Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

collecting styles

Jim's posts got me thinking about how people collect sets.

Jim has decided to collect a broad range of sets in a uniform grade (psa 8) .

lets put a hypothetical out there...

for the same money...you can buy 10 vintage sets all in psa 8 ...or you can buy 2 sets that are number ones.

which collection would you rather have?

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
Groucho Marx

Comments

• Options
    I would much rather have the 10 sets myself, more cards to enjoy, I feel a PSA 8 card is a beauty of a card and do not see that much diff between 8 and PSA 9/10 to justify 2 number one sets over the 10.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or maybe 25 sets in PSA 7 for me... Am thankful that each of us has the resources to collect what floats our boats.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Bosox is right - it's nice to know that we all have the means to collect what we like.

As to the topic, probably the PSA 8 sets. As Jayhawk said, the difference between an 8 and a 10 is so small to me, that the extra cash is simply not worth it......dang, did a K-State grad. just agree with a Jayhawk?
  • Options
    I agree with the sentiment here. To me there is no way that a set with all cards at 9 will sell for much more than a set with stars at 9 and commons at 8. Since I do football, at 500 cards that would amount to $2500 dollars an individual would have to spend to get the set all in 9. There is no way you will ever recoupe that investment as the value for 9/10 goes down drastically as the population grows.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    For true vintage sets, sets with every card in psa 9 would sell at multiples of sets with every card in psa 8. The differential between commons can be the most dramatic.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For true vintage sets, sets with every card in psa 9 would sell at multiples of sets with every card in psa 8. The differential between commons can be the most dramatic. >>

Jim, that's certainly true - 9 commons in late 50s early 60s sets go for 1000% of 8s. However, that's not how I read calleocho's question. He offers 10 sets in straight 8 or 2 top of the registry sets. Most of the top registry sets in the 50s and 60s are around 8.5 or 8.6 (obviously with a few glaring exceptions, but this is the average). Given that, I think the question is one of collecting versus competing. I would much rather have the 10 sets in 8. I'll even pick up the postage.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I would say that there is a fine line betweenm 8-9-10. PSA even says so in its grading standards. With my Favre master set there is no way I could ever get all 10's, money not with standing. I have toyed with the idea of submitting '90 Leaf cards for a set, since I have a 10 Sosa. Though I have about 4-5 complete sets I could pick out the best, which all should grade at an 8 min. However, even with the current special that is over $2600. Myself, I would love to have some of my sets graded but the cost is way too high and since I am a collector and would probably not sell the set anytime soon I dont see the point.

Therefore I have decided to stick with player (either master sets (for my Favorite players), HOF, 500hrs etc) sets and smaller odd-ball sets. Its a little more realistic for my budget, especially since the Favre master is nearly at 1000 cards, with well over 4000 not listed.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Mark,

I agree. So would I and thats the strategy I have followed.

I was just commenting on the comment made by Bill's Gridiron Greats.

Jim
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    In response to calleocho's hypothetical.....ten PSA 8 sets for me.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options

<< <i>

I was just commenting on the comment made by Bill's Gridiron Greats.

Jim >>

Gotcha. I didn't grasp Bill's post and went right on to yours, taking it out of context. I went back and re-read Bill's post and I still don't get it, unless he is referring to modern (as in 80s/90s cards). If that's the case, he has a point.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I would take the 2 number one sets. Can i choose which 2?

If so, T206 and t212 triple folders

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Quality over quantity every time...send me those 2 #1 sets.image

My style has always been to focus on a few sets and upgrade whenever possible.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options

<< <i>Quality over quantity every time...send me those 2 #1 sets.image

My style has always been to focus on a few sets and upgrade whenever possible. >>

Coming right up! Bob, tell him what he's won!

Well, Bill, for the crowning spot on 2 different All Time Finest Registry Sets, we're going to send this number one set, rated at 9.99 with room to improve, the 1976 Isaly/Sweet Williams Disc set! And that's not all! We're going to throw in this gorgeous set, courtesy of our own resident Hemingway.....all for playing 10 for 2!!!

Edited to add: Sets used for promotional purposes only, not intended to be offensive. Must be 21 or older to play.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Both options would be worth the same amount.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Easy decision. I'd take the 10 sets.
  • Options
    I was refferring to 1972-85, where I do most of my collecting.
  • Options
    I too find this interesting as I went through the thought process in determing my collecting goals for 2006. The question I had was do I concentrate on the sets I currently have (20 hockey sets) only, or do I add any new sets. I chose to add some sets. I would like to have at least a sampling of all hockey Topps and Parkhurst sets from the 1950, 1960 and 1970. I also am collecting 1984 Topps and 1990 Upper Deck.

As to grade and the question how does one afford it, I have chosen my own standards which may or may not get me number one postion but it will be number one with me!
    1950s' PSA 6 and above
    1960s' PSA 7 and above
    1970's PSA 8 and above
    1984 PSA 9 and above
    1990 PSA 10

My wife keeps my spending in line:-(

I look at each set and determine my yearly goals (percentage completion)

Now if I win the Lottery, I'd have to start a whole new thread:-)
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Buckeye,

What sport are you doing in 84 Topps, baseball. How far are you? Give me a PM.

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>we're going to send this number one set, rated at 9.99 with room to improve, the 1976 Isaly/Sweet Williams Disc set! >>

Mark,

So, you're giving my set away?? image Maybe you should wait until my last submission is graded as I'm hoping to get that last 10 I need.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    Robert

I picked your Isaly set because it was the closest thing to perfection I could find. Just in case there might be misconstruency (?) I added the fine print....it goes off the table if you get that last 10. There's gotta be room for improvement!

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

<< <i>because it was the closest thing to perfection I could find. >>

This has to be the first time those words were ever said about me. image

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options

<< <i>not intended to be offensive >>

I'm so offended. I happen to enjoy that wonderful yet under appreciated 87 set. It's not always about value or investment.

Remind me to write an article about a set you are collecting but not quite complete yet. History has shown it drives up the prices...considerably! Then pen is mightier than the sword. image

Your Resident Hemingway!