Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PHOTOGRAPHING LINCOLN PROOFS - NOT AS EASY AS YOU THINK!

For those of you who have attempted to photograph proof coins, you know how tricky it can be. After several months of playing with lighting and lampshades, I have finally come up with photos of my proof lincoln registry set that I am satisfied with. They are not as professional looking as TrueView, but I really enjoyed the challenge. I'd say I put in a total of 20 hours after all was said and done. These photos were done on a tiny budget which consisted of a mini copy stand that I picked up on eBay for $9.99, $5.00 worth of light bulbs and a $7.00 lampshade which I cut in half.

The 6 year old SONY Mavica camera (old camera laying around at work) that I use is only 2 megapixels but it has one hell of a macro feature (I own a new SONY 5.1 cybershot and the thing does not even come close to this old camera in terms of macro!). Anyway, my goal was to capture each coin AS IS and not have to adjust brightness, contrast, etc. If the photo turned out bad, I would reshoot the coin instead of trying to "alter" it with the photography software as so many people tend to do. The only alterations to the raw images were to crop the coin round, join the two sides together and add my logos and text.

Click Here to See My Set Up
This photo reveals the slit I cut in the lampshade to slide coins in and out
One last photo of the set up without lights on

You can also click HERE to see the set if you don't want to view them on the PCGS registry...

Comments

• Toby,
    WOW! That must have been a very time consuming challenge. Congratulations, not only on your set, but
    also on the photography. Your photography skills are finely tuned and surpass many of your fellow registry
    set owners.
    I like your imaging set up. Very innovative. This hobby and your registry sets are really deep rooted into
    your life. And I think you're being properly rewarded with all this fun and excitement. Way to go!

May the upcoming holiday spirit fill your home for Emily Anne's first Christmas.
    RegistryNut image