Home Sports Talk
Options

Gives me another reason to hate Jerry Jones and his Cowboys

stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not that I care all that much about this one...

Link to Article

Eagles file tampering complaint against Dallas

NFL.com wire reports

NEW YORK (Nov. 27, 2005) -- The Philadelphia Eagles have filed a tampering complaint against the Dallas Cowboys after Dallas owner Jerry Jones suggested on a radio show that his team is often interested in players such as suspended wide receiver Terrell Owens.

"In general, I am a risk-taker. We've gone down that road," Jones said when asked if the Cowboys might be interested in Owens. "I probably have a propensity to try and make things work. ... A top receiver could flourish with Drew Bledsoe. That's always appealing."'

NFL spokesman Michael Signora confirmed the Eagles filed the complaint over Jones' remark and said "the matter is under review."

Owens was suspended for four games by the Eagles on Nov. 5 for criticizing quarterback Donovan McNabb, fighting with team "ambassador" Hugh Douglas and other actions deemed detrimental to the team. On Nov. 22, the suspension was upheld by an arbitrator.

After the suspension ends, the Eagles are expected to deactivate Owens for the rest of the season. He is expected to be traded or released for next season.

NFL bylaws prohibit "any interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce a person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL."

The Eagles' complaint was first reported by Fox.

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I don't see the big deal over this?

He said he was interested in TO....how is this tampering? It's not like he called TO, and tried to get him to come play for them...just said TO would fit in well and would give Bledsoe a good target.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I don't see the big deal over this?

He said he was interested in TO....how is this tampering? It's not like he called TO, and tried to get him to come play for them...just said TO would fit in well and would give Bledsoe a good target. >>>

I actually agree. But I think this probably is "tampering" under NFL rules. Jones will probably windup getting a medium sized fine and privately he'll laugh about it.
  • Options
    oh who cares. Eagles should just ship T.O off. Its not like they want him back.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    He didn't say TO by name.

I think the Eagles are grasping at straws on this one, trying to show TO who's 'the man' in all things TO related.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read this today and still am wondering why the Eagles made a stink about it, Jerry Jones dodged the bullet and answered the question quit nicely.
  • Options
    Here is an interesting article!

Posted: General 29 Nov 2005 12:21 pm CT
    Philly’s Complaint Should Make Jerry Tamper (charge) Resistant
    By Rafael Vela 121 Comments

By now you’ve certainly heard the news. The Philadelphia Eagles have filed a complaint with the NFL charging Jerry Jones with tampering. Jerry’s alleged offense? He stated in a radio interview that he’s a “risk taker” and has taken on troublemakers like WR Terrell Owens before.

We would all be laughing if the consequences were not so severe. But I’m going to laugh anyway.

Consider the source, ladies and gentlemen. The Philadelphia Eagles front office is the party filing the complaint.

Let’s go in the wayback machine to the spring of 2004 and examine the manner in which the Eagles acquired T.O. Owens and his agent got into a dispute with the NFL over procedure. Owens was expected to become a free agent but missed a filing deadline that would have voided his contract. The league ruled that he was therefore still a member of the 49ers. Owens and his agent began working out a contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, who offered the 49ers a fifth round pick and a player as compensation. The 49ers were unhappy with such a low offer for a top-tier WR and traded Owens to the Baltimore Ravens for a 2nd round pick.

Owens refused to report to Baltimore, insisting he wanted to play for Philadelphia. The 49ers wanted more compensation from the Eagles but the Philly brass refused to budge because they wanted to wait on an arbitrator’s ruling that might have made Owens a free agent. The 49ers, Ravens and Eagles sorted out the mess before the scheduled hearing, so the arbitrator never ruled.

The 49ers blinked, fearing they might get nothing for him. They agreed to Philly’s offer of a 5th-round pick and backup DT Brandon Whiting, and returned the 2nd rounder to Baltimore, who concluded they would not fight for a player who was all but signed by another team. Owens then received a seven year, $42 million contract from the Eagles.

So let’s tally this up. The Eagles:
    a. negotiated with Owens before the NFL ruled conclusively that Owens was a free agent. This may have been done with the 49ers blessing, but it did not have the league’s stamp of approval;
    b. paid the 49ers less than market value for T.O., though they gave him a contract in line with his skills;
    c. refused to match Baltimore’s offer, which was more in line with Owens’ value, because they knew he wanted to play for them.

On the other hand, the Cowboys owner said he has taken on players like Owens in the past.

Which reads more like tampering to you?

Oh, and did I mention that 14-hour hearing last week, where the Eagles presented reams of information to the league in order to shut down Owens for the remainder of the year?

Let’s see if we can put the Eagles’ reasoning into a syllogism. It would look something like this:

A. Terrell Owens is a disruptive player. We have won the right to suspend and later release him;
    B. The Dallas Cowboys say they have taken on players like Owens, suggesting they might sign him when we release him;
    C. Therefore, the Dallas Cowboys are guilty of tampering with our player, since it is our expressed intent to release him. Uh, wait……

The Eagles now look like the NFL’s possessive girlfriend — I don’t want him, but you can’t have him!

But T.O.’s the only crazy one here, right?

For you Cowboy fans here is a good website! http://www.blog.theboys.com/
    Go Cowboys!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    Great article ! !

What do you expect from an organization thats never tasted a Super Bowl win image