2X guide, fine. We all complain that SMR is not in touch with the true market in cards. Some go for higher and some go for lower, but once you get the card you want and have it in your collection, the price tends to fade from memory.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion