Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Little help for a new collector

Hello Everyone,

As everyone knows Christmas is coming up fast and I wanted to get my 12 year old cousin an "old" baseball card PSA graded in hopes to get him excited about collecting cards. I myself have shown him tons of my cards, and he's enjoyed looking at every single one of them, and hearing the stories behind all of them. So, I wanted to get him a card this year for Christmas. I want to keep the price right around $20 bucks. Anyone know of any really "neat" looking awesome old card, prefibly Pre 1970. I was thinking the 1951 Bowman Phil Massi. That's always been one of my fav's for just appreciating nice looking cards. Also, I like the Sanella Ruth. If I could find a PSA 4, or less I think that'd fit my budget. Thanks everyone! Also, if it helps, he's a die-hard Cleveland Indians fan. Maybe even an older team card?

Cheers,
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    Jeff
    How about a 1952 Bowman Larry Doby. Nice looking card of an Indians HOF player who was also the first african american player in the american league. SMR on a 5 is $40 so you might be able to find a 4 for around $20.

Scott
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    try a 68 or 69 Brooks Robinson in 6 or 7....i like the 69 ...
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Why do you want to get him a graded card? I'd think some nice ungraded cards might be more interesting to him. That way he can actually hold and feel the card, a much better way to appreciate the history and age. I'd also think of getting a player he knows. I'd guess that you can find a nice, presentable late 1950s or early 60s Mays, Aaron or Clemente for around $20.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Here are a few ideas that are closing soon.

1959 Aaron

1959 Aaron

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Go for the gusto. PSA 3 or 4 Mantle. Most famous card and player in the hobby. There is one up now...a 68 psa 4 for $20.00. Good luck.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    The sanella Ruth goes higher than that. I agree on the Mantle- I remember my first Mantle was the 1960 All-Star Mantle and Ken Boyer. I love that card, Mantle's look in that card kind of reminds me of his 52 Topps. The card is affordable and you get 2 great players. Also maybe the Manager's Dream 62 Mantle and Mays?

Actually after typing this I am going to write Santa a letter and ask for a Mantle for Christmas lol.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    If he is a big Indians fan, how about a 1955 Bowman Bob Feller? The SMR for a PSA 5 is $40, so a PSA 4 is likely around $20-25.

I think the 1955 Bowman is a great design that uses real photography. Besides, Feller is probably the best Indians player in at least the last 65 years.