Home Sports Talk
Options

Most Exciting Play in Sports?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
I'd have to say the kickoff return for a touchdown would be the single most exciting play in all of sports.

Followed up by penalty shots in hockey.

Both are quite rare (though the penalty shot is more common now)...combining skill and luck in one of those moments you don't seem to breathe until it's over.

Any other considerations?

Comments

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I think the triple play in baseball is worthy of consideration. Happens rarely. Requires spontaneous participation of multiple members on the team to pull it off. Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inside-the-park homerun.

Steve
  • Options
    full court shot in nba. or a last second shot to win a game in the nba
  • Options
    Buzzer beater in basketball. You can go from despair to elation in a fraction of a second!!

Best I can recall is the 1990 Sweet 16 game, UConn - Clemson -- UConn down by one, 0.8 seconds left, Scott Burrell throws a baseball pass the length of the court to Tate George -- with his back to the basket, in one motion, George turns around and shoots a 20 footer, nothing but net, UConn wins!!

Of course, in the Elite Eight, Christian F. Laettner then beats UConn with his own buzzer beater. But that was UConn's breakout year which paved the way to 2 national championships!!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with a kickoff return for a TD but would add that a clutch game winning HR is quite exciting and even more so when it's a walk off one!
  • Options
    I like the desperation TD plays.

The Saints TD against Jax in '03 comes to mind; it was even funnier that Carney missed the PAT.

The hail mary for LSU over Kentucky in '02 was also pretty exciting.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the desperation TD plays.

The Saints TD against Jax in '03 comes to mind; it was even funnier that Carney missed the PAT.

The hail mary for LSU over Kentucky in '02 was also pretty exciting. >>

Yeah, those are good too. Favorites that come to mind:

Flutie Hail Mary vs. Miami in 1984,

the "Music City Miracle", and

Cal defeating Stanford in 1982 with the 10 laterals, then the TD through the Stanford marching band!!