Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A question about the obverse portraits on Brit coins

Why did they change the direction of the way the busts face. Example; Victoria faces left, Eddie VII faces right,George V faces left,George VI faces left and Queen Liz faces right.
I know, way too much time on my hands. Hey, I`m on vacation. That`s what they are for, so that you can ponder mindless thoughts that nobody else cares about.

Steve

Comments

• Not sure if you call it tradition or law, but they alternate direction for each monarch. If Charles becomes King or William he will be facing left.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • I thought it was more tradition than law, also I recall that Edward VIII was set to buck the trend, but his coins didn't have a chance to get into circulation.

Dr J
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    It is tradition.

Dr. Jules is right. Edward VIII felt that his better side was shown facing left, so that is how his portrait was designed. George VI, whose portrait looks much like his elder brother's, returned to the tradition and his likeness also is facing left.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, I never knew that.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

• << <i>Interesting, I never knew that. >>

That's because you sir are a mushroom!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is tradition.

Dr. Jules is right. Edward VIII felt that his better side was shown facing left, so that is how his portrait was designed. George VI, whose portrait looks much like his elder brother's, returned to the tradition and his likeness also is facing left. >>

Eddie was wrong, he didn't have a "good side."
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Eddie was wrong, he didn't have a "good side."

Almost true. He went with the wrong side. During WWII, that is.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eddie was wrong, he didn't have a "good side."

Almost true. He went with the wrong side. During WWII, that is. >>

Seems to run in that family, look at Prince Heil Harry!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Usurpers!! Nothing but Germanic types!! Wait a minute, so am I. imageimage

They're still usurpers, but those murdering Campbells are still worse to a true Scotsman......long live the Bonnie Prince.image

• << <i>Usurpers!! Nothing but Germanic types!! Wait a minute, so am I. imageimage

They're still usurpers, but those murdering Campbells are still worse to a true Scotsman......long live the Bonnie Prince.image >>

The Scottish? Ha they usurped, long live the decendents of Cerdic! (If there's any left, i dare say there must be some somewhere!)

• << <i>It is tradition.

Dr. Jules is right. Edward VIII felt that his better side was shown facing left, so that is how his portrait was designed. George VI, whose portrait looks much like his elder brother's, returned to the tradition and his likeness also is facing left. >>

A tradition that started way back with Charles II. But as you'll note even on the hammered stuff you will get kings occasionally facing the opposite way (certain denominations, Elizabeth faces left, on Laurels James I faces right, Charles faces left...), i can't remember off hand but maybe the horseback stuff faces different ways? In essence though it was a slowly built up tradition, they didn't one day just think... "you know for a laugh i might..."
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Just though I would throw these up here to confuse the issue about Bust directions.

Ascention to the Throne 1837 White Metal (18th Birthday Bust)

Ascention to the Throne 1837 Copper (Bust left)

• << <i> they didn't one day just think... "you know for a laugh i might..." >>

And here's me thinking that was all the Royals did!

Dr J